Home

JK2

Toa Tahu

Heh heh,now I have another question...

Is JK2 a FPS RPG Game,or a ThirdPS RPG Game,or what genre is it?

Force power?is it how many times you can use the Force or is it how much force points you have left to execute a certain force skill?

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Toa Tahu ]

Guest Krayt Tion

If you wanted to be safe, it would be appropriate to call Jedi Outcast an Action game. Marketing will likely bill JO as largely an FPS fused with 3D person saber elements when it is released.

When it comes down to it, there probably won't be a clear-cut way to play JO. It sounds like they are stressing your ability to play the game mostly with just saber and force powers if you so choose. Playing only guns in single player does not appear to be possible, as they have stated you will need to use your saber to 'solve' puzzles and advance. It appears the First Person/Third Person approaches really are solidly fused for this game.

Combine that with increased role playing elements like enhanced NPC interaction and you have a game in the DF series which more than ever is blurring the lines between classic genres. That is defintely a good thing in my mind, 'cept when it comes down to naming the genre. ;) I'm just calling it action.

Force power?is it how many times you can use the Force or is it how much force points you have left to execute a certain force skill?

Normally this would be an easy to answer question. The number in the lower right of the screen should reflect how many force points you have. Each force power will likely use a different number of force points (especially as the powers increase in effectiveness throughout the game, which will likely alter the amount of force points needed to use a power). Therefore, the number in the lower right also allows you go estimate how many times you can use various force powers before running out of 'mana,' provided you have learned how much each power takes up.

However, in the lastest PCG (December), they provide us with three screenshots with an updated HUD. I would guess those shots reflect the HUD in a transitional phase, with the original numbers we thought were temporary place holders for the graphical HUD appearing at the same time over the new graphical HUD. Not to mention the fact that I can't make any sense of the new graphical HUD, especially on the lower right. I hope they get that straightened out.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]

Well it sounds like JK2 will be much like the original JK.. ie: an FPS with some third person elements.

Obi-Wan and Rune and Heretic II were "third person slashers" but it sounds like gunplay and saber fighting will be more balanced with this one, and it will be more of an action game than an "RPG."

Kurgan

• 3 weeks later...

Look, Toa. I'm sorry to say this, but why can't you just figure all this out for yourself?!? Do you even know what this game IS? Please tell me you do.

And Gonk, Krayt, Kurgan, ANYONE, please, save us! There has to be an end in the rise of newbies!

"We're being overrun!"

Uh,...I thought a message board was developed to help other people around,not to BOSS others around.Anyway,I'm a newbie to this thing,and my parents didn't elt me have JK1.If I had JK1,why would I even waste my time asking you guys?

And,of course,I know this game.Do you actually know anyone who doesn't know Star Wars,or it's games?Please tell me no.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Toa Tahu ]

Philbo- we have to accept that there's going to be people here who dont know as much as us about the game, and we have to answer their questions and help them along. We cant just shun them for not knowing their star wars FPS's.

As far as we know, on the left we have health and shields, and on the right, ammo and force power mana (so to speak)

Well said, Gonk.

We were all 'newbies' at one time, and probably asked some pretty basic questions in our first posts.

Anyway, there are no newbies on these forums...just those seeking the path of enlightenment. It is not a secret society with exclusive membership, but a community open to all.

Besides, you do not have to answer a person's question if you do not wish to, but newcomers may think more of you if you do.

Guest Vagabond

Excellent work my friends...as I was reading Philbo's condescending comments I was thinking, "Okay, I need to instruct this guy in proper forum manners", but then Gonk, Monkeys, wards, and StormHammer - well, you brought the hammer down, so to speak. Nice work :cool:

I'll just reiterate...no honest question is a dumb question. And as long as I guard these forums, people will be free to ask whatever they want free from ridicule.

Guest JediKnight_114[b]
Originally posted by StormHammer:

<STRONG>Well said, Gonk.

We were all 'newbies' at one time, and probably asked some pretty basic questions in our first posts. </STRONG>

Ha, I never asked a stupid question in my newbie posts. Hahahahahahah. [sarcasm] Now, I am wondering, can you use the Force thingy in Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II: Dark Forces III? Any help would be great. [sarcasm] :D

Archived