Home

DREAMM 3.0 beta testing now

DREAMM 3.0b2 is now available to fix a few key issues from the first beta. First item is particularly important due to shuffling of game IDs: you will want to let DREAMM re-verify your games if you're coming from a 2.x version!

https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta

New in 3.0b2:

* Fixed version check so you are once again prompted after upgrading to scan folders

* Fixed standalone mode

* Fixed black levels in basic and epx OpenGL shaders

* Improved preset matching for sound fonts

* You can now track new versions via RSS at https://aarongiles.com/dreamm/version.xml

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just released DREAMM 3.0b3:

New in 3.0b3:
* Fixed bug where changes to file dates would not stick sometimes
   - This can affect updaters, so if you're having trouble upgrading, say, TIE Fighter, you should reinstall the original game then apply the updates and it should work better now
* Upsampled digital audio now uses linear interpolation
* Expanded joystick support to multiple joysticks, also report fixed values if no joysticks connected
* Added support for German Defender of the Empire addon
* Added support for Making Magic (Japanese)
* Added support for Rebel Assault II Windows version
* Added support for Pipe Dream Windows version
* Fixed save games in FMTowns versions
* Fixed default video mode for Loom CD
* Fixed bug where installing Dark Forces would not include INSTALL.EXE, preventing controller config
* Fixed wonky CMS music in Secret of Monkey Island
* Fixed installation of Star Wars Chess on MacOS/Linux
* Fixed crash when changing configuration in-game in some circumstances
* Fixed (or at least greatly reduced) incorrect palettes on scene transitions in Full Throttle

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 4

Playing around with this latest version. Very much enjoying the UI improvements and Fixed Mode seems to have stabilised the game experience on my M1 MacBook Pro (although there's still some very minor tearing), so I'm very grateful! 

Possible bug:

In DOTT when you look at the battery the plans the game shows you solution to the copyright check, even though you're actually in the game itself proper and don't need the solution anymore. (Full talkie version -- there's no copyright check anyway.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

New DREAMM beta available:

New in 3.0b4:

* Fixed many bugs in Pipe Dream Windows, including missing menus, clipping bugs, and other missing features

* Added support for Infernal Machine 1.1 updaters (there are two versions)

* Disabled non-working video modes in the DOTT English version of Maniac Mansion

* Fixed regression in the open/save dialog for Windows games

* Fixed regression where files with incorrect names but matching CRC weren't being found by the scanner/verifier

* Fixed regression where Windows games were not returning idle time back to the system

* Fixed crash when using the mouse wheel while menus were visible on some UI screens

* Fixed missing lines in Infernal Machine map

* Fixed Jedi Knight/MotS default video mode to be 640x480 instead of 400x300

* Fixed Grim Fandango defaulting to software rendering

* Fixed screen position of Rebel Assault II Windows launcher after playing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have tried the 3.0b4: and Grim Fandango is still in debug mode and it's almost unplayable by now. If you press some key combinations (Shift + P) Manny jumps over acts of the game and he appears in random places. The game can't be restarted, so if you push that combination of keys, it's impossible to get back and keep playing where you were before the accident.

The emulator, by the way, is amazing. It's a DREAMM come true XD. It's great to be able of reliving every old LucasArts gem.

5 hours ago, NightWalker said:

I have tried the 3.0b4: and Grim Fandango is still in debug mode and it's almost unplayable by now. If you press some key combinations (Shift + P) Manny jumps over acts of the game and he appears in random places. The game can't be restarted, so if you push that combination of keys, it's impossible to get back and keep playing where you were before the accident.

The emulator, by the way, is amazing. It's a DREAMM come true XD. It's great to be able of reliving every old LucasArts gem.

Go into the game delta directory and delete REGISTRY.REG from there. Let me know if that solves the debug issue.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:41 PM, sanguinehearts said:

Any hope of supporting Mojo's Monkey 2 Talkie prototype? - https://mixnmojo.com/features/sitefeatures/LucasArts-First-Words/

🤔🤔🤔

On 2/27/2024 at 3:46 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

The DOTT bug I mentioned in my previous post is still present in 3.0b4

Yeah, fixing that is a super low priority, so don't hold your breath. 😜

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 1:48 AM, Aaron Giles said:

Go into the game delta directory and delete REGISTRY.REG from there. Let me know if that solves the debug issue.

Thanks, Aaron. I can't solve the problem even deleting REGISTRY.REG. I don't know if it's only an issue of mine or not.

I have even uninstalled the last stable version. I have checked the AppData directory (and the subdirectories named 'Local', 'LocalLow' and 'Roaming') and deleted the 'aarongiles' folder. With everything clean, I have installed DREAMM 3.0b4. Then, the program asked me to search the folder with the games and everything went allright, Grim was installed. But the game keeps being in debug mode. I have push Shift + P and Manny jumps to the end of the game, the Act 4, near the fountain that is like an ashtray. I don't know if I have to delete any other file in any other directory or if it's something that only happens in my computer.

Edited by NightWalker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New DREAMM beta available:

aarongiles.com/dreamm/beta/

SWSE and SWChess Windows are unlocked but there are lots of problems, so don't bother reporting any bugs to me on these. SWSE also needs manual extraction from the installer.

• Many improvements Windows support, specifically 16-bit Windows:
    • Can now load multiple 16-bit tasks together in the same address space
    • Hooked up midiOut and 16-bit multimedia timer multimedia support
    • Implemented many new GDI features, including support for non-solid brushes and binary ROPs
    • Added support for owner-draw listboxes and better messages for 16-bit controls
    • INI files are now read/written from actual INI files instead of using registry proxy
    • 16-bit nametable resources now support type renaming as well
  • New partially working "game": Star Wars Screen Entertainment (still crashes in spots but works partially)
  • New non-working game: Star Wars Chess, Windows (loads fine but won't let you play)
  • Indy Desktop/Yoda Stories now provide their own wavemix.ini configuration settings
  • Disabled video options for DIG95 version of The Dig
  • Fixed bug in GDI line drawing logic that sometimes caused a hang
  • Fixed improper fault when fetching 80-bit floating point values from read-only segments
  • Fixed crash when launching the DOS version of The Dig
On 3/10/2024 at 2:14 PM, OptimusSkywalker97 said:

Is there any chance you can add support for Star Wars Force Commander?

It's on the list of things to look at post-3.0.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:41 AM, Groggoccino said:

I checked it out and I can confirm that I'm also experiencing the whole "debug mode" thing with Grim Fandango in the latest beta version.

Hmmm, hoping to find a solution to this soon. Thanks for the report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi, thanks for the software

If it is helpful, I can tell that I have tried to play the two Jedi Knight in the last beta (and the beta before), and they are stuck on login screen, either the keyboard is not responding (Jedi Knight), or the menu buttons (OK, etc)  are not reacting to mouse action (MOTS).

Both games work well on dreamm 2.12. Official Gog versions were tried (they installed well). I think both english and french fail.

Also they crash Dreamm when trying to back to the Dreamm frontend.

All other games I tried for the Win period are working (EMI, Grim).

Edited by EPC

On 3/10/2024 at 10:14 PM, OptimusSkywalker97 said:

Is there any chance you can add support for Star Wars Force Commander?

After 2000, many LucasGames were just developed externally, by Raven or the Collective, or worse console-only games.

As a true part of LucasGames portfolio, I would be more enthusiastic to see Secret Weapon of Normandy made by Totally Games.

• Like 1

New DREAMM beta is up:

https://aarongiles.com/dreamm

New in 3.0b7:

* Many improvements to GDI support, including proper support for bitmap brushes

* Broader font support, including auto-generation of bold/italic fonts

* Most SWSE screen savers run fine now, except that Poster Art crashes occasionally

* Fixed bad memory leak that led to Windows crashes

* Fixed detection of size updates, which should fix Jedi Knight/MotS user interface

* Fixed Indy Desktop weirdness

• Thanks 3
  • Wow 1

I have seen that Jedi Knight can play music in ogg format when run under dreamm.

Does it also works with the CD version of Secret of Monkey Island ?

1 hour ago, AndywinXp said:

@Benny is there any possibility for preserving these two versions somewhere?

Certainly, if someone shares cd images of it. We've never been able to track it down beyond seeing it on ebay.