Home

Game Engine Right For The Game?

Outlaw

I'm sure Jedi Knight 2 will be a great game. I do have one concern. Star Wars is known to have great open areas which we see in all the movies. The Jedi knight game engine handled this well with huge open levels. I know from experience that the Quake 3 game engine can have problems with really big levels ie. Elite Force-Borg Cube Level. The game can chug or need several load times times in the bigger levels. I will be upgrading my PC by the time this game is released next spring or summer yet it is still a concern.

I know from experience that the Quake 3 game engine can have problems with really big levels

The Quake 3 Engine is an ever-changing engine. It is being constantly updated and the latest features in technology are inevitably going to be inhibited into this engine. From what I understand(from reading numerous other posts, a few of which are on this forum) there is new coding that was in Q3TA that enabled vast levels to become more of a reality. Large levels such as the ones featured in Jedi Knight, will most likely live on in Jedi Knight II.

Maybe someone can be more specific than I can, about what exactly was updated in the Q3TA coding to enable more wide-opened levels?

If loading times were long in elite force (same here) then JK2 definatly wont run on your computer......especially now their doubling the polygons......look at the unreal 2 minimum specs, should give us an idea. Probably need a P2 450+ minimum. Anyway, i reckon the graphics will be immense....look at team arena, those huge levels were amazing, and JK2 will use the new updated engine!!!!!WOW :eek:

The quake 3 engine is definitly the best engine for jk2. and yes it can handle out door areas extremely well....look at the huge outdoor levels in the quake3 team arena expansion pack. It runs really smooth even on my p3 450 w/ voodoo 4 32mb and 128 ram.

Yeah for some reason Quake3 suffers from the corridor crawler syndrome. Seems like some folks have no faith in it for exteriors.

Yet, Q3 tech can definitely handle large exteriors. Terrain (heightmap) rendering was always possible at the technology's release. I'm not worried about it.

The Quake 1 and 2 engines were bad for open areas. The Quake 3 engine had some problems with it, but as far as I know the Quake 3 Arena engine can handle open areas pretty good. I don't think the levels will be quite as huge-feeling as in JK1, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Guys, go look at some screenshots from Alice, Heavy Metal: FAKK2, and the upcoming Soldier of Fortune, Medal of Honor, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The game can handle large outdoor areas just fine. The reason Q3 is all in small cramped levels is because that is the best environment for a deathmatch game. You need to be able to move around quickly and have lots of surfaces to hide behind and/or create splash damage with.

There's no problem with the actual engine being able to handle large areas. The only problem I can forsee is mid-level load times on lower-spec machines. My K6-2 450 machine with 128mb RAM needed a fair bit of thinking time during those mid-level loads in Elite Force. This shouldn't be a problem on higher-spec PCs though.

The Quake3 Engine is a Major reason that iam gonna buy JKII, If you have ever played Team Arena and had a CTF game on MPTerra2 (the biggest terrain level) then you could not really wish for more space to run around in..

I think it is a good choice, raven also know the ID engines real well, they know what they can and can't do, so we are in for one really pollished game.

I cant wait

Solo

Archived