Home

Head Shadow Glitch

Fallen Guardian

I was messing around with heads in KotOR 2, mulling over which ones I could reskin well enough to make unique characters that were hard to tell who they originally were. I took a look at Trask's head and found weird triangular shadows at the corners of his eyes, that only appeared depending on how the light hit the model.

Here's a screenshot:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
2uen2ol.jpg

Does anyone know of a way I could fix this?

Yeah it's a mesh issue of some sort. Those are single polygons you are seeing there. Check the smoothing, as Sithspecter suggested. Also check whether those polys have been detached from the rest of the face.

From the models I've worked with in TSL, this seems to be the case. There are a lot of detached polys with their uvw mapped in weird places. Often there are verticies that aren't joined, and that's where you get a little line (usually down the middle of faces, sometimes around the nose-eyes-eyebrow areas like on Trask there) where the background is peeking through. I don't know how Obsidian could mess up so many of the existing head models (like Trask and Bastila).

From the models I've worked with in TSL, this seems to be the case. There are a lot of detached polys with their uvw mapped in weird places. Often there are verticies that aren't joined, and that's where you get a little line (usually down the middle of faces, sometimes around the nose-eyes-eyebrow areas like on Trask there) where the background is peeking through. I don't know how Obsidian could mess up so many of the existing head models (like Trask and Bastila).

It's actually also like that in the first KotOR. You'd think they might have fixed stuff like that. And it is multiple vertices that aren't joined, just checked model in gmax.

KOTOR has some of the most terrible UV mapping in the history of gaming. You have to wonder if some of it wasn't done by some intern or something.

As to detached polys, there really should be no reason to physically detach them, even when breaking out the UVs of a couple of polys on their own (like the beauty spot on the cheek of that one female player head in TSL). It could be that NWMax is causing the issue. It was always somewhat flaky. Or the conversion into an ASCII model. I can't see any logical reason why the originals would have detached polys like that.

Thanks all for your replies.

Yeah, looks like the 2 polys at the outside corner of the eye are detached (both from the rest of the face and each other). It's the same in both the K1 and TSL models. Also the poly at the inner corner of the eye, although being so small and in that position that one is probably not really noticeable.

Trask_Head_TH.jpg

I'm not very skilled or experienced in modeling, but if the procedure to fix this is pretty basic I'd probably be able to do it. How would I got about fixing it?

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm not very skilled or experienced in modeling, but if the procedure to fix this is pretty basic I'd probably be able to do it. How would I got about fixing it?

I think the problem here may be very similar to my problem adding helpers to this model. The solution is to weld the vertices but I think you will likely run into the same problems I did recompiling. Maybe you can make more sense of the stuff redrob linked to me than I seem to be able to!

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=213460

If this can be figured out then so can helpers

Archived