Home

I think Bill Gates doesn't like me...

TornSoul

I had some trouble with my Windows 2000 Server installation, so I decided to reinstall it. I moved all my important files to a partition on my second HD, so I wouldn't loose them. Everything went ok, until the installation said there was something wrong with the partitions on the first HD and it had to make new ones. It clearly said it would delete the existing partitions on the first harddisk and create a new one to install Windows on. I had moved all my important files to my second harddisk, so that wasn't a problem.

However, now that I have reinstalled Windows I see that it didn't just remove the partitions on my first harddisk, but also on my second one. Which means I have lost all my files. Most of them weren't that important, but there are some files I will never be able to get back. Including a big, party finished project I'm doing for LSF. I'll have to start all over :(

Originally posted by Magnum:

<STRONG>Seril: mail me in monday, I have a little program to recover files in reformatted disks.

Just don't write ANYTHING in your second disk.

Also, I hope that the partition(s) in the 2nd disk are exactly the same as before, if not, you can't recover the files :(

stein@firstmultimediagroup is my job's mail</STRONG>

I already tried a couple of things. It won't work because the partitions aren't the same and it already formatted them. :(

Originally posted by -WD- ToRMeNt:

<STRONG>Here is a hint... USE LINUX. I set a computer up on my home network as a file server running linux mandrake 8.0. It's been running for 7 days straight without rebooting.</STRONG>

I have 2 computers. One running Windows 2000 and one running Linux. I've only used Linux as a server so far though, because a lot of programs (especially games) won't run properly on Linux (even when you use wine). I've been trying different distributions the last couple of weeks. I used to use Slackware, but that isn't one of the easiest distributions. I've tried Mandrake, but they install too much junk that I don't need and can't turn off in the installation (Like X Window). I'll probably go for the Open Linux Server distribution.

I've never tried slackware. I've used redhat, SuSe and and Mandrake. Mandrake is my fave. SuSe was pretty cool, great docs, ok config tools, but i liked the mandrake and rh install better.

Redhat seems basic to me in that the only redhat specific software is rpm (which has been adopted by many) while mandrake has lots of distro specific software (hard drake mandrake control center to name a couple) and SuSe has YaST.

I like the mandrake install, you don't have to install all of the packages, not even X.

Hmmm. During install it asks you if you want to have X automaticaly start when you boot. All you have to do it say no, or you can just use harddark to configure X not to start at boot. You could even be trickier and set the X daemon not to start.

If you want to free up the space, just go in and rip X out. Of course, that taking out the graphical desktop means you will to do everything with the command line. I Hope you like Vi hehe. A good idea would to have X no start when you boot, and if you need it you can just start it up with the command "startx." Honestly though, unless you have a slow computer that you want to place a huge work load on, id leave the GUI stuff in there. If you want something that runs faster and has less eye-candy, but still has the easy of GUI, try blackbox or windowmaker.

Also the way mandrake configures LiLo, you have 3 ways to boot linux when your turn on your comp. 1) Normal (graphical), 2) command line only, or failsafe (which basicaly takes you into linuxconf then you have other options from there).

PS mandrake comes with KDE, Gnome, enlightenment, blackbox, windowmaker and some others I cant remember. I stick to KDE mostly, but I use gnome once in a while.

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: -WD- ToRMeNt ]

yer windows suck pebis. i had a similar problem, and lost all my files when the kernel decided to go on a permanent holiday and the reason i don't use linux is because i have to computer illiterate parents, and it would take to long to teach them how to se it, plus i wouldn't be allowed to partition the drive because if my parents don't understand it they say no. my life sucks. :(

Hmmm. During install it asks you if you want to have X automaticaly start when you boot. All you have to do it say no, or you can just use harddark to configure X not to start at boot. You could even be trickier and set the X daemon not to start.

If you want to free up the space, just go in and rip X out. Of course, that taking out the graphical desktop means you will to do everything with the command line. I Hope you like Vi hehe. A good idea would to have X no start when you boot, and if you need it you can just start it up with the command "startx." Honestly though, unless you have a slow computer that you want to place a huge work load on, id leave the GUI stuff in there. If you want something that runs faster and has less eye-candy, but still has the easy of GUI, try blackbox or windowmaker.

I said you couldn't install it without X. Ofcource you can choose not to use X and remove it, but it's still installed.

I've used Linux as Server only so far and for a server to run at peak performance, you only install the basic things (kernel, c compiler, lilo, a few libraries) and download the source and compile the rest (apache, ftp, ssh, ssl, mysql, php). The installs from SuSe, RedHat, Mandrake and most other systems install too much stuff I don't need for my server.

I use Slackware because you can choose exactly what you want to install. If you want to you can even install without a kernel.

Archived