Home

Nasa Hacker Gets Jailed

CaptainRAVE

Raymond Torricelli, a 21 year old New York resident has pleaded guilty to hacking into 2 computers at Nasa. He later used one of them to host hacking chat sessions.

He has been given a 4 month prison sentence and will then have 4 months of home confinement after it. He also has to pay Nasa $4,400.

He admitted he broke into Nasa's computers in 1998 and that he had been a member of the hacker group "#conflict".

Now DONT get any ideas :)

• 2 weeks later...

So you think it's cool to hack into NASA's computers, do you?

Would you still think it was cool if a terrorist group was doing the hacking, and that their intent was to sow the seeds of chaos and destruction?

The only intelligent thing this hacker has managed to do is show that there is a way in.

Instead of persecuting this man, perhaps NASA ought to think about hiring people like him to test their systems in the future - before someone else does. That would be a practical solution to an ever-growing problem.

The only intelligent thing this hacker has managed to do is show that there is a way in.

Exactly.

Instead of persecuting this man, perhaps NASA ought to think about hiring people like him to test their systems in the future - before someone else does. That would be a practical solution to an ever-growing problem.

The way I see it, if there was no harm done, the kid should get off with community service. Maybe that community service could involve him teaching the NASA system administrators a few of the holes in their system and how to keep people like himself out of it. It should be about strengthening security, not over-crowding our jails with non-violent criminals. I don't think that people should get prison time in cases like these, unless they were malicious.

The way I see it, if there was no harm done, the kid should get off with community service. Maybe that community service could involve him teaching the NASA system administrators a few of the holes in their system and how to keep people like himself out of it. It should be about strengthening security, not over-crowding our jails with non-violent criminals. I don't think that people should get prison time in cases like these, unless they were malicious.

I agree. Now it shouldn't just be like every two bit cracker who breaks into a system should be awarded a job and a 401k on the spot, but at least companies should take advantage of their knowledge to protect their assets, instead of, like you say, adding more non-violent criminals to prisons and further over-crowding them...

Kurgan

Archived