Home

Need advice on car audio

RpTheHotrod

I'm not experienced in car audio, but I'd like to get a new system. Factory standard ones are just not cutting it.

I'm not exactly looking to be winning any car audio contests and setting off car alarms...I'm after good quality sound with some really good bass (I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly 80s, techno, and trance).

I have a 2008 Ford Focus SE which have 4 6x8s and one 10 inch sub.

The rear two speakers point upwards towards the front.

From what I've been told, I should get two low-mid speakers for the front, 2 mid-high speakers for the back, and a solid sub woofer in the back.

Someone suggested Polkaudio DB691 for the front, Infinity 9633CF for the back, and a good sub is in the air atm.

Any suggestions and/or confirmations?

Potentially I'm also thinking of getting a new radio.

RpTheHotrod is offline Reply With Quote

If its a recommendation from someone you trust, sure.

I'd say look around and compare rates and brands. Obviously specialty stores for car audio would be your best bet for whole systems. Obviously customer reviews and consumer reports are handy as well (never take the salesman's word for it--they're trying to sell whatever they can to you.).

Essentially you want to be sure of its specs both performance wise (efficiency, heating, power it draws, its radio reception range, sophistication, simplicity or complexity of controls etc. etc. etc.) and its physical specs (Are you getting a standard size replacement or do you have to remodel the interior of your vehicle? What are its hookup requirements? etc.).

Speakers you want to consider their drive and power requirements, their housing, and their output quality regardless if you just want a new regular system or one of those torrential sound hurricanes. After-all, why get a new system if its speakers sound like complete and utter $***?

You might also consider an RF choke/filter kit. Unless your system specifically has it (or some other kind of electronic filtering) built in, you might need one. This is important to eliminate the "noise" from the alternator and adjacent devices for the interior of your car. Pretty simple, really.

I'm assuming you're not an electronics nut like I am.

for speakers, shop for ohms not watts. Lower the better, to a point.

stick in the 4 range and you'll have all the neighbors and stores complaining ;)

Get an amp with proper cooling to minimize the wear if you go low ohm. More sink fins the better.

4ohms and high amp will give you the most bang for the buck (vs 2ohm), and a longer lifespan for your toys.

Well, sucks to be me. I have a 2008 Ford Focus SE, and I'd need to replace to head in order to get a good amp/sub in there. Unfortunately, that would involve replacing my whole dash area where the radio would go...and no stores here locally that I can find sell it >_<

Any ideas before I order online?

Well, sucks to be me. I have a 2008 Ford Focus SE, and I'd need to replace to head in order to get a good amp/sub in there. Unfortunately, that would involve replacing my whole dash area where the radio would go...and no stores here locally that I can find sell it >_<

Any ideas before I order online?

Actually, I can help you with this. I used to have a pretty sweet sound system in my last couple of vehicles, until I lost interest in it, and frankly, I got sick of having to remove the items from the vehicles once I traded them in or whatever. That being said, think about the longevity of your vehicle before you spend an astronomical amount of money.

Now for the head unit, it's the easiest part, and brands are no longer really an issue. You want something with 50W x 4, which is pretty standard for any head unit. Don't cry about the dashboard, your local Best Buy or any car audio place with have brackets and braces for every car known to man. Head units can cost anywhere from $50 to thousands of dollars. What separates them is what they do. Are you looking for XM Radio? Remote access? Do you want to link it to your cell phone? My advice is just get something standard with a Front-mount auxiliary input, so you can hook up your laptop, PSP, or mp3 player of choice into your rig. You will enjoy your system more if you keep your options open.

This one here doesn't look bad:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+In-Dash+CD+Deck+with+Detachable+Faceplate/9760824.p?id=1218168619187&skuId=9760824

Also, one other thing. Several years ago, car audio installers for big box retailers used to be very professional. Now days, it is some kid who works part time, on the weekends, and you will probably have to wait for several hours while he works on the 4 to 8 cars ahead of you. So my advice is now is either do it yourself, or have a friend who has at least installed one car stereo in his life time to do it for you.

Hope that helps.

Archived