Home

PS3 Move/Kinect Hybrid in the future?

Qui-Gon Glenn

First things first, do not look for the link, there isn't one. This is purely speculative.

It crossed my mind, after having played Kinect over the holiday and now owning the Move (w00t santa)... Both are fun, Kinect is to me waaaaaay cooler but still not polished, whereas Move is an upgrade from Wii but really, is a Sony Wii. BUT IT DOES USE THE PSEYE......

So, I was thinking to myself.... Self:

The PS3's lifespan is far from over. It will probably live longer than the PS2, which is still somewhat alive, although nearing its end. The hardware is significantly superior to XBOX/Wii in general, so the competition will release their new machines before Sony...

Sony showed remarkably low levels of innovation with the Move. It is a rip-off, and works quite well. My thought (finally, the thread topic!) - why couldn't Sony at some point update the PSEye, replacing it with a Kinect style triple camera. This would effectively raise the stakes enormously, and seems to me the ultimate way to do motion control for the next ten years... My thought here is that the Move gives the camera fixed points on your body at the start of a game, which I imagine it builds a skeleton out of along with the data supplied by the camera. Add those fixed points with the greater sensitivity and superior motion tracking of Kinect, and I would think the digitization of the player would be just about perfect.

Sony did it once, why not again? I have generally been a Sony/Playstation guy, but I have no fanboy inclination. The Kinect is cool, why not rip it off Sony?

BTW - I mercilessly have derided the Kinect dance game... then I played it.

Pretty effin cool.

EDIT: if this should be in Outlanders I apologize....

The reason is because Kinect isn't just three cameras in a tube, there's a lot that goes into the hardware and programming for Kinect that Sony can't easily replicate without infringing on a few patents that Microsoft holds.

Move on the other hand was pretty easy since Sony has been working on Move for quite some time now and is basically just a reverse of what the Wiimote does to work.

Move on the other hand was pretty easy since Sony has been working on Move for quite some time now and is basically just a reverse of what the Wiimote does to work.

My point exactly... add this to the long length of the PS3, and by your own reasoning a Kinect style Eye is possible by reverse engineering.

As far as patents go... Sony avoided these issues with the Wii. How much more hardcore is M$ than Nintendo regarding IP? I can't imagine they are that much different, but you might know that better than I.

No, I meant that the tech in Move is LITERALLY the reverse on the Wiimote.

The Wiimote has a camera in it that tracks the infrared lights in the sensor bar. The Move has a glowing ball that the PSEye tracks with its camera... it's reversed, therefore no patent infringement.

'

Kinect on the other hand isn't anywhere near as simple as you think it is. It's an entirely different beast and the tech in it is actually quite impressive. Ask all of the folks who have been creating hacked programs for it... Sony can't just up and say "oh, let's ripoff Kinect"... well they CAN say that, but it'll take them longer than you'd think to pull it off.

Also, as I said, Sony didn't just decide to one day release the Move... it took them a very long time to develop it... So it'd take quite a long time, if they decided to, to create their own Kinect type device.

No, I meant that the tech in Move is LITERALLY the reverse on the Wiimote.
This I did not know... How novel! Clever little thieves...

Kinect... It's an entirely different beast and the tech in it is actually quite impressive. Ask all of the folks who have been creating hacked programs for it... Sony can't just up and say "oh, let's ripoff Kinect"... well they CAN say that, but it'll take them longer than you'd think to pull it off.
Never did I say it was simple. I think it is quite impressive, and am excited enough by the prospects of it to be a little jealous... thus the wishful thinking.

So it'd take quite a long time, if they decided to, to create their own Kinect type device.
Agreed, but having already used a camera for motion sensing... just a natural progression. I wonder if there are really that many patents involved (I haven't a clue) but it seems that there should be many ways to achieve a Kinect or better experience by using the same tech a little different.

It is a fantasy argument though... I am not taking any stock, rather just thinking out loud and hoping someone might have something interesting to say. Lynk wins!

Sabre and Mav draw at their last and laster gen device choices :carms:

"Look Frank, it's a toaster!" :devburn:

How much more hardcore is M$ than Nintendo regarding IP?

Depends. How anal about 'illegal modification' or 'unapproved cooling devices' are they?

(Hint: Iff attempting to fix the RROD "without towels" as per that instructables article, DO NOT replace the fan inside the 360 with ANYTHING other than a direct replacement of the same because its BIOS *will* pick it up.)

"Look Frank, it's a toaster!" :devburn:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

MS licensed most of the tech used in the Kinect rather than developing it themselves. There's no reason Sony couldn't do the same with the same companies or others who make the same sort of thing. It's not exactly revolutionary after all.

But this is Microsoft we're talking about. They're going to hold onto this advantage they have with Kinect as long as possible, even if it means buying out said companies (or rather, said COMPANY). They've done it plenty of times in the past.

As for it being revolutionary... there are far more applications for the technology than just video games to consider. The combination of technology Kinect is using as well as the programming isn't really like anything that's been done before... but whether a person calls that revolutionary or not is a personal choice I guess ;)

In-video motion tracking is old news. It has been around for years. All MS did was take an off-the-shelf system and write a bit of code to change it from actually doing something useful to interacting with a bunch of lame mini-games. Like I said, hardly revolutionary. And even if you leave aside the hardware and focus instead on the software, again it's not exactly impressive given that a bunch of people wrote open source code for it to utilise with a PC in just a few weeks.

Motion tracking is old news, however people still come up with new ways to motion track and that's what the Israeli company Microsoft licensed the tech for Kinect did. Just like the company Nintendo licensed the Wii Remote tech did and so on.

And sure, you can buy a couple of cameras, a thermal sensor, microphones, etc and put together a makeshift Kinect, but the idea is still patented and to sell it, Sony would have to go about it much differently like they did with Move... though, as I was trying to say before... it's not such a simple deal.

The fact that people have created their own programs for Kinect should be seen as a good thing because it allows people to experiment with the technology and come up with their own ideas... much like that one dude did when the Wii Remote came out and created his own head-tracking demo using the Wii Remote... in fact, that guy is now working for Microsoft now lol.

Things like this are revolutionary because these motion controlled "lame mini-games" are bringing in new audiences into the world of video games. I say, that's enough to give companies like Microsoft and Nintendo and even Sony with their effort a pat on the back. Sure they're all just doing it to make the moneys, but that's kind of a given... it's business after all.

I like the steps that are being taken to expand video games into new directions, even if the directions being taken aren't the kind of thing I'm personally interested in. I have no interest in Kinect at the moment simply because it has no games that I'd want to play for it... but if it ever does, then I'll get one just like that.

On another note... XD You know, I kind of wonder if you've ever found any sort of enjoyment out of video games or if you're just downright cynical about everything that's released, hardware or software... I've never actually seen you make an optimistic or positive post about anything video game related.

Archived