Home

Danger Sense, will Raven be smart enough to put it in?

AriBen_Kenobi

Hey,

Ok........picture this, you are playing multiplayer JK Outcast with your buddy on Cloud City, you are a Jedi Master with your blue lightsabre activated, ready for the kill, when all of a sudden, POP! and you drop to the ground, dead from a sniper shot, does that sound right to you? Would not it be smart for Raven to put in a Danger Sense that automatically causes your player to jump out of the way when it calculates that a bullet is heading for you? It sounds perfectly reasonable to me, not that we don't want balance. You should be automatically able to evade the first shot if playing as a Jedi, but after that, if you don't bother to turn around and block, then you should become toast, what do you think? Also, are they putting in a something that keeps Jedi and Gunners seperated, like classes, so if your a Jedi you can use force and sabre but no guns, but gunners can use guns but no force and sabre ect..

Thats a good idea, but

A jedi would definitely sense that danger coming. But whats the time delay between when a shot is fired and when it hits you? I'd imagine not very long at all, and if there was some kind of warning of a bullet coming, you'd have a miniscule amount of time to move. An automatic jumping away...i don't like the sound of that. I don't want the computer controlling my character at all.

Picture this, you and your buddy know theres a cowardly sniper. You reach out with the force and render yourself invisible using force persuasion (is that in the game?). Sneak up behind him, ignite your sabre and de-limbify your opponent.

...the Danger Sense is a good idea, however, I think it should be implemented differently from how you have suggested.

In singleplay, the game will know who your enemies are, so when an enemy is targeting you, some sort of danger indicator should appear on your screen. Perhaps some sort of red, flashing icon. Further, if you were really strong in this power, maybe when you brought up your map (there will be a map, right?), the hostiles might show up in red, as in the original Jedi Knight.

Similarly, in multiplay, when anyone who is not on your team targets you, the same indicator appears. For example, in Death Match, anyone who targets you would set off this sense. In Team Death Match, however, your team mates could run their reticle over you without setting off your danger sense, which only makes sense - as you and your teamies are running around, it only makes sense that you'll accidently target each other from time to time, and you wouldn't want that to continually set off your danger sense.

But as far as automatically avoiding incoming fire, I'm not for that. The Danger Sense described in the Expanded Universe doesn't do that. It alerts the Jedi to danger, and what the Jedi does with this advance warning is up to the Jedi. If they want to take evasive action, great. If they want to face it head-on, then that's great too. I think it would allow different tactics and gameplay variability if you allow the player the flexibility to react to the danger warning dynamically.

Hmm... I think it is up to if u sense an enemy coming near or firing at you...it depends on the skill of the player... In mots, counter-strike I have to think very much to survive and I can almost feel what the enemy is doing or thinking. Sometimes I know when danger is coming :evanpiel::lsduel:

I think this is possible in JK1 too. If you are on editing you'll understand me...

Each weapon should always shoot a ghost projectile and if this intercept you the icon brights (damage=0). It is very similar to a red laser, like the one Hideki did into his enhancement pack. Maybe I'll do it myself... ;)

Picture this. u have force pushed another jedi off a cliff. So u walk to the edge to see him fall all the way down to the bottomless pit. then someone shoots the computer automatticly jumps off the cliff.. er.. no thank u i'd rather take the shot and have a chance of living rather than commiting suicide.

Or what about the repeater u'd be liek a maniac... "AGGHH!! stop shooting the air above me" jsut so u'd act liek an idiot so definately not computer controleld stuff.

I also dont like the idea of automatic jumping at all

Maybe there could be an indicator that someone is aiming at you, but there should be some limits, i.e. if the sniper is too far away you dont sense anything, or you justs sense it if he aims at you for about half a second, not instantly, because otherwise Itd be impossible to attack a jedi with weapons if you are far from him

i dont think danger sense is a good thing to add in the game, for 1 thing its kind of hard to add "future telling" stuff in games, especially in multiplayer, besides adding a force power that moves u out of the way is kind of letting the game play for u, there would be no difference from skilled people who can think fast enough to move and noobs who use the power,if u really want to have force predict go take some jedi lessons :D

Still, I think an indicator that someone has their reticle on you is doable in both single and multiplay, no ESP required. Further, if you choose to evade or decide to face the enemy with the intention of blocking the attack with your lightsaber, that is entirely the player's choice. I wouldn't mind this power at all.

Guest [eVe]DeathBoLT

jedi knights can see that they're about to be attacked through the force..

however we, the player, aren't jedi.. this is where the game must step in.. auto-block works just fine here..

Vagabond's idea is reasonable and easy to apply i would think. The game however should not dodge for u, in th EU a Jedi can sense other beings etc... within a certain radius according to skill but it's up to the Jedi to act.

This would be interesting for SP but on MP probably useless because of the flurry of activity, could add to the mood of SP and 1 on 1 duels though like the motion tracker effect in AVP series.

I like Vagabond's idea too.

At the lowest skill level, the "danger sense" might only be 50% reliable. So people can still target you without your knowledge half the time

At higher levels, the ability would not only be 100% reliable, but might also show a little "arrow" from which direction the danger is coming. It could also show MULTIPLE arrows if, say, 2 players have you targetted at the same time. This would help stop "jamming" tactics, where one player fills your danger sense meter while another fires at you from someplace else.

But no auto-dodging. It causes more problems than it solves, and would probably be VERY annoying. Not worth trying to implement it.

Me agree with Vagabond, I was think exactly the same concept. :) It would be cool if the danger sense thing works like how damage indicator worked in Half-Life. So in this case if somebody is aiming from above, there would be a red sigh on the top portion of your screen as a warning. So you might then start to do the crazy dance of jumping and strafing around until you find the hunter and charge at him.

And to Ari Ben, I was just thinking about that, and made a post too, but I don't think there's anything official about a MP mode that has a class system. But here's my post/poll:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25383

A very simple danger sense ability would be pretty easy to implement, I would have thought.

In Half-Life, when you get hit, a red flash comes up on your HUD showing you the direction you are being hit from, allowing you to quicky respond.

All you would need is a similar system that flashed up when enemies were near, rather than when after they hit you.

It wouldn't be perfect and I doubt it would detect snipers (if the range on it was that long, it would never be off!), but a simple compromise is often the way to go with these things.

Very good, Vag. That's using the old noodle... ;)

Yes, I think some kind of danger indicator could definitely add to the game, if implemented properly. As stated above, defining the range of activation would be key to making it work in a way that doesn't harm the overall gameplay. Any visual cue shouldn't be too intrusive, or it would rapidly become annoying.

I agree that there should not be an auto-response to it, though. I'd want to remain in full control of what action to take, and when. ;)

Archived