Home

DREAMM 2.1 beta (now with Linux support)

Aaron Giles

I've started testing beta releases of DREAMM 2.1. Grab the latest version here:

https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta/

New games supported:

• Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures
  • Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion
  • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  • Star Wars: Yoda Stories
  • Outlaws
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
  • Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
  • Windows versions of: Afterlife, X-Wing, TIE Fighter

Major new features (documented in more detail at the link above):

• Linux support -- hooray, you can stop begging! 😉
  • Portable mode -- put DREAMM and all your games/settings on a USB stick and take it with you!
  • Standalone mode -- two ways to launch DREAMM directly into a game!
  • Built-in OPL MIDI synthesizer -- because Linux needs a default synth, and who doesn't love the soothing FM sounds?
  • Command-line installation -- drag & drop is cool, but command lines are for true old skoolers!
  • Telemetry (yes, you can opt out) -- help me know when DREAMM crashes or encounters a previously-unknown version of a game!

Have at it, and let me know if you run into any issues upgrading or running the new games, either in this thread or at dreamm@aarongiles.com

• Thanks 8

Thanks for your continued work on this, and for posting all the development updates on Mastodon!

And I appreciate adding the option to run games by passing a path on the commandline! I've ran into two bugs though (or maybe I'm doing something wrong). I'm on 64-bit Windows 10, if that matters:

1) When I try to run a game by passing a path on the commandline, I get the following error (first line is the command I used, second line is the error I get. The error is also shown in a dialog box):

D:\Games\DREAMM>dreamm.exe "D:\Games\ScummVM\Games\Monkey Island\Monkey Island 3"

D:\Games\DREAMM>Error: File/path D:\Games\DREAMM\install\lec-comi\pc-en not found

The game does work if I drag the game folder onto the DREAMM window as normal, and the game works in ScummVM, so the game data itself is fine.

I've tried several different games, and they all give the same error (though of course with a different gamename in the path).

2) When putting dreamm.exe and the dll's in the same folder as the game data, I either get a similar error as above, or DREAMM quietly closes itself without showing anything, it varies by game.

In both these cases, DREAMM does create the 'gamedata' folder with a subfolder for the game, but that folder is empty. I've tried it both in portable mode (by creating the empty 'config.json' in the same folder as dreamm.exe) and in non-portable mode; both issues happen in both cases.

I've deleted all the data stored by the previous DREAMM version before starting, so it's not some conflicting config or install data.

Hopefully that's detailed enough, if not I'll gladly elaborate. Thanks!

On 6/22/2023 at 5:09 AM, Didero said:

And I appreciate adding the option to run games by passing a path on the commandline! I've ran into two bugs though (or maybe I'm doing something wrong)

Ha! No, you're completely right. I botched the feature completely. It only works if you've already installed the game in DREAMM. Since I have pretty much every version installed, they all seemed to work fine when I tested it. :)

I'll fix it properly for the next beta. Thanks for complaining (seriously)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aaron Giles said:

Ha! No, you're completely right. I botched the feature completely. It only works if you've already installed the game in DREAMM. Since I have pretty much every version installed, they all seemed to work fine when I tested it. :)

I'll fix it properly for the next beta. Thanks for complaining (seriously)!

Glad to be able to help, DREAMM is a very valuable and interesting project!

• Like 1

New DREAMM Beta release today:

Even if you don't see anything directly relevant, please upgrade anyway because it will help me track down any crashes you might run into, due to the new telemetry features.

New in 2.1b4
============
* Added stack traces to telemetry when reporting crashes
* Added version check to GUI frontend
* Fixed standalone mode so it works even if you haven't previously installed the game
* Added warnings to Outlaws/Jedi Knight that multiplayer doesn't work
* Added better fallback behavior when missing rasterizer is detected
* Fix Linux crash when attempting to configure GMIDI/MT-32

Edited by Aaron Giles
  • Thanks 4

I just tested the standalone mode with the new beta, and everything seems to work fine, both putting the DREAMM files inside the game folder, and passing the game path as a commandline argument. Thanks for the quick fix!

• Like 1

DREAMM 2.1b5 is now up, with another bunch of crash fixes. If you installed 2.1b4, you should see a message about the new version pop up the next time you run it.

New in 2.1b5
============
* Added detection of many new variants and demos for newly-supported games
* Fixed crash on exit in Indy Desktop on MacOS
* Fixed error in ARM64 implementation of CMOV (fixes GOG ogg vorbis crashes)
* Fixed crash in Shadows of the Empire: Battle of Hoth demo
* Fixed crashes when attempting to start multiplayer in Outlaws and Jedi Knight
* Fixed crash when deleting players in Jedi Knight

• Chef's Kiss 1

I tested DREAMM with a few more games, and I have a (hopefully small) request: It's amazing that DREAMM has support for the Monkey Island 1 and 2 fan-made Talkie Editions, but they only have voices, not text in DREAMM. Would it be possible to add the option for both speech and text, like ScummVM supports?

• Like 2

DREAMM 2.1b6 is now available:

https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta

This will be the last release for the next couple weeks, as I'll be busy with travel and other activities. Expect the next beta in mid-July!

New in 2.1b6
============
* Added warning when attempting to access Steam client rather than crashing
* Fixed radio button behavior in Windows dialogs
* Fixed music in GOG versions of Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith
* Fixed occasional crash when scanning with removable media present
* Added support for Dark Forces control configuration (requires reinstall)
* Added Outlaws option for bilinear filtering in Direct3D mode

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Aaron Giles said:

So Ctrl+T doesn't work?

I looked through the DREAMM menus thrice, and somehow didn't even consider keyboard shortcuts... That works, thanks, and sorry for the user error!

Edited to add: I've tried finding this keyboard shortcut mentioned in any documentation, but I can't find it in either the DREAMM documentation, or the Talkie readme. Am I overlooking something?

Edited by Didero
Added question

6 hours ago, Didero said:

I looked through the DREAMM menus thrice, and somehow didn't even consider keyboard shortcuts... That works, thanks, and sorry for the user error!

Edited to add: I've tried finding this keyboard shortcut mentioned in any documentation, but I can't find it in either the DREAMM documentation, or the Talkie readme. Am I overlooking something?

It's how the original games worked. CRTL-T isn't a feature of DREAMM, you'll find the details in the original game manual.

If you want a GUI with different options for each game, then ScummVM is probably your best bet. DREAMM is about emulating the original games and hardware accurately rather than giving them a front-end. Different aims. (And why I love DREAMM so much.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

12 hours ago, Didero said:

I've tried finding this keyboard shortcut mentioned in any documentation, but I can't find it in either the DREAMM documentation, or the Talkie readme. Am I overlooking something?

Sorry if I sounded flip/dismissive. Was really just asking if you'd tried that to toggle the state.

The original games pretty universally used Ctrl-T to toggle between text/voice settings, and that shortcut works in DREAMM as well.

I don't document it because it's outside the scope of the project (i.e., too much work, heh) to document original game keys/behaviors. 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

It's how the original games worked. CRTL-T isn't a feature of DREAMM, you'll find the details in the original game manual.

15 hours ago, Aaron Giles said:

Sorry if I sounded flip/dismissive. Was really just asking if you'd tried that to toggle the state.

The original games pretty universally used Ctrl-T to toggle between text/voice settings, and that shortcut works in DREAMM as well.

I don't document it because it's outside the scope of the project (i.e., too much work, heh) to document original game keys/behaviors. 😁

Oh yeah, I didn't take it as dismissive, it's all good :)

I did briefly check the SoMI manual, but because the original game doesn't have voices, it doesn't have or list a button to toggle between text and voice. And if Ultimate Talkie added that toggle, I'd expect it to be listed in the readme, since it does list a lot of other keyboard shortcuts it adds. And i haven't played any of the voiced LucasArts games natively, always through ScummVM, so I didn't even know about the shortcut.

So, in short and in conclusion, I should play more of the LucasArts Talkie games :D

Thanks for the help!

21 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

If you want a GUI with different options for each game, then ScummVM is probably your best bet. DREAMM is about emulating the original games and hardware accurately rather than giving them a front-end. Different aims. (And why I love DREAMM so much.)

That's exactly why I want to use DREAMM actually, to play these games closer to how they originally played. ScummVM is amazing, but it's by design a recreation.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Didero said:

I did briefly check the SoMI manual, but because the original game doesn't have voices, it doesn't have or list a button to toggle between text and voice. And if Ultimate Talkie added that toggle, I'd expect it to be listed in the readme, since it does list a lot of other keyboard shortcuts it adds. And i haven't played any of the voiced LucasArts games natively, always through ScummVM, so I didn't even know about the shortcut.

Yeah, the DOS versions of the Ultimate Talkies are based on the Indy Fate engine, so you're not going to find talkie-related shortcuts in the SoMI documentation. The closest reference you'll find to the available options is in the Indy Fate documentation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aaron Giles said:

Yeah, the DOS versions of the Ultimate Talkies are based on the Indy Fate engine, so you're not going to find talkie-related shortcuts in the SoMI documentation. The closest reference you'll find to the available options is in the Indy Fate documentation.

I just keep getting more and more reasons to finally play Fate Of Atlantis...

• Like 1

DREAMM 2.1b7 is now up

It's been a couple of weeks and I've been on vacation (and recovering from COVID), but I'm back and have some fixes for you.

* Fixed Linux case-sensitivity issue with Escape from Monkey Island saves

* Fixed crash when fielding an unexpected exception

* Fixed crash on failure to lock game texture

* Added stubs for the full set of Win98 kernel32/user32/gdi32 APIs

* Fixed occasional lost key up messages in Windows, which resulted in "sticky" keys

* Fixed handling of assert in Infernal Machine so it shows up and exits gracefully

* Added option to load game directly at startup in Infernal Machine

* Fixed difficulty configuring in Loom FM Towns version

* Added new 3D rasterizers reported via telemetry

* Improved error reporting for crashes and added reporting for unexpected exceptions

* Minor UI refinements

• Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

I've just finished playing (the Team path of) Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis (to atone for my previous mistake :p ), and it worked very well! Thanks again form making this!

One very minor bug is that fighting with the keyboard only works if NumLock is on, whereas the game's keyboard reference says that NumLock has to be off.

There were also some slight sound issues, like sudden loud noise instead of a voiceline, but I don't know if those are the game's fault or DREAMM's, and they only happened once or twice.

Edited by Didero

I must be an idiot but I hope someone can help me. I've tried to get the talkies version of MI and MI2 working, but DREAMM requires the executables from the original games. It worked in SCUMMVM perfectly until yesterday, when SCUMMVM decided to stop playing sounds in all of my games. How do I get it working? 

Aaron is already aware of this, but if anyone else has played Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine on DREAMM especially the original v1.0 disc version of the game. This is running on latest DREAMM beta (2.1b8), and when you get to Level 10 (Olmec Valley), when you push the 2nd block to put on the pressure pad to reveal the 2nd bridge in the valley it always comes up with these 2 messages attached after the short cutscene of the block falling outside near the pressure pad (I have noticed the error occurs if you press any direction key to move Indy after cutscene ends, if you leave Indy alone its fine). We just need to find out if this issue occurs when playing the GOG version in case it was a bug that was fixed in v1.2 which GOG version has.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Ive already tried to load a save from the previous level into the GOG version as suggested by Aaron to try and get a clean fresh start of Level 10 and recreate the error however it crashes on Level 9 and get a different error message below, when adding the last idol to lower the statue (fish idol in this case) so you can use the mirror to open the door, this error doesnt occur in the 1.0 version.

GOG Level 9.JPG

GOG level 9 2.JPG

Edited by Threepwood4life