Home

What's up with that?

Huz

With the release of the Special Edition, it must be time to resurrect this forum! So here's a thread about things that have confused you about Grim Fandango or you just think warrant further discussion.

I'm just up to the beginning of Year 2 and I've encountered, for the umpteenth time, something that confounds me every time the first few minutes of the year play out.

At the end of the opening cutscene, Lupe turns up to tell you to come downstairs, because a customer who "sounds like your type" has been asking for you. Once the game becomes playable you see someone walking out of the front door underneath the balcony, presumably Meche.

But when you go downstairs, Manny automatically goes all the way downstairs to where Glottis is - admittedly after shaking his head like he thinks he's been stood up - and you can't ask him whether anyone's been looking for you. You just have a generic "think she'll come in tonight?" question, and Glottis's response doesn't give you any indication that he's seen anyone. And it's the same story if you speak to Lupe behind the counter - you can't even ask her specifically, "sooooo where's that customer you were on about?"

You'd think there should be the option to question Lupe further, right? Especially once you go outside and Manny realises it was probably Meche looking for him. Doesn't he want to know what she said to Lupe? Apparently not, because there's no option for you to ever mention it again. In fact, if you don't ask Lupe the "think she'll come in tonight?" question when you first see her, you can still ask it even after you've seen Meche leave with Domino!

So... what's up with that?

Huz, I know what you mean. He does't seem too bothered that Meche was around only minutes earlier. It's a bit frustrating really!

Something I noticed on my last play through was the direction that Chepito is walking around in circles when at the station at the start of year 4. He says he's trying to undo all the walking in one direction but is it me or is he walking in exactly the same direction as he is when he's on the ocean floor and Manny and Glottis find him? Anti-clockwise..!

I could be wrong but I'm sure he's going anti-clockwise at the station too :)

What's up with that?!

Chepito is an idiot who can't tell right from left. When you meet him under the sea, he says he just "keeps the moon on his right" to walk across the ocean. But seeing as he's walking anticlockwise around the Pearl, what he thinks of as the moon is obviously on his left.

I didn't notice he was walking in the same direction at the gates to the Ninth Underworld, but now that you mention it I think you're right! What's up with that?

Chepito is an idiot who can't tell right from left. When you meet him under the sea, he says he just "keeps the moon on his right" to walk across the ocean. But seeing as he's walking anticlockwise around the Pearl, what he thinks of as the moon is obviously on his left...

Haha, I noticed that too on the last play through :) seems like Chepito is the biggest culprit!

Anybody who thinks the moon would be visible from the ocean floor clearly isn't all that smart. I mean, there's no land visible where the Lola goes down, so the water has to be pretty deep. Thousands of feet, maybe? It's just black water up above the wreck. Apart from that, didn't he ever think it strange that his 'moon' never rose or set or changed phase? And yet he marched on with the unshakable confidence of the complete idiot.

When you meet Nick for the first time, he graps some kind of smartcase, containing the key for the lighthouse where he know that the body of

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Lola
is. When you make your first attempt to black mail him, he leaves to talk to Maximino, without bringing the smartcase. What I mean is that he has just committed a murder, and that key unlocks the only thing that could connect him to this. It just fell out of the box, and he sees Manny looking at it ... and he forgets it.

Looks weird from my point of view?

It's a cigarette case. And, besides, depending on how you play the game there can be a good deal of time that elapses between the business of dropping the key and Manny getting the case. And even if there isn't, my take on Virago has always been that he walks away mainly because he's flustered and talking to Max is only an excuse. So forgetting the cigarette case makes sense from that angle. And from Virago's own point of view, why should he care if Manny saw the key? He has no reason to think Manny knows its significance or that he even cares to know. The great thing about criminals is they assume they're smart and everyone else is dumb.

It's a cigarette case. And, besides, depending on how you play the game there can be a good deal of time that elapses between the business of dropping the key and Manny getting the case. And even if there isn't, my take on Virago has always been that he walks away mainly because he's flustered and talking to Max is only an excuse. So forgetting the cigarette case makes sense from that angle. And from Virago's own point of view, why should he care if Manny saw the key? He has no reason to think Manny knows its significance or that he even cares to know. The great thing about criminals is they assume they're smart and everyone else is dumb.

Actually there was a lot of time between the first meetup with Nick, and getting the case, in my current playthrough, due to the fact that I totally forgot the puzzles about the bees :-)

I think you're right, that Nick has no clue about the importance of the key, but I always had a biased opinion, because Nick looks kinda strange at Manny, when the key drops.

Here's something genuinely mysterious: how do you saddle a cat? I mean, apart from the issue of a cat's temperament, it's body basically counts as a liquid.

Well, when you know the

of riding it, it shouldn't be hard to create a saddle matching your needs, despite the cats physiology :p

Nick looks kinda strange on Manny, when the key drops.

Yeah, it is kind of strange moment. Like the key is the last mint and he's wondering if Manny is going to eat it. 'Should I grab it or be polite and let the other guy have it?' But I suppose it's more about telling the player that the key is important than anything else.

(....riding a cat bareback. Now there's a double-entendre for you.)

Archived