Home

DREAMM 3.0 beta testing now

in theory, the debug mode for Grim Fandango is related to the REG variable good times

should be true for being in debug mode

THe bug is that it is correctly put to false, still we have the debug mode

DREAMM 3.0b8 now available: https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta

New in 3.0b8:
* Split the Manage tab into separate Manage and Data tabs
* Fixed several issues with new font logic; selecting a font in SWSE now works correctly
* Fixed bug where configuration changes in SWSE were not sticky
* Fixed resolution configuration in Outlaws demo
* Fixed crash in Windows versions of X-Wing/TIE Fighter
* Fixed GMIDI configuration for the Windows version of Indy Fate
* Fixed clipping issues with listboxes and other controls
* Exposed "Developer Mode" option in Grim Fandango
* Partial internal reorg to help reduce crashes on quit in Windows games; this will take another release or two to complete

On 4/6/2024 at 3:17 AM, EPC said:

Does it also works with the CD version of Secret of Monkey Island ?

Right now, no, there's no support for that. In theory it could be added, would need to think on it, because there's not necessarily any standard. Where does SCUMMVM place the OGG file and what's it called?

On 4/9/2024 at 5:49 AM, neko said:

Both Simpilfied and Traditional Chinese version of EMI doesn't work.

If you can get me access to these versions, I can investigate why they aren't working. Feel free to DM me.

30 minutes ago, Aaron Giles said:

Right now, no, there's no support for that. In theory it could be added, would need to think on it, because there's not necessarily any standard. Where does SCUMMVM place the OGG file and what's it called?

Scummv put everything in the same directory. From Scummv Website. There are many notations, it could be easier to do a cp *.ogg

"

1. Place the converted audio files in the same folder that contains the other game datafiles.

1. track01.ogg - track12.ogg

2. track1.ogg - track12.ogg

3. track_01.ogg - track_12.ogg

4. track_1.ogg - track_12.ogg"

31 minutes ago, Aaron Giles said:

Exposed "Developer Mode" option in Grim Fandango

Works great.

Edited by EPC

Another suggestion.

When Mame failed to recognize a software, we have information on missing files, bad CRC, etc

With dreamm, we have just a small "I failed"

New DREAMM beta is now available: https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta

New in 3.0b9:

* Added support for Star Wars Screen Entertainment installers

* Extended internal scripting language to auto-navigate the SWSE installer

* Enabled key configuration for Dark Forces GOG (needs reinstall) and Dark Forces Demo

* Improved behavior of minimized windows for Windows games

* Improved system menu behavior for Windows games

* Removed unsupported video options in Indy Fate Talkie

* Removed unsupported audio options in Secret of Monkey Island CD

* Fixed subtle memory corruption that led to crashes in Behind the Magic and Episode 1 Insider's Guide

* Fixed crash in SWSE Posters module due to memory trashing

* Fixed bug in FXAM that led to incorrect shadow effect in SWSE Rebel Clock

* Completed internal reorg to help reduce crashes on quit in Windows games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 4:57 AM, Aaron Giles said:

If you can get me access to these versions, I can investigate why they aren't working. Feel free to DM me.

DM sent, but it seems you haven't read it yet, and I'm also adding Japanese Yoda Stories and Screen Entertainment.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2024 at 8:58 AM, EPC said:

The screensaver software  is a nice addition, but I think it is very hard to find.

It's hard to find extracted, but now that the installer is supported, it should be pretty easy to track down.

On 4/21/2024 at 7:52 AM, neko said:

DM sent, but it seems you haven't read it yet, and I'm also adding Japanese Yoda Stories and Screen Entertainment.

Amazing! Got your DM, will try to make these all work soon.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:33 AM, EPC said:

When Mame failed to recognize a software, we have information on missing files, bad CRC, etc

Yeah, it's hard to present this info nicely when you don't have a command line interface like MAME. I agree it would be nicer if it gave you some hints about what is not matching. Maybe I can add a button you can click to drop that info on the clipboard or something.

Edited by Aaron Giles
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

New beta is up: https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta

New in 3.0b10:
* Some major internal re-working happened for Windows; be on the lookout for regressions
   - Rewrote NE binary loader to support self-loading modules
   - DLL entry procedures now called at TaskInit; DLL exit procedures now called as well
   - Process exit cleans up more thoroughly, freeing loaded modules more aggressively
   - Files are now meticulously tracked for sharing and access across all processes
   - Improved fidelity of Global/Local memory allocation handling
   - Rewrote message thunking between 16-bit/ANSI/Unicode; should be quite complete now
   - Fixed message sending between 16-bit and 32-bit processes
   - Faked up a PROGMAN DDE server so installers can "register" new entries
* Added support for Outlaws 1.1 and 2.0 updaters, including Handful of Missions CD
* Added support for online Mysteries of the Sith installer
* Added support for online Escape from Monkey Island installers (they work but produce an error at the end)
* Added Pipe Dream installation support from Windows Entertainment Pack 2 or Best of WEP sources
* Added TIE Fighter French
* Added Escape from Monkey Island Chinese (Traditional and Simplified)
* Added Indy Desktop Chinese (Simplified) - but no Chinese font supported yet
* Added Yoda Stories Japanese - but no Japanese font supported yet
* Added SWSE Japanese installer - it installs an English version, but no Japanese font supported yet
* Fixed bug where MIDI would only play one time in SWSE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

• 2 weeks later...

New beta is up. Lots of "big" new stuff and opportunities for regression. Hopefully this is the last "big" update for this release. Need to go back and fix bugs. 🙂

https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta

New in 3.0b11:
* Added proper TrueType font support to Windows emulation via FreeType
* Added better locale and code page support for Windows; Japanese and Chinese games now mostly work
* Redid volume controls to be proper sliders, mouseable, work in dB, and support overdriving
* Centralized audio resampling code, made audio output fully independent of output frequency
* You can now type the start of a game name in the carousel screen to select it
* Added missing TIE95 file to fix joystick configuration; either reinstall or copy JOYSTICK.TXT from original
* Fixed hanging notes when using certain external MIDI devices
* Fixed Outlaws definitions that caused mis-identification of some versions
* Fixed random-ish early exit on X-Wing 95 due to an OG bug
* Fixed window frame size in certain cases for Windows programs

• Thanks 2

Hi @Aaron Giles

I can't get this to work in any way "Dreamm".

I have test in three different setup whit 3 different PC and OS.

Yesterday at my Brother home whit a mini-pc whit os used Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Wayland session):

I have tryed both version.. the 2.1.2 and also the 3.0b12.

I have "install" my CD od Escape from Monkey Island and after that also the patch 1.1

I have tryed to start the games and it's crash and it's return to terminal whit a lot of information

About 5 minutes ago i have tryed in this PC... a Windows 11 PC Notebook HP Pavillon.

Also here i have tryed to current 3.0b12 and the stable 2.1.2.

I have tryed to install the same ISO in both version and after that the patch 1.1 and also here the games not works.

On windows after i choose to lauch games DREAMM remain blocked whit a totally BLUE Windows where in the background you can see a sort of picture about Dreamm icons...

How this DREAMM works ? It's the ITALIAN CD Version correctly supported ?? Apparently the GOG version it's tested... the CD Version it's slighty different ?

On my home it's exist a way to obtain a log or somethigs similar i can report to you to try to fix this games ? Thanks in advance.

Are you the personal who emailed me about this? I sent a reply yesterday, but here it is:

Hi there,

Thanks for the report.

The Italian version of Escape from Monkey Island has a copy protection scheme on it which doesn’t work in DREAMM yet. It’s my bad that I don’t show a warning there.

I hope to get this fixed eventually, but I have a workaround (see below).

What’s interesting is that they later released the 1.1 version on CD, and that version no longer uses the copy protection. So the EXE that is included with that CD works.

If you download that and replace the Monkey4.exe in your installed copy with the attached version, it should run.

Let me know if you’re able to get it to work!

Aaron

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aaron Giles said:

Are you the personal who emailed me about this? I sent a reply yesterday, but here it is:

Hi there,

Thanks for the report.

The Italian version of Escape from Monkey Island has a copy protection scheme on it which doesn’t work in DREAMM yet. It’s my bad that I don’t show a warning there.

I hope to get this fixed eventually, but I have a workaround (see below).

What’s interesting is that they later released the 1.1 version on CD, and that version no longer uses the copy protection. So the EXE that is included with that CD works.

If you download that and replace the Monkey4.exe in your installed copy with the attached version, it should run.

Let me know if you’re able to get it to work!

Aaron

Hi my "friend"....... if you speak about the mail from a user like "onlyforpersonalapi" on gmail.com or somethings similar yes. I have sent it directly from my BROTHER Intel NUC.

as mentioned from his home he has an Intel NUC WM-408B (At the moment I'm not sure if this is the exact model. I should go and check I don't remember :) )

The OS installed have UBUNTU 22.04 LTS and here i have "installed" my old ISOs maded from original Italian CD. I have tryed both version the stable and current beta and after so many test i found the issue reported on pastebin link :)

Now i know it's caused by "Italian" CD Copy protection.... lol :)

that same evening I then returned to my house and then tried the same ISO again on my home PCs...... until finally i have read this reply and about last night i have tryed to put some NOCD found on WEB after a google search.

Whit some of that Finally DREAMM works and the games it's can executable...... (this time i have tryed on a notebook whit windows 11 whit current 3.0b12) but whit some of that the games start whitout audio tracks.

After so many .EXE tryed i have found one of that work..... the games start in italian and only the music it's works whitout any issue. I reached act 2 last night :)

There's only one thing I have to report... i don't have idea if it's caused because i'm using the beta but during the gameplay it happens that every now and then some TEXTURES disappear from objects and it's appears a EMPTY squadred image whit a text DEFAULT.

When this append i have to wait about 30 seconds or 1 minutes and entire GAME goes in crash and appears an error like unhadled 0xxx0xxx-C whit a strange address and i can click on "OK" and the games crash and it's back to DREAMM launcher on the screen.

When this append i can made a SAVEGAMES and when i relaunch the games and load the savegame just maded all background texture now apparently it's back to works.

This strange issue it's appears randomly.... sometime after 10 minutes... other after 20 minutes........ totally randomly.

I have also can try report another issue.......... on Melee Island inside the ScummBAR there are the two guys playing darts..

On a specific savegames i have reach a strange situation...... if I try to talk to them Guybrush try to get their attention by calling but they never respond, they stop throwing darts after a while and the game comes to a complete standstill and I can't do anything. just close the game.

I don't know if this is a knowed BUG of games or also here it's caused from dreamm.........

honestly I played and finished monkey4 too long ago to remember the whole story. That's why I'm enjoying playing it again. Thanks in advance for reply also because DREAMM it's, at today, the only APP can possibly made to play this fantastic games:

Whit scummVM the games it's slightly unplayable and crash every time you try to made a save.

And the remaded EFMI Launcher 1.4 it's ok for install the games from Isos but after that it's not works whit same NOCD exe :)

Ah.... already have sent PM to you........ 403 Forbidden :)

@Aaron Giles

So I was playing and this is what happens... I managed to take a screenshot just before the game crashed.
And also about the game crashing with the error. I'll post them for you:

lec-efmi-0000.png

Look the empty texture... somethigs like a crash... after some seconds the games goes in crash and appears this:

Appunti_05-24-2024_01.jpg

At this point i don't have idea if it's caused by my nocd exe or caused by dreamm.. this time i have used the currect stable 2.1.2 but a similar issue append also whit current 3.0b12.

efmi039.gsvefmi038.gsvI have play a lot today.... i can upload to you this two savegames point.

on efmi039.gsv i'm out of pirate re-education school at jambalaya island. Uou can load and you can see the games it's completely freeze.. you can listen audio but you can move or somethigs similar... the only thing you can open the F1 menù and close the game

on efmi038.gsv instead i have just take the two puppets... you can go to the school and pass this point if you don't obtain the issue append to me on efmi039.gsv

Ah... after i save the games it's crashing whit same error posted about some hours ago.. the unhandled exception...

I hope i can fix this savegame.

efmi054.gsv

Today reach again Monkey Island after Mandril and LeChuck they took the supreme insult from me...

After some time on Monkey Island take first talk to Herman...... arrived on "lookout" and this is the result:

lec-efmi-0001.png

I made the save posted here and immediately afterwards the game crashed again with that error "unhandled exception 0xc0000005"

At this point i don't have idea... this crash append also whit 2.1.2 and also whit 3.0b12 after random time i play the game.

What's the problems.. it's the Italian version ? It's My OS ? Windows 11 Made this trouble ? It's my current .exe ? It's some my files corrupter or somethings similar ?

It's some particular issue ? I have two SSD Installed on my pc.....