Home

BLUE SHIFT RULES....

CaptainRAVE

I was blessed with the opportunity to play Blue-Shift this weekend. As some of you may know, it went gold a few weeks ago. A friend of mine who works for a computer store, got a promotional copy, and gave it to me. I started playing at about 12:30 last night as soon as I got home. I was quite eager to return to Black Mesa and relive the story from yet another perspective.

My expectations were very high, and I must say, I was NOT disappointed. I highly recommend this title.

The puzzles in the game are numerous and challenging. The high level of immersion is back and better than ever. The new models and engine enhancements make it visually pleasing as well. The game also does an excellent job of tieing all three titles together. For example, you remember at the very beginning of Half-Life, as Gordon Freeman is traveling along the train thing, off to the left is a security guard banging on a locked door. Guess who that security guard was. Yep, you guessed it. B. Calhoun, the star of Blue-Shift.

My only disapointment was the length. As I said, I started a new game at 12:30 last night. I beat the game early this afternoon (yes, I did go to sleep).

The CD also has some extras on it. The enhanced models and engine enhancements (the fog underwater looks very cool) can be installed for the original Half-Life and Opposing Force. The CD also comes with the full version of Opposing Force.

Despite its short length, Blue-Shift is definitely worth while.

I haven't played it yet, but am curious as to how they keep the story going? I mean it really is the same story, just from a diferent perspective. I found OF really lacking, (not to say I didn't love it), but it wasn't as good as HL.

Does Blue-Shift do well with the story?

Blue Shift starts technically before the original Half Life. You start on a tram like in Half Life, after a minute or so you pass Gordon Freeman, you can watch him board the tram behind your tram.

It is the same story line from a different perspective, a security gaurd. The story of Blue Shift goes right along with the way things happened in Opposing Force and Half Life.

I agree about Opposing Force, it was kind of a disappointment after Half Life. Had Blue Shift been a tad longer, I would say its better than Half Life.

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Masamune ]

Does anyone know if HL: Blue Shift is longer or shorter than Gunman Chronicles? I've played GC, and enjoyed it while it lasted, but it was short. If HL:BS is shorter, then I'm not sure I'd be interested in buying it...unless it becomes a budget title.

I've already got Half-Life, and Opposing Force (which I thought was quite good).

Even if I am persuaded to get Blue Shift, it will most definitely be the very last game I would be willing to get that is based in Black Mesa. I think they've told the same story from pretty much every angle except the aliens, and it wouldn't surprise me if they try to do that next.

If they are working on Half-Life 2, then I can say in all honestly I hope this is one sequel that has nothing to do with the original. They need to move on and up to the next level if they have any hope at all of duplicating the impact Half-Life had on the gaming community.

Just IMO. ;)

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:

<STRONG>GC was cool! The problem was we compared it to half life, which was too long!! Blue Shift will definatly be shorter because it is even shorter than opposing force!</STRONG>

Actually, I liked the length of Half-Life. The only thing I really didn't like about the game was ending up in Xen, and the key boss at the end was rubbish. The head-crab's big mom was great, and they should have ended the game after defeating that one.

Opposing Force had the same problem - the boss at the end was silly.

I believe Gunman Chronicles is shorter than Opposing Force (I haven't played OF for some time, so I'm unsure). That was why I wondered if Blue Shift was shorter than GC.

Anyway, it might be worth getting Blue Shift just for some of the updated tech, which is supposed to upgrade the original Half-Life. I think I read that somewhere. Anyone have any idea about what BS changes in HL?

Archived