Home

A Problem With Hermen Toothrot

Joshi

Hermans, actually a really great guy, and really funny, i have nothing against him personally. but to anyone who has completed escape, they may see somthing wrong with his confession.

i'd like to point out now that this is a spoiler. you have been warned.

first of all, he says ozzie mandrill pushed him into a whirlpool in Austrailia in a boat race which landede him on monkey island. but in the Secret of monkey island (MI1) on his ship is the log of his shipmate about their voyage to monkey island and herman actually says that he came on an expedition to find the secret of monkey island and got stranded there.

Secondly, he says that he's actually HT Marley, who guybrush says was killed in a whirlpool in austrailia. but in Curse, at the end when talking to lechuck, le chuck says he killed HT marley. so none of it really makes sense. what do you think.;)

all points well taken, but it seems he was right about all of the things in MI4, he is elaines grandfather, and he did go to australia only to end up on monkey island, so thanks to you all, but it still hasn't solved the problem. let's see what else we can come up with;)

Ah yes, another of the great mysteries of MI, almost as confusing as the end of MI2.

The facts have been laid out in the MI series but don't make sense:

From MI1:

1)Herman came with his captain/shipmate to Monkey Island

2)Shipmate died (we see him hanged in MI 1)

From MI2:

3)The Big Whoop Book says that HT Marley disappeared (I don't remember the exact wording) in some America's cup

from MI3:

4)LeChuck claims to have killed Grandpa Marley during the Americas Cup race

From MI4:

5)HT Marley went to Australia on a race, Mandrill pushes him into whirlpool, ends up on Monkey Island (with a bad case of amnesia)

Most of these facts are contradictory. However, here's my solution:

The original Herman went to search for MI with his mate. They found the island and both of them got stranded there and BOTH OF THEM DIED. Then HT Marley goes to Australia and ends up on Monkey Island, courtesy of Ozzie Mandrill and looses all memory. He assumes the name of Herman Toothrot, by the initials on his accordian and he might have heard the name from the local cannibals. So HT Marley starts thinking that he is Herman Toothrot and starts living his Hermit life. MI1 starts now and guybrush goes to Monkey island and continues his adventures till MI2. Now I have no idea why the book in MI2 claims that Marley went and disappered in an american race, when he actually disappeared off the coast of Australia. Wait a minute, i just thought up of something. The race must have been a cross- pacific race, with the West American coast as it's half-way point. That way it can be called the American cup as well, but wait a sec. In the picture that Marley draws on the sand, he draws the boats on the west side of Australia! Damn! there goes my opinion. Well maybe he didn't draw the sand picture properly (he IS suffering from memory loss, and I really think that Guybrush should hit him on the head once again.

Well anyway, to continue with my story, leChuck might have been after Marley too and searched for him near the American coast. But Ozzie got to him first and pushed him into the whirlpool. As for LeChuck's story about killin' Elaine's grandpa, well, LeChuck's got a reputation for lying and bragging about himself. (Just like he tried to bluff Guybrush into telling him the Secret of Monkey Island in CMI [but none of them knew it at the time]). So LeChuck was after Marley, but never got to him and since Marley disapperaed, he told everyone that he had killed him.

Well i guess that about wraps it up. I'm gonna mention one more point. I read at some site (I think Legends of Monkey Island) that Elaine must have 2 grand pas. I do not go with that theory at all!!!

Well guys, waiting for your opinions on my post. Hope it wasn't too long :)

well, that about wraps it up fine doesn't it. i'll have to admit, you've got a much better imagination thatn me (and a lot more time on your hands to write so much) but i think you may have got it right, and here's hoping they sort it all out in MI5.

i've never seen you before and you have 'wannabe pirate' under your name meaning you're new, so welcome.

thanks again. bye

This is what I think: Lechuck paid Ozzie Mandrill to push Herman into the whirl pool which somehow Ozzie didn't get caught in. Herman got knocked out but lived. He appeared on Melee Island and thought that he was Herman Toothrot from the initials on his accordian and bought the Sea Cucumber from Stan and sailed to Monkey Island. Some monkeys then took the Sea Cucumber to Plunder Island and never came back. Herman got stranded with only a lifeboat. He went to Melee Island with Guybrush then sailed to Dinky Island. Then sailed over to Monkey Island and used his ship as a hut( containing his hammock):)

It is a brief explanation of what I think, sorta sounds outta the story.

here's something interesting i found out in worldofmi.com, in herman/H.T's story, he doesn't say he was washed up on monkey island, only that he was thrown on the other side of the world, so he could have ended up on any island in the carrabean and being so beaten up by lechuck, no one could regognise him, which explains SOMI if you think about it.

what if hermans just some guy who think's he's h.t. because he's heard stories about him and looks like him, that would make sense, but then again maybe not (ok ok, so this was just a desperate attept at putting in a post so more people look at it.) bye

Archived