Home

Strange Internet Problem

I have 2 computers at my house and they are both connected the internet via one router connected to my modem.

The problem arose a few days ago when my cable company called and said they needed to rewire my house because they were converting to digital lines. I postponed the visit from that week to a few weeks from now thinking that it was unimportant.

The next day my internet goes out, so I reset my modem and it worked fine again. The next day however my upstairs computer (Vista 32 bit) lost its internet. I was able to get it back after trying the reconnection wizard (although it said it failed).

Since then I have discovered that whichever computer on my network starts up first gets the network (which normally is my downstairs computer (Vista 64 bit)) is, while the other one sometimes does (when it goes it lasts from 2 hours to 5 minutes).

Does anyone know what is wrong here? If this a Vista issue or something I should discuss with my cable provider? (aka some guy in India)

It seems like maybe your ISP changed how they handle DHCP or DNS addressing. You will need to contact them, as you may need to reconfigure your router via the router's software. You may have been switched from Dynamic to static IP adressing as well, which could confuse the router.

Before going thru the hassle of contacting the ISP, check their website FAQ's. Might find what you need there.

Yeah it is my ISP.

Upon calling them they said that their phone lines were overloaded, and they were having connection problems.

When they stopped me before the pre recorded network reset walk though, I knew that they have screwed up big time.

Archived