Home

Requesting Modder Assistance

KaelVirum

Ok, so I'm working on a mod for my own personal use (I do have it working) but there are some things that still need to be addressed.

The Mod: Playing as Children

The Issues:

1. All the animations seem to be there for the children except for a couple of things.

A. The Force Power Animations originate between the feet instead of the hand.

B. The male child, when floating in the Kolto Tank, doesn't float he just stands there.

2. I would like to be able to equip armors to them and it actually fit their bodies. As it stands now, I can equip the armor, but it only changes their clothes to their "dirty clothes" model.

3. Weapons do not appear in their hands. Their hands are empty, though they can still use the weapon.

Any tips or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. :)

In response to Sith Holocron, I believe it was, I plan on using the kid model for a Full Conversion Mod of TSL that I'm planning. In the beginning of the game the PC will start off as a kid and be recruited by either a Jedi or Sith Academy and that is how they will learn the ways of the Force.

I tried responding to your message but couldn't as I only had three posts at the time and need five in order to respond to visitor messages.

You will need to edit the model for this to work.

A. The Force Power Animations originate between the feet instead of the hand.

*snip*

3. Weapons do not appear in their hands. Their hands are empty, though they can still use the weapon.

This can be fixed by adding the required helpers to the model. Check out this tutorial.

B. The male child, when floating in the Kolto Tank, doesn't float he just stands there.

It happens, because the model don't have this animation. I can think of several ways to fix that - create a new animation from scratch, import existing one from the supermodel and then tweak it for child model, change model to use another supermodel. Can't be more specific before I'll take a look at the model in Max (can't promise anything, RL stuff takes all my time).

2. I would like to be able to equip armors to them and it actually fit their bodies. As it stands now, I can equip the armor, but it only changes their clothes to their "dirty clothes" model.

Same here, I don't remember how this model works, so I'll need to see it in Max first.

Same here, I don't remember how this model works, so I'll need to see it in Max first.

I actually got to thinking about this more, I don't want all the armors available, or even all the robes, just the Padawan Robes, anything that is considered to be for a student I want them to be able to wear, giving how the story for this full conversion mod goes in my head, the player won't be a kid long enough to actually need armors, though, Lightsabers in their hands as they practice would be good. Also, I was thinking of restricting the children to only short sabers and short swords for practice.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks, Darth DeadMan, for pointing me towards the tut. I'll check it out sometime later today.

I imagine that you will have to use max to open each armor and robe model, and scale the meshes and all the helpers down to child size. I'm not sure if there is anything else (beyond the usual body model mods) that would have to be done, but there could easily be. They will also need unique names (I figure replacing the S, M, or L with K should do it). Then, you'll have to change the appearance.2da entries for the kid, so that the unique named PMBK etc gets typed into the correct box for Model C, Model D etc. (I'm on my work computer, so the full names and terms escape me).

Do the kid models have hand hooks and/or weapon hooks? To get around all that, you could just scale down an adult underwear and basic clothes model like you'd have to do for the armors and robes.

I've never tried scaling down body models to fit smaller characters, so I have no idea how it will work. Good luck to you, I hope you can get It working :)

I've never tried scaling down body models to fit smaller characters, so I have no idea how it will work. Good luck to you, I hope you can get It working :)

Tried scaling down Calo Nord to action-figure size for a comedic/entertaining mod, but it didn't work in-game. I was a bit disappointed that either Max or MdlOps didn't want to notice that Calo was only 25cm tall...

Thanks guys, for all the responses. I'm a newbie Modder, as is probably apparent, so right now the only tool that I'm using for mods is Kotor Tool. The other tools that I have, but haven't learned how to use, yet, are:

AniCamB3

DeNCS

DLGEditor_232

ERFEdit03

KGFF_131

MDLops06a1

TSLPatcher1210b1 &

WhereAmI206

So MDLops is what I need to learn now in order to fix most of the problems listed here, correct?

Thanks guys, for all the responses. I'm a newbie Modder, as is probably apparent, so right now the only tool that I'm using for mods is Kotor Tool. The other tools that I have, but haven't learned how to use, yet, are:

AniCamB3

DeNCS

DLGEditor_232

ERFEdit03

KGFF_131

MDLops06a1

TSLPatcher1210b1 &

WhereAmI206

So MDLops is what I need to learn now in order to fix most of the problems listed here, correct?

Close, but eventually. Probably.

You'll need a 3d modeling program. GMax is free, but it's been years since I've used it and I'm not sure quite how useful it will be for this. 3ds Max is the "full version" of GMax and has many more enhanced features, but costs money. If you can get your hands on a legal copy of 3ds Max, I'd suggest using that. Regardless of which you choose, you'll have to download and install the NWMax plugin, as neither GMax nor 3ds Max can natively import the models you want.

MDLops will decompile the models you find with KOTOR Tool into a usable format by the NWMax. You'll be able to open up and modify the models you need freely this way.

After you finish your modifications, NWMax will be able to export your files, and then you will use MDLops to compile your modified model into a usable format by the game.

The entire process is very complicated, especially for newbie modders.

Well, then I guess I'll just have to stop...

being a newbie modder, then, huh?

I wouldn't say that's what he was saying. He was just saying it was going to be difficult. I'm horrid at modeling, so I tend to shy away from this stuff, even making simple lightsabers. But just give it a try and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work... at least you attempted to do so.

I wouldn't say that's what he was saying. He was just saying it was going to be difficult. I'm horrid at modeling, so I tend to shy away from this stuff, even making simple lightsabers. But just give it a try and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work... at least you attempted to do so.

Read that last line of his post again. He's not stopping, he's going to learn how to do it. :)

Btw, original poster, I liked how you phrased that. :)

Why thank you, Fair Strides! :)

So my internet sucks, I'll have to wait until after midnight before I can download anything of any significant size. It's satellite internet with no limitations between midnight and 5 am. So if someone could please list any more tools that I might need in order to make higher quality mods I would be deeply grateful. :) So far I have 3ds Max on that list.

Archived