Home

Recruitng NPC's

If you tell me what module you recruit Kobayashi I think I may be able to figure it out. As far as I know I'm wondering if the game will remember what Canderous' attributes are when he was kicked out which will explain why they are the same when he comes back. I'm not too sure because I've never had a companion return before.

Too recruit an NPC by object - in other words, to add a specific creature in the game world to your party:

AddAvailableNPCByObject( int nNPC, object oCreature );

The engine is capable of saving object data, of course - but everything except the player and party are restricted to whatever module they were spawned in. As soon as Canderous exits your party, he's no different; he was spawned in that module, so he has to stay in that module. As long as he isn't destroyed, his information is saved and you can get him back by going to that module and recruiting him with the above script.

Of course, if you are doing it in K2, you can just add them to the puppet table and not have to worry about all that; if you add them to the table but don't assign them as a puppet, their information is stored from module to module even if they aren't present.

AddAvailablePUPByObject( int nPUP, object oPuppet );

nPUP must be 0, 1, or 2; the remote takes up slot 0.

You could get around the module limitation technically by first going to another module, spawning him/her there and THEN removing them from the party.

Handy if you want that party member added for just a map, say, cleaning a base.

So, for example;

Talking to the new party member.

Getting taken to a new module where to use him, which is a one-shot (say, end of Taris).

Spawn, remove, add new NPC as member, leaving the old member behind.

Add to the .dlg that when the stuff is done, the new is removed and he/she re-added and re-warp somewhere else.

Of course, that's just one example, more could be done with that...

Too recruit an NPC by object - in other words, to add a specific creature in the game world to your party:

AddAvailableNPCByObject( int nNPC, object oCreature );

The engine is capable of saving object data, of course - but everything except the player and party are restricted to whatever module they were spawned in. As soon as Canderous exits your party, he's no different; he was spawned in that module, so he has to stay in that module. As long as he isn't destroyed, his information is saved and you can get him back by going to that module and recruiting him with the above script.

Of course, if you are doing it in K2, you can just add them to the puppet table and not have to worry about all that; if you add them to the table but don't assign them as a puppet, their information is stored from module to module even if they aren't present.

AddAvailablePUPByObject( int nPUP, object oPuppet );

nPUP must be 0, 1, or 2; the remote takes up slot 0.

So if I added the NPC as a puppet, it wouldn't spawn on the Hawk correct? And I could just use a normal recruit function whenever I wanted them back?

You could get around the module limitation technically by first going to another module, spawning him/her there and THEN removing them from the party.

So, for example;

Getting taken to a new module where to use him, which is a one-shot (say, end of Taris).

Add to the .dlg that when the stuff is done, the new is removed and he/she re-added and re-warp somewhere else.

Interesting. Thanks HH.

So, for example;

Yeah, I was thinking this too - a bit more warping involved, but it could be worth it.

So if I added the NPC as a puppet, it wouldn't spawn on the Hawk correct? And I could just use a normal recruit function whenever I wanted them back?

Correct. Remove them from the party table, add them to the puppet table, and you can even delete them safely and recover them later at any point. You can spawn an available puppet just like you can with a party member; as long as they are in the table, their information is stored.

Archived