Home

1st person saber

Tre Lightshadow

I haven't heard anything about being able to use the saber in first person. In the Unofficial FAQ it says that it automatically switches to 3rd person for the saber. Well, personally, I don't like 3rd person, even for the saber. I've become quite adept at playing in 1st person. I would, personally, miss the ability to play in First person with the saber.

Guys hopefully it will be like Jedi Knight, it will be an option you can choose,i.e auto camera to 3rd person with saber.. click yes or no, and probably a button to switch between 3rd and 1st.. personally, how the hell do you guys play in 1st person, you are denying yourselves oh well thats your choice :) and im not gonna argue, everybody has their own preferences (notice how im trying to prevent a topic of flaming here,) im sure they will get it right.. it would eb a huge oversight on their parts if they ****ed the views up.. :cool:

True in 1st person you see directly where you are fighting, but A)in in 3rd person you can see all around you, so you dont get too close to a ledge or no-one sneaks up behind ya.. and B)you could use the tab button/map key so when you faught (at least in jk) you had a specific target cursor thing, just like you had in 1st person, which in my opinion was the only advantage of 1st person(although strongly outweighed by A). Oh well I hope they have both, and im sure they will.. if not they cant have played jk too much, coz both are needed.

I played JK for a few months when it first came out in first person only. Then, I finally followed the manual's advice on using 3d person camera for saber dueling, and first person for gunning.

Much easier to swordfight in 3rd person, IMO for obvious reasons: you can see around and behind yourself, giving you a perceptual advantage that first person just doesn't provide, as was said. Sometimes I gun from 3rd person as well.

Plus sometimes it's just plain cool to play from the third person perspective. Vagabond and I were doing some Rune duels in slow-motion. Very cool to watch the slo-motion character animations from 3rd person.

Whatever gamers like is good, as long as there is an option to switch between both perspectives, on demand.

Seeing how Raven has good experience with game cameras (e.g. in Heretic II), we're in good hands.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Huh, you get a better perception of depth in 1st person ( I'm assuming you mean with a lightsaber ) ??

Never heard of such a thing....heh.

I will certainly relish running circles around you 1st person saber players in a heated MP match....j/k.

Hehe I ALWAYS use 3rd person in JK, even for guns. It makes grip easier, and you have a better feel for where you are, and a wider view area. Jumps are easier in 3rd person as well.

It's a bit harder to aim, but I was so used to throwing destructions in BGJ, getting used to conc wasn't to bad. At my peak I could bullseye a bacta or boost from across BGJ while moving with speed 4 and force jumping sideways between cliffs.

It's also a big of an advantage in NF guns because you can peek around corners without exposing yourself. Best of all though, is that with the wider viewing area it's easier to spot and enemy. The person who sees the other first has the first shot advantage.

bactas don't move. :)

but ext is the best way to play jk all the time.. the added spacial awareness, better fov is a great advantage, if you want a xhair just get a transparancy, over your monitor with a x drawn on it ^^

(or fiddle about cogging one)

No games handle like JK anymore, thats years old. Games control much more realistically these days. Anyoner good at EF and have played JK will have a definate advantage over you. Xeph, you obviously havent played EF, or any new games otherwise youd know what I mean.

Guys, it's a shooter, not rocket science. Most professed "advantages" from having played games on the same engine will evaporate in a week or two (if not the first several hours of gameplay), with the remainder of the learning curve being those little parlor tricks that are typically game-specific. :)

Getting back to the topic, I've always preferred first-person sabering. Gameplay sounds and simple experience make up for the reduced visibility, in my opinion, and then there's the just flat-out better perspective for actually striking at someone --again, just my opinion. Only time will tell whether this holds true for the (hopefully) more complex saber battles of JK2.

yeah there will be similarities like you kill stuff to win.. what I really meant is similarities in the level of care put in, ef dm looks like it was done in 30 seconds :/

the fact no games handle lag like jk will be a disadvantage, but the fact jkers can use a sabre will be one to us (case in point, last lan I played in, I owned everyone at q3 gauntlets only ^^ inc some guy who at last event was 23 in the uk.. (and disapointed)

the fact he used to play nf sabs was the only thing that made him a challange to my clear dominance at walking backwards holding fire erm gauntletting ;))

jkers also have better reactions (well the good ones) their brains work faster (after playing cs and q3 for a while and then going back to jk, everything was a blur for a day or so, I couldnt keep up on map, (jkers have to do mapping and watch the main screen at the same time) and that was after just a few games of cs or q3.. so after someones played nothing but, they are screwed if jk2 is anywhere near the speed of jk1, and if it has an overlay map (which I hope it does))

jkers can handle more then 6 buttons!! (unlike most casual gamers..)

(ps jker refering to people who were slightly hardcore)

I think jk players will have some advantages, but ef/q3ers will no how the lag works.. which will help them.. it will only be temp advantage anyway.. and seeing Ive been playing both ph33r! :D

btw the little tricks in jk take a while to collect usually.. (well clans are fast track ways.. get spoon feed them :/)

I prefer 1st person for the guns, but there is NO WAY I can use the saber in 1st person view. Mainly it's bacause the saber moves faster in 1st person view, and you don't really know where the saber is because the saber has already finished swinging when the saber is still actually swinging!

Besides 3rd person saber is cooler, especially in MotS with the Saber Battles X patch instaled! :cool:

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Gabrobot ]

Hehe ya, I recently decided to go hardcore into q3 after I started raping hardcore bots into the negs and winning online. I changed the newbie 1,2,3... guns hotkeys to my q,w,e,r,f,g force hotkeys. It's sweet when you rail some one then before they know it you put a rocket in thier face hehe. It's like the feeling I got when I hit with destruct and grip almost simultaniously.

I actually needed to add 2 keys (z and x) the so I could hotkey mechinegun - plasma and zoom view. (no real need to hotkey gauntlet or BGF). You only need 6 force hotkeys in JK cause 2 powers from each side are usless.

Actually, that just made me think about hotkeys in JK2. With the Q3 engine, JK2 won't be like JK in that only 2 guns and saber were affective in MP. But then, at higher levels of force and thus speed, direct fire weapons won't be as usefull as area weapons.

I'll prolly have to go with having 2 sets of hoykeys, one made for high force (forces hotkeyed, and maybe a couple splash damage guns and saber) and a NF/low force set (all or most guns and saber, maybe a force or 2 if i have room).

Having 2 sets of hotkeys could make it a bit more challenging, but then I don't seem to have any problem going between JK and Q3. I hope there will be some type of multi user support so that I won't have to mess with resetting my hotkeys every time I change servers.

Archived