Home

KotOR II patch 1.0c & TSLRCM?

Gatherum

Okay, so I have a small dilemma:

I just arrived at Telos and entered the cantina to attempt the swoop racing minigame. Unfortunately, I'm getting that stupid bug that makes the swoop bike levitate to the ceiling when the race starts, making it virtually impossible to succeed at gaining first place. I did some searching around and, apparently, it's because I'm using an old no-CD cracked EXE to play.

I'm not going to argue about legality with this: I purchased the new KotOR I and II bundle that was just released like a month ago. Great compilation, but they decided to be asshats about it by including new EXE's, embedded with a stronger variant of SecuROM, that manage to prevent widescreen mods such as UniWS from working. Believe me when I say that I explored every avenue that I could find to try to reconcile these new EXE's with said mod. Finally, I said, "**** it, I'm not putting up with this DRM bull**** from these companies, especially when the games are almost ten years old." I got the 2.1 fixed EXE from GameCopyWorld so that I could have my bloody widescreen gameplay and who would have guessed that the new Windows 7 stability benefits of both still work even when the cracked EXE's aren't the current versions (the included versions for KotOR I and II in the bundle are, respectively, 1.0.3.0 and 2.2)? Unfortunately, considering the age of the cracks, they retain some bugs like the one mentioned above. Finding no individual mod on KotORfiles that fixes this, I soon stumbled upon unofficial patch 1.0c, which apparently does fix it.

My only concern: does said unofficial patch work with TSLRCM v1.8?

If it does not, no big deal, I'll probably have to find another way, but I guess you can consider this a request for such a mod that will fix this bug via Override folder script or something.

By the way, if any of you are wondering why I'm not asking this question on Deadly Stream, it's because that site won't send me my damn validation e-mail. Probably has problems with Gmail or something and no, I do not want to create a whole new address on another service just so that it will.

I appreciate it. :)

My only concern: does said unofficial patch work with TSLRCM v1.8?

In a word: no.

Lengthier explanation: Way too may conflicts. All of the missing content and oh so much more patch is already in TSLRCM 1.8.

An aside: Considering that the "unofficial patch 1.0c" was comprised of stolen mods - many of them announced here - some folks might find it rather insulting you are requesting a patch for it.

Had no idea. However, I will clarify: I am not looking for a TSLRCM patch or whatever for compatibility with unofficial patch 1.0c.

I guess you can consider this a request for such a mod that will fix this bug via Override folder script or something.

Patch 1.0c doesn't concern me beyond the bug indicated in the OP. Still, if it is comprised of stolen mods, that would naturally imply that a mod that fixes this bug does exist outside of said patch. If anyone knows what it is and where it can be found, I'd appreciate that information. :)

(Curiously enough, I was able to run through the swoop minigame, which happened to work properly shortly after I posted this thread. I'm guessing it's only an occasional bug--still annoying though.)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it wasn't made clear to you earlier, but it's that cracked swkotor2.exe that you're using that's causing this. There is no crack for KotOR 2 that is properly patched to version 2.1, and it's with version 2.1 that the swoop racing bug you're experiencing was finally fixed. The only way to fix that bug is to use the swkotor2.exe that is included with the 1.02b patch along with the original game disk.

As far as widescreen goes, KotOR 2 supports 1280x768 natively by changing the width and height values under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] in the swkotor2.ini file and letting either your monitor or GPU scale it up from there. No mod and crack required. Not perfect, but neither is the mod, because the HUD is still stretched and fugly anyway.

And, finally, using that piece-of-crap "1.0c patch" along with TSLRCM is a recipe for disaster, not to mention completely unnecessary, as TSLRCM already fixes everything that 1.0c claims to fix, and does so without stolen work. There are just way too many conflicting files, there, and I have no idea why anyone would even want to attempt it.

Well, that was what I was asking. It seems that there is no standalone mod.

However, I was wrong in stating that the Onderon swoop minigame is impossible to complete. Where there is a glitch that makes the bike float, there are others that allow the game to be completed, and won. Basically, all I had to do, at the very beginning of the race, was run sideways into that statue in the middle of the track. Causes the bike to fall back onto the track without losing too much velocity and allows one to hit just enough boosters to best Jonra's time.

Still bloody annoying, but hey, it's better than using the stupid vanilla EXE that prevents the widescreen mods from working.

Perhaps it wasn't made clear to you earlier, but it's that cracked swkotor2.exe that you're using that's causing this. There is no crack for KotOR 2 that is properly patched to version 2.1, and it's with version 2.1 that the swoop racing bug you're experiencing was finally fixed. The only way to fix that bug is to use the swkotor2.exe that is included with the 1.02b patch along with the original game disk.

As far as widescreen goes, KotOR 2 supports 1280x768 natively by changing the width and height values under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options] in the swkotor2.ini file and letting either your monitor or GPU scale it up from there. No mod and crack required. Not perfect, but neither is the mod, because the HUD is still stretched and fugly anyway.

And, finally, using that piece-of-crap "1.0c patch" along with TSLRCM is a recipe for disaster, not to mention completely unnecessary, as TSLRCM already fixes everything that 1.0c claims to fix, and does so without stolen work. There are just way too many conflicting files, there, and I have no idea why anyone would even want to attempt it.

There is a separate companion mod (?) to UniWS that fixes the HUD, which I also have installed.

Still, I'll have a gander at your claim at a later time.

It would seem that Xenon claimed somewhere else that not all, but most, of the work was hers and/or that credit was never claimed for those portions that weren't, but frankly, I don't really care. I wasn't even here yet when all of that happened and I have no way of knowing how much truth or lie is associable with either side of the debate. At any rate, know that I am aware of the grievances and that if it is any consolation, I am not using the patch, nor plan to as long as TSLRCM supersedes it anyway. Also, said patch isn't exactly available readily anymore. You kind of have to dig for it across the torrent sites, and even then, it's a matter of seeds.

There is a separate companion mod (?) to UniWS that fixes the HUD, which I also have installed.

All that fixes is the mini-map. The HUD still stretches with higher resolutions, and disproportionally so with widescreen ones.

The HUD fix file is also unnecessary with the .ini hack I described.

Compare it to 4:3. It's there. It's a minor thing, though.

KotOR 1's HUD is static. It stays the same size no matter what resolution you're using. KotOR 2's, on the other hand, is dynamic, and grows with the resolution, but doesn't take widescreen aspect ratios into account while doing so.

Now, I don't know why Obsidian thought that creating a dynamic HUD was a worthwhile endeavor, given their extremely tight development schedule. One would think that the time would've been better spent on, I don't know, actually completing the game. :giveup:

Archived