Home

TSL Five Dark Side transitions?

redrob41

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done a mod to give each vanilla PC and/or Party member 5 DS transitions, instead of the default 3? I tried using the search tool, but I didn't see anything. Does anyone remember such a mod?

It's always something that had annoyed me about TSL, because KotOR looked much more realistic with a gradual change to full DS, rather than the jarring changes that TSL has.

Just curious.

Yeah, merging the existing textures is pretty easy. For the first DS transition, I use 40% transparency of the existing D1 texture over the LS skin. For the third DS transitions, I make it a 50% transparency of existing D2 and D1 skins. The portraits only take a little more time because some of the facial expressions don't line up (DS scowl), so I have to do a bit of cutting and pasting as well.

What takes a long time is fixing stupid Obsidian errors, like stretched uvw maps, having parts mapped completely wrong (PMHB07 has the tongue mapped to hair and neck texture), or misaligned scars along the texture seams. I've fixed a few, because I am using those head models for RoR players.

The question is whether to release little fix mods at the same time as I release RoR species mods, or to try to do ALL the head fixes first, then RoR. Right now I'm finishing up the Arkanians, so there are still a ton of species to go. I wouldn't want to release RoR mods that include modified head mdls & mdxs, that may or may not still be compatible with the default skins (so far, they are).

Anyway, if no one remembers another 5 DS transition mod, maybe it would be worth it for me to do?

I will download anything you make redrob. My only regret is that I still haven't made any progress on head mods so we can make some varied twi'lek heads (or better, fix the hard edges on models)

To an extent, the Replacer on MDLOps 0.5 ought help with "new" twi'lek heads, as long as you don't delete/add verts but move them around instead.

Also, I found out that the Replacer will work for "tweaking" UVW-Maps without actually affecting the verts. I found it out after a bit of trial and error with hijacking a Skybox... :)

How easy would it be for the varied Twi'lek heads to be face swaps with other faces? Like, have a Twi'lek head, but with one of the Player Heads for the face?

We're starting to hijack the thread, but once upon a time it wasn't too difficult, though I believe I was the only one to do it successfully. It doesn't help of course that the nwmax plugin has been messing up vertices and weights real bad upon export.

To an extent, the Replacer on MDLOps 0.5 ought help with "new" twi'lek heads, as long as you don't delete/add verts but move them around instead.

Also, I found out that the Replacer will work for "tweaking" UVW-Maps without actually affecting the verts. I found it out after a bit of trial and error with hijacking a Skybox... :)

when I tried working with the male Twi'lek head model, Taina's replacer always crashed. I think it has to do with the bump map info; since no one knows how that is stored in the mdx/mdl files, the replacer wasn't programmed for it.

The modified male Twi'lek head that I did make work, I had to use the head fixer tool for, so it ended up losing its bump map and the edges aren't smooth.

Otherwise, I've always used Taina's replacer to fix uvw maps. That's what would take me a lot of extra time with the default heads, fixing all the dumb little errors like I said earlier.

when I tried working with the male Twi'lek head model, Taina's replacer always crashed. I think it has to do with the bump map info; since no one knows how that is stored in the mdx/mdl files, the replacer wasn't programmed for it.

The modified male Twi'lek head that I did make work, I had to use the head fixer tool for, so it ended up losing its bump map and the edges aren't smooth.

Otherwise, I've always used Taina's replacer to fix uvw maps. That's what would take me a lot of extra time with the default heads, fixing all the dumb little errors like I said earlier.

lol "my new favorite hero" from a post back in 2011.

One of these days I'll take a look at the mdl format.

Back on topic though, would this include 5 total DS transitions for the applicable party members?

I think it has to do with the bump map info; since no one knows how that is stored in the mdx/mdl files, the replacer wasn't programmed for it.

Hint: Exactly the same as the lightmap data, even in the same spot (in lieu/instead of the lightmap data).

To an extent, I even know how to make both the lightmap and bumpmap data play nice on the same model. The only issue for that being that KAurora completely blanks animation data...

Oh, good. :) Someone else uses that part of the Replacer functionality. :D

lol "my new favorite hero" from a post back in 2011.

One of these days I'll take a look at the mdl format.

Back on topic though, would this include 5 total DS transitions for the applicable party members?

At this suggestion, I had a look, and did some up this weekend. Atton, Disciple, and Handmaiden needed a little bit of uvw map fixing (some of the polygons get stretched, especially the DS veins and scars). I also touched up some inconsistencies (like Handmaiden's lips are different shapes, Atton & Disciple's eyes are different sizes from one texture to the next, etc).

Mira and Visas were super easy, since all they needed were some blended textures (in fact, I didn't change the vanilla textures or models at all). Bao Dur was a bit more work, since I had to deal with the scars/tattoos, but I came up with something that makes sense.

All I need to do now is make some new portraits and make a TSLPatcher file for it.

The only other Party member I can think of that might need DS transitions is possibly Mandalore, but he only has one face texture by default. I'll have to look through the 2da files to see what's up with him, but is it even worth it?

Hint: Exactly the same as the lightmap data, even in the same spot (in lieu/instead of the lightmap data).

To an extent, I even know how to make both the lightmap and bumpmap data play nice on the same model. The only issue for that being that KAurora completely blanks animation data...

Most head models don't have animations to worry about, so would you be able to fix the missing bump map info in my Twi'lek? What about edge smoothing?

At this suggestion, I had a look, and did some up this weekend. Atton, Disciple, and Handmaiden needed a little bit of uvw map fixing (some of the polygons get stretched, especially the DS veins and scars). I also touched up some inconsistencies (like Handmaiden's lips are different shapes, Atton & Disciple's eyes are different sizes from one texture to the next, etc).

Mira and Visas were super easy, since all they needed were some blended textures (in fact, I didn't change the vanilla textures or models at all). Bao Dur was a bit more work, since I had to deal with the scars/tattoos, but I came up with something that makes sense.

All I need to do now is make some new portraits and make a TSLPatcher file for it.

The only other Party member I can think of that might need DS transitions is possibly Mandalore, but he only has one face texture by default. I'll have to look through the 2da files to see what's up with him, but is it even worth it?

For Mandalore... not worth it.

But the DS transitions, yes I'm on board with all of this. I can't remember though if you had made 5 transitions for our infamous Visas Unmasked mod or not...? If I could request those, that would be badass

For Mandalore... not worth it.

But the DS transitions, yes I'm on board with all of this. I can't remember though if you had made 5 transitions for our infamous Visas Unmasked mod or not...? If I could request those, that would be badass

I couldn't remember either, so I had to look it up :lol:. It seems that there are indeed 5DS transitions already.

I was making screenshots yesterday, when I realized that the Disciple's eyes are messed up. I had a closer look at the model, and it looks like his left eye mesh is warped a bit (maybe the middle vertices are moved off center of the eyeball). It makes his left iris look bigger than the right. It isn't a uvw issue, since those are identical between the two eyes.

Before I go about fixing it, is there any reason why his character might have a messed up eye? Like an injury or something? I don't know his complete story, so if it's intentional, I'll leave it alone.

image from Wookieepedia (his right iris is circular, the left is oblong):

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Mical.jpg

I was making screenshots yesterday, when I realized that the Disciple's eyes are messed up. I had a closer look at the model, and it looks like his left eye mesh is warped a bit (maybe the middle vertices are moved off center of the eyeball). It makes his left iris look bigger than the right. It isn't a uvw issue, since those are identical between the two eyes.

Before I go about fixing it, is there any reason why his character might have a messed up eye? Like an injury or something? I don't know his complete story, so if it's intentional, I'll leave it alone.

image from Wookieepedia (his right iris is circular, the left is oblong):

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Mical.jpg

Well, the human face is not perfectly symmetrical, but I don't know if the irises would be different shapes. Maybe Disciple has an astigmatism? :p

Archived