Home

Play Games Without CD-ROM Slowdown - AMAZING

CaptainRAVE

Experienced gamers know the frustration of lag and slowdowns caused by loading information from the typically pokey CD-ROM drive.

Luckily, Farstone Technology has come up with a solution. Their Virtual Drive emulates a CD-ROM, allowing gamers to load up to 23 CDs in virtual drives on their hard drive. This gives the equivalent of a 200X CD-ROM, and makes gameplay smoother.

The Virtual Drive can be downloaded for $40, and works with all Windows versions above Win 3.1. However, not all CDs are compatible with the software, and a very large hard drive is recommended, as games take up a lot of room.

Unfortunatly, my hard disk is very small. So no joy for me :(

Guest Sherack Nhar

I'd have to agree with ed. I hate having to put my CD in the drive in the first place, so I crack the games I bought.

I've got a 30 gig hard drive, so no worries on the space side :)

As Seryl says this is not new at all, Iv seen free programs that do the same

No worries with 30 Gigs? How can you do it

I have 40 gigs and I have space problems

No matter the hard drive I get Its always full, when you just get it its like wow, Ill never get this HD filled up, and in a week you dont have free space :(

Guest Krayt Tion

Yep, places like GameCopyWorld have been providing me with perfectly legal and hassle-free CD cracks for my games for years.

My 40 giger reached its capacity after about a year of carefree downloading and dumping ( if you do not include my constantly rotating DivX collection, movies at ~700 megs a pop).

There are many ways HD space gets mysteriously sucked up. A good place to start if you need some space is by deleting your Temporary Internet Files under Internet Options for IE. I cleared out close to Half a Gig worth of these files recently after only about a month's worth of heavy browsing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krayt Tion

That's a neat trick matt, thanks.

Here's one for you, if you really want to delete all your temporary internet files (there are still some hidden even after emptying them through IE):

Start Button (Right Click) >> Explore >> Windows >> Temporary Internet Files >> Select All then Delete

There might be some cookies mixed in there as well and you might have to select the temp internet files individually if you want to keep some cookies.

The main cookies folder is in a different location, however. If you want ever to delete all your cookies (I had thousands before I cleared mine out but they don't take up that much space) follow the same steps and find the Cookies folder.

I hate spyware. ; p

I use Adaware, although you can just clear your Temp, Temporary Internet Files (and the sub folders in Content.IExx), and Cookies folders to get rid of most of that crap (be sure you make hidden files visible as well).

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Originally posted by digl:

<STRONG>

No worries with 30 Gigs? How can you do it

I have 40 gigs and I have space problems

No matter the hard drive I get Its always full, when you just get it its like wow, Ill never get this HD filled up, and in a week you dont have free space :(</STRONG>

You must have an awful lot of crap on that drive, coz i manage with a 6.4 and a 1.1, and ive got so much stuff, ive lost track of it all :)

i should be getting my 80 gig soon (i know...... overkill....... but itll do me a while, and i can get a good deal on it)

Ive only got 6 gigs.

This pc isn't that old tho. '99 I think

It is a 433 mhz. 64 meg of RAM. Intel celeron.

This beast is gonna go soon before I play it. One of my mates is gonna get put through university by IBM. He's gonna make me one mega cheap. :)

wardz

Originally posted by Kurgan:

[QB]I hate spyware. ; p

I use Adaware, although you can just clear your Temp, Temporary Internet Files (and the sub folders in Content.IExx), and Cookies folders to get rid of most of that crap (be sure you make hidden files visible as well).

[QB]

How would i be able to make hidden files visible?

Guest Krayt Tion

Well, if you just want the spyware to stop spying on you right now without any programs:

Start >> Run >> type in "msconfig" (without quotes) >> select Startup tab >> uncheck anything that you don't need and think might be spyware to disable it from starting up

That's it. If you uncheck something your system actually needs (like ScanRegistry or SystemTray, please be careful what you uncheck) you can always go back and recheck it later.

You'll notice it also gives you the exact location of all those files in your startup so you know where to delete them. Spyware typically remains on your system even after you thought you'd deleted the entire program- a file remains hidden. But it can't hide from msconfig. :cool:

You can also stop a whole lot of other crap that you don't need running in the background of your system (that isn't even spyware) from that screen.

After knocking off about 7 or 8 things from my startup that were running without my knowledge/permission in the background I increased my System Resources by 12% and cut my boot time in half.

Good luck, you'll probably be angry when you see that some popular programs have been spying on you all along, but damn it feels good to send them packin.

Archived