Home

Star Wars: The Sith Resurrection Part VII: A Glimmer of Hope

Alkonium

"Such an organization though must have ties somewhere. Perhaps it is an ongoing mission to find out. Better to know who you work with," Tonatius muttered in thought.

Meanwhile Tavaryn had steadied himself and slowly made his way towards the group. His muscles were stiff but with each movement, they were stretching to their natural lengths. Still he would feel better if he were sitting. He caught Alriana's smile and gave a gentle look. It wasn't exactly a smile but it said that he was thinking of her. He said, "It's true that we encountered members of Echleon 5. They were most interested in acquiring a sample of the bioweapon. Dr. Pradhes has a sample and the specks. For what reason, I can only surmise that it is to be kept in reserve for something important."

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I've done a bit of research on it. From what I can tell, they've been around as long as the Republic in its current form. I have no idea what the name means, but I'm guessing it's something they coined themselves, because while I've found mentions of similar organisations in the Old and New Republics, the earliest reference to Echelon 5 itself dates around 50 ABY." Iyav explained.

"Devising a cure, or even just a countermeasure would expend the sample I have, and that'll be easy for anyone to obtain. They'd want it for something else, like modifying it so it can be more safely deployed, or turning it into some sort of augmentation drug." Lenatha suggested.

"This man from Echelon 5, as you call it, was not the only individual you encountered there, was he?" Lt. Arnas inquired.

"No, he was not. Nor was he any danger to us. The real threat was a Sith Lord known as Darth Pestilus. He was the one behind the bio-weapon, not the New Empire. He knew exactly how unstable it was, and that the New Empire would do just as much damage to themselves with it as they would to the Republic." Kalla explained. Why is he trying to divert our attention away from Echelon 5? She thought.

"It was a whole squad," Tavaryn said, clearly weary of the whole ordeal. Yet he still had enough sense to know that something was up with the ship's lieutenant. "A whole squad that Jedi Alriana and I encountered."

Jun-la knew this whole debriefing was taxing on everyone involved. She added, "Darth Pestilus made it clear that he was out to get the Republic yet he is not traditionally Sith. When we fought, he drained me of energy but left me alive rather than have me at his mercy and kill me. Perhaps this Echleon 5 knows about him more than we do and may be looking at things for the Republic's advantage though it is an off the books mission."

Tonatius could sense Kalla's questioning of Lt. Arnas' diversion of the subject and admired Tavaryn and Jun-la's attempt to keep it at the forefront. He thought to himself, 'Perhaps there are members of the fleet who know more about this mission than others." Through the Force he sent, Perhaps he knows a member of this group moi chroi or he is under orders to protect them at all costs.

I'm suspicious too, but even if Echelon 5 is rather dubious, we're not exactly enemies, and what we know about Pestilus is important, regardless of Echelon 5's involvement. Kalla sent back.

"There's more about this Sith Lord. As you know, since the end of the Resurrection War, we've believed that the Sith are limited in their numbers to no more than a dozen, but he claimed that they are much more numerous, and he made reference to what he called the 'Undying Sith Empire'." She added.

"Do you have any concrete evidence to support his claims?" The captain asked.

"Nothing concrete, but there's no logic in Pestilus betraying the New Empire unless he has the resources and followers elsewhere to pose a threat to the Republic." Kalla pointed out.

"She has a valid point, Captain." Lt. Arnas commented.

"I'm sorry, but the Senate is going to need more than just a valid point to divert forces to address an unconfirmed threat." The captain replied.

Secrets are valuable moi chroi and the fact that we have no clear idea what they want the biovirus for... Tonatius left the thought hanging. He had been taught to look at all possibilities and this was one of his ways of looking for it. Now this captain was saying that they needed more info on a Sith Lord rather than a valid point. Republic politics were like a flock of weaver birds during feeding: confusion.

"I'm sorry, but the Senate is going to need more than just a valid point to divert forces to address an unconfirmed threat." The captain replied.

"Isn't a valid point based upon some fact or evidence and hasn't the Senate moved on less than that?" Tavaryn asked in a soft voice.

"The only thing to suggest that this Sith Lord was telling the truth is Jedi Kaltas's reasoning, and as sound as it is, we can't act on that alone." The captain explained.

"Then follow his hyperspace trail! It has to lead somewhere." Andorra interjected.

"We tried that, Lady Evenstar, and it had already gone cold by the time we so much as detected it." Lt. Arnas added.

"Then we'll have to find something more convincing before it's too late." Kalla commented.

"If there's nothing else, I think we're done here. Dismissed." The captain stating, prompting the team to clear out of the room.

"If there's nothing else, I think we're done here. Dismissed."

Alriana waited until the captain and the Lt were done talking before she walked over to the captain.

"Captain. If I may ask do you think it would be possible if I could borrow a hyperspace capable vehicle? I'm going to be serving with Admiral Belina onboard the Ackbar as her new Security/Tactical officer and I need to meet up with her as soon as possible."

Tavaryn supressed a sigh. He was tired but there were things to do. He slowly stood and walked past his companions to catch up with Alriana. He stopped by her before she spoke to the captain and said in a gentle whisper, "Watch yourself moi chroi."

On an impulse he placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder and gave a smile. It was hard but he respected and cared too much to force the issue on her. She needed her space to work through her thoughts and her life. He would keep an eye out for her, he wouldn't be a good friend if he didn't.

After what seemed like a lifetime, he let go and walked out followed by Haruka. Once out of earshot, Haruka said, "Why are you and the Jedi splitting up?"

"She needs her space."

Haruka rolled his eyes in a disbelieving fashion. "So you just let her go. Come on there. You two are a team."

"Sometimes change is good."

"Bantha poodoo," Haruka spat out and stopped Tavaryn in his tracks. He looked at the older man in the eye and said, "You're both just scared of your own feelings. I'm telling ya, you keep running and you lose everything." Haruka then turned to head to the ship he docked, "I'm going to get shut eye. Later."

Tavaryn stood there watching the young Avalonian with a curious expression. He then fished his comm out of his pocket and contacted Belina. "Belina, this is Tavaryn. I am curious if you have anything available in the fleet that I can do. Even if it's janitorial services that is fine."

Tonatius walked with Kalla and Iyav out of the debriefing room. "I don't get it. No action because we don't have evidence. Haven't they learned anything in history?"

Jun-la sighed as she walked with Andorra and Lenatha. She was tired and it was showing but there were things that needed to be done. She looked at Andorra and Lenatha and smiled for she could feel the happiness radiating off of them and it made her feel happy. She said, "Well another mission done. It may not be what we want but things have a way of working out. I can say that you two have certainly worked things out. I hope others will be just as fortunate."

"I guess not. Fortunately, Republic Intelligence isn't bound by the Senate's rulings. We he have the autonomy to investigate threats at our own discretion." Iyav reassured them.

"Then what makes Republic Intelligence different from Echelon 5?" Kalla inquired.

"As the name suggests, Republic Intelligence is an official division of the Republic government, and we're not outside the law." Iyav explained.

"And I'll see to it that the Jedi Order does what it can to address the Sith threat. We have be ready for them." Kalla stated, staring out into the stars. Could they prepare for something like this, when they didn't even know what they were up against?

(That'll be my last post)

Ackbar. Command Level.

Belina looked up from the console she was repairing as Tavaryn's voice came in over the comnlink. She took her hand away from the console just as a spark came flying out. She easily ducked it and turned toward Garja and shook her head. "The Ackbar seriously needs to be put into drydock for a month or two after all the combat it's seen."

Garja nodded in agreement. "As soon as Jedi Alriana arrives we can hopefully take this ship to drydock.

"Belina, this is Tavaryn. I am curious if you have anything available in the fleet that I can do. Even if it's janitorial services that is fine."

Belina thought for a moment...and an idea slowly came to mind and a large grin appeared on her face.

"Actually Tavaryn...I have a position I think would be perfect for you. The Ackbar could use someone who knows hand to hand combat and is willing to teach combat classes to those who would like to learn. A few of the crew have been asking about possibly having combat classes and I think you would be perfect for the job. If your willing to accept of course."

Belina crossed her fingers. The crew of the Ackbar were among the best of the best and it would be good for the crew if they had a combat class instructor. But then her smile turned to a frown. The Ackbar's sister ship, the Katarn needed a new security chief as their last one had been killed around five days ago during a skirmish with pirates.

"There is another position aboard the Katarn which is the Ackbar's sister ship. Their head security officer was killed a few days ago and they really need a new one."

Tavaryn pondered a moment. Security while mundane was a worthwhile thing but he had spent nearly his entire life being security for the Jedi even if it was only from the shadows. Thinking of that made him think of Echleon 5 and he nearly growled at that. Being a combat instructor sounded fun. He replied, "I'll take the post aboard the Ackbar Belina. Combat training I would be willing to be a part of. I hope your men have the stomach for some of the more agressive Avalonian techniques."

It was a start. He would work within the fleet and come to understand more the "official" side of things. The Shinigami may call him but he would send word to pass it on to someone else for awhile. He needed this.

Then an idea hit. He knew that Haruka really had nothing left to go to even though he was one of the best smugglers ever. The kid would probably be bored after all this heck he may be bored if he went through with this crazy idea. Oh well he might as well try. He hoped that the kid wouldn't be too upset if he spoke for him. He added, "I might be able to convince a friend of mine to be your new security chief on the Katarn. He is a smuggler by trade but he knows enough to point out potential security breaks. If you are willing..."

Jun-la trudged up the ramp to the Ebon Hawk. She was exhausted from a day's work and just wanted some down time on the way back to Republic space. She walked through the familiar halls and came across a familiar shadow. She smiled and went to it.

Tonatius followed the stare of Kalla. He added, "We will be ready for them moi chroi. Even my people will see to it." He gently grasped her good hand and entwined his fingers with hers. They would face it together.

((My last post))

"I might be able to convince a friend of mine to be your new security chief on the Katarn. He is a smuggler by trade but he knows enough to point out potential security breaks. If you are willing..."

Belina thought about that for a moment and then motioned Garja to come over so they could discuss it. After a very short conversation Belina nodded even though she knew Tavaryn couldn't see her.

"Alright, we'll give your friend a try if you can persaude him to try out for the job. If it's alright with you, we'll meet up with the Enterprise and grab you two then we're going to be putting into drydock for a month or so."

Belina then closed the channel and smiled at Garja. "Set course for the Enterprise's coordinates and then engage hyperdrive." Garja nodded once and then the helm officer obeyed the command.

(My last post.)

Archived