Home

Lord of the rings...

Air Juggernaut

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest garyah99

I have been waiting for Lord of the Rings to come out for a long time. I'm a little leary though, 'cause of some things I've heard about the movie not being true to the books. IE; some elf princess named Arwen having a crush on Aragorn. I dont' recall anyhting like that in LOTR. I'm all for a little poetic licence, I just hope they don't screw up the whole thing.

It's been getting very good reviews from the critics who have been allowed to see it.

I guess there was a little "Hollywood-ization" in a few spots, but that's understandable, considering the fact that the movie has to be able to stand on it's own for folks who are totally unfamiliar with Tolkien's works.

There were hobbit things and dwarves and elves and possibly gnomes (I might have imagined those after spray painting indoors). There was not a single tank, airstrike, or Nazi/Soviet anywhere. Also there were no robots of any kind. I could go on and on listing the stuff it didn't have. All those things are the reason I didn't like it.

When did you read the books Garyah? :)

Arwen is certainly in them, although her role has been expanded somewhat.

I've read the books 18 times, but I support PJ totally in any changes he makes. I want to see what he can do with the story.

I haven't read the Potter series. I'm not in a hurry to experience a pale shadow of Narnia, but I'll probably read them eventually.

As a writer, I can see what Rowlings was doing with Harry Potter; she was taking all the tripe high-fantasy clichés and putting them all together in one stewpot. In that sense, I can see that it's an interesting result, but I can still "taste" each individual cliché.

I haven't had any contact with Tolkien since I was in High School; I'm planning to get the new editions of the books (the old ones I borrowed from the library), but I certainly won't get a chance to read them until next summe, at the earliest.

I am confident though that LotR will kick Potter all the way back to England.

For cool Lord of the Rings avatars, click <a href="http://www.boomspeed.com/little_dende/avatars.html">here</a>!

Gary, you silly guy! Arwen is certainly a character of Tolkien's: she is the one whom Aragorn marries at the end. However there is a rather small difference between her roles in the book and the movie: in the movie she is a major character, one of the main ones; in the book, she has one line. One line!!

So I am upset that they changed it that much, but hopefully Peter Jackson knew what he was doing and her role might add to it. Hopefully... but from what I've seen and read, it sounds like it's going to be a really great movie.

They are even expecting it to steal Star Wars' role as the greatest fantasy film ever made. ;)

As it should, since it is one of the greatest books ever written.

LOTR better be good or i am going to wreak havoc, and some of the people who read the books and saw the movie complained about the fact that some of the characters, mainly Sam (a hobbit), didn't have good character developement....but most of them failed to remind themselves that character developement expanded over the entire 3 books.

Archived