Home

Ask the JK2 Developers a question

matt--

Actually uteboy's question is a very pertinent one, and one I would very much like a reply to. While the chances of that are slim, Raven need to take that into consideration if they havent already done so. With the MP section of the game sure to be one of the biggest draw cards of the game, the have to think about this.

Cheating is becoming more and more prolific amongst online games of all genre's, not just FPS. The fun is quickly sucked out of a game when someone is cheating and Raven need to look at some way they can quickly patch exploited bugs and "blacklist" programs that allow people to cheat.

I seriously hope Raven have something planned in the anti-cheating area.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syndrix I do believe that the quake engine they are using limits the ability to cheat/hack to a minimum and you can choose to leave the game closed to set limitations. I'm not sure of the details about this maybe someone who plays quake III or elite force may know more about this.

I do know that for the Half-Life engine there is a program called punkbuster www.punkbuster.com that prevents "punks" and also stops hex adress hax through the half-life engine.

Having a "pure server" option on a dedicated server would probably do much to cut down on the use of cheats online...

That and the dev team should be vigilant about patching any major security issues that are discovered.

Kurgan

While I'm sure the Q3 base that they are using will cut back on much of the cheating we have seen in the past, and the "pure server" option that Wilhuf is so fond of touting will indeed stop most mindless fools from cheating, there is always a few who find ways to circumvent even the most well tested game.

I am not saying we will see the same as what we have in the past, just it would be nice to see some kind of forethought so if it does happen they are prepared.

Gonk tell us what you know!!!... TELL US WHAT U KNOW!!!..........TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen what about a litre of cod liver oil down his throat if he doesn't tell us.

*sneaks around gonk's house. walks throguh to gonk room and james bond style karate chop to the neck and knocks gonk out. drags all the way back the jk2.net ties gonk to chair and put a bowl of deluted urine over him to wake him up. "what do u know gonk???" spoon of cod liver oil gets close*

*punches crap out of matt with bare metal fists. Bangs head of pipe. stick him in car with 200 kg of dynamite in back and kicks car off cliff.

While Agent Terminator takes notes of the explosion and the gore levels of the accident. Goes back to jk2.net. Gonk's gone!!!!!!! "OH GOD" he said to himself. Goes panicly around looking for him. finds him dancing the macarena with a rancor. Does saber duel with gonk and easily said "look behind u" and kicked (u know the rest) *straps him back to chair* "that's 2 spoonfuls of cod liver oil for u!" *sitck down throat and watches Gonk almost vomit his intestines out "give us info!"

And Gonk said............ (Don't say look behind u)

Archived