Home

We can't get a break >.<

Jae Onasi

On the eve of me being off work for 8 weeks for knee surgery tomorrow, Point Man's computer decided to crap out. First, we lost all sound. We checked the sound card, it's seated fine, all software was current.

So, Point Man cleaned out all dust and turned it back on. We heard a loud whirring from the motherboard fan. At that point, we got no lights on the keyboard, no video at all, and no sound whatsoever. I don't know if the PSU fan came on or not. So, we decided not to fry out the motherboard and turned it off to ask for help. At this point, we're hoping it's a psu problem and not a motherboard problem.

Any suggestions on what to work on first?

Uh-oh.

Do you have another PSU handy (or that you could momentarily "borrow" from another machine) that you could hook up to see if that's the problem? You'd at least be able to eliminate a bad PSU as the cause of your woes. Just be sure that the main motherboard plug has the same number of pins.

Could you also list the make, model and age of this machine?

Damnit! Is this the pc you were going to be playing during your recuperation? That sucks!

My media centre pc of four years went out in classical hollywood fashion just last night.. There was *literally* a puff of smoke and the thing went dead. Being a tech DIYer means I have at least 2 or 3 pcs other hanging around, so a replacement was up and working within the hour.

As for your pc Jae, as Q outlines, a differential diagnosis is the only way to isolate individual components as faulty. I'd definitely try the PSU first. If you don't have the spare kit and don't know anyone that does, then a pc repair place may be the only viable option.

Let us know how you go.

mtfbwya

I'd try testing that sound card and then the graphics card in another machine next.

Even if it is the motherboard, and it's an OEM machine, you may be able to find a cheap replacement on Fleabay if it's a popular model, and maybe even if it isn't.

Point Man did get a new PSU upon advice from here that it might be that. He installed it, and that solved the problem! We got one with 850 watts instead of 750 this time.

The sound card drivers had to be re-installed for some reason, but that took care of that problem, too.

Happily, this was not the computer that is the one I'm gaming on during recuperation. Right now, Point Man has my computer hooked up to the HDTV, all of which he moved to one of the downstairs bedrooms. I'm staying there for a couple weeks until I can climb the stairs to our upstairs bedroom. I haven't tried gaming on it yet because I just haven't felt up to much of anything, but I think I'll feel up to it in a few more days. Games will look AWESOME on it. :)

Next time, I'll remember to add more detailed specs, which would have made life a whole lot easier for you all.

Thank you both very much for the help! :)

Archived