Home

LFN Runners

Leif Ericson

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm not much of a runner, yet, but I'd like to be. I've tried running a little bit, but I always get discouraged after or during my run. I'm going to give the Couch-to-5K Running Plan a shot, and I hope to become a decent runner. I'd also be glad for any help or tips you guys would offer.

Hey SS! :) Glad to hear that you're going to try out that running plan.

What makes you discouraged? Lofty goals that seem out of reach? Physical pain? I am beginning to think any exercise routine is as much about mental conditioning as it is physical. There are times when I plan on going for a run, but when the time rolls around to do so, I'm like "oh, I don't want to" and I start making excuses why. And while I'm complaining to myself, I just keep getting dressed, putting on my shoes, and loosening up and eventually head out the door anyway. :p

I guess I get discouraged because my goals seem quite out of reach, and the pain as well. But I think you're right when you say that it is mental conditioning.

Anyway, I did my first day on the plan earlier, and it was great. I was slightly tired at the end of it, and enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to my next run on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first race this past Saturday. It was a muddy 25K trail run and it was a blast. They were well-organized and well-stocked with refreshments. The course in some places just absurd, some parts were swampy, other parts had muddly inclines where you'd just flail in place. I finished 100 out of 225 with a time of 2hrs 43 min. http://haggmud.com

My sister-in-law, my brother, and me on the right after the race.

n1286398002_295772_3677.jpg

n1286398002_295773_3949.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have an update as well.

Recently, I started track & field, and have had some trouble with blisters. Those healed up, and at the beginning of this week, my knee and the side of my leg, the problem that I have talked about, started to act up. Worse than ever before. Since the pain has gotten progressively worse, I went to my doctor and got an x-ray. The x-rays showed that I have [possibly] a gaglion cyst slightly lower than my knee cap. I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow, and I expect that I will have to have it surgically removed, which sucks.

Gaglion cysts are really painful if they are on the knee....and I have potentially had it for 3 years...

I'm sorry to hear that Rev7. How'd your MRI go?

I've been making the mistake of continuing to run even though I had strained my hip flexor about 2 weeks ago. My run yesterday really pissed it off. I'm icing it and taking anti-inflammatories. Hopefully my Wolverine healing abilities kick in in time for my April 11 race.

Yeah, Rev, I hope everything works out fine. Hope you won't have to go into surgery, but if you are, good luck.

I've been actually running far more comfortably the last time than before. I've always had a bit of a strain on my Achilles tendons, but I've decided to run slower and try to control even more the way I run. With effect. Finally, I can look forward to a painless run. :p

I got the MRI results back Tuesday and it turns out that I actually have a stress fracture on my tibia. From what I know, stress fractures are much more common closer to the ankle not the knee, but I can tell you that it is the most painful thing that I have felt in my life! I have an orthopedic doctor appointment tomorrow, so hopefully he can tell me how bad of a fracture I have. We will just have to see....

I have to stay on crutches for God knows how long, and for the record I have never needed/used crutches, so I am far from proficient on them. The good news is that I will not have to get surgury. I have missed school all of this week, so I am just going to stay home tomorrow and Friday so that I don't further injure myself. Plus, that is what my nurse recommended that I do....

• 2 months later...

I like running, as long as I'm not doing it with people who do/have done track or cross country at a very high level (friends and some family). They make me feel slow, even when I'm running 6'15" per mile for 5 miles.

I tend to wake up pretty early every other morning, and do a nice 4 mile run, then come back home to shower before I start my day. I've found it really helps me wake up and feel fresh. It also augments my already fast metabolism, meaning I can eat horrific amounts without getting overweight.

Sorry to hear about your injury Rev7, I hope that now, 3 months later, it's all sorted.

• 5 months later...

Hey, where have all the LFN Runners gone? During my absence from LF, I decided not to stop running, thus slowly extending my longest run to 12,5 km (7,5 miles). Now I run in the opposite direction, away from the little port. Any news from you runners?

Sorry to hear that Rev...Probably, by now, you have recovered.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Istorian,

News-wise, all I have is that now I can consistently do 5 mile runs at a pace of 6:05 per mile. On top of my running and rowing, I've been doing a bunch of crossfit bodyweight exercises which have really improved my useful strength. I've been keeping myself motivated by working out mainly with a friend of mine who does not accept "I'm kind of tired... maybe I'll not run today." Eliminating that source of work avoidance probably doubled the number of workouts I do.

By the way, has anyone here used Vibram 5-fingers? They look kind of strange, but I've heard some good things about them. Thoughts?

• 4 months later...

Wow, it's been long since I posted. Probably because, like happens every time, I end up quiting running after a few tries. Which has to do with either time or injuries. But I've started again, and I think this time I'm really off to something good. Haven't been running more than 7 km in the first two weeks, but it's been a total of 21 km a week, so that's not bad. Hoping to increase the km with every week.

Important is that now, I really enjoy running and I actually have to stop myself from going out there running every day. And with a schedule in mind, it's going to force me more than past times, when I just ran when I wanted to, to keep going.

• 2 months later...

Archived