Home

Will I be able to run JKII?

Terrin

Amd k6-2 450

128 RAM

Asus 32meg Geforce 2mx 400

Has there been any definate minimum specs to JKII yet? I REALLY want to play this game, but I may be thwarted by the fact my computer isn't that high on itself...

Any help would be great.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Terrin

Amd k6-2 450

128 RAM

Asus 32meg Geforce 2mx 400

Has there been any definate minimum specs to JKII yet? I REALLY want to play this game, but I may be thwarted by the fact my computer isn't that high on itself...

Any help would be great.

I played through Elite Force on exactly that spec (okay, So my MX was made by Hercules, but let's not split hairs here). It was perfectly fluid in 800x600x16 with a couple of the other options turned down to medium. I reckon that JK II will be a little more demanding than EF despite what everyone says (much higher polygon counts, more detailed textures, GHOUL2, etc.) but you should still find the game eminently playable on lower detail settings. It will look far from fantastic, of course, and while a better graphics card and another 128mb RAM will help speed things up, the root of the problem is that a K6-2 simply can't cut it with today's games. I know, I had one up until four months ago.

What about me?

P II 266

64 megs ram

Voodoo 3 16 megs

:( :( :(

I need a new comp.

But this game is going to run if I have to turn all the setting down and play it without sound!!!! I'll be mad if I have to take off the music though.

Actually I expect I'll be able to run it just fine. Most games are actually pretty lenient, and I have a cable modem to make up for it online.

Ok guys, I'm conflicted on what to upgrade to, the boys at Yoda's Swampe know all about my problems. Heres my current system:

PIII 550

640 mb RAM

SB Live Value

Nvidia TNT 2 32 mb video

I am building a new computer, my dream PC over the summer, towards the end, but there are some big games comming out this spring, graphics heavy games. I need input. I don't want to spend more than about 100 bucks on a video card, AGP of course. Its between the GeForce 2 MX-400 and the ATI Radeon, either 32 mb DDR or 64 mb SD. To those who have the MX, how is it in todays games, and how does it compare to the ATI cards. And to anyone who can answer, I've yet to find an answer to this, what is better, 32 mb DDR or 64 mb SD? Finally, how am I looking for JK II if I leave my system the same.

PS: When considering my video issue, keep in mind I really play at both high and low res, and performance is very important, just as if not more than visual apeal, I need high framerate, I can't stand to be bogged down.

THanks guys.

1. The requirments will be much higher than Elite Force. Just because Raven made it, it doesn't mean it'll be the same.

The MINIMUM to get JK2 to run on low-res, all detail on low, will probably be:

-Pentium 3 500 MHz

-16MB 3-D Card

-128MB RAM

To run it smoothly, in low or medium detail, you'll probably need at least:

-Pentium 3 850 MHz

-32MB 3-D Card

-128MB RAM

To run it smoothly on high detail, high-res, you'll want something like this:

-Athlon 1.4 GHz or higher

-64MB 3-D Card such as a GeForce 2 Ultra or greater

-256MB RAM

When I say smooth, I mean at least 40-50 FPS. 24 FPS does not count as smooth. The average human can perceive up to 85 FPS, NOT 24 or 30.

BTW,

[sWS]Strider:

That Mac of yours is PLENTY to run the Mac version of JK2. You should be able to hack it on full detail, highest res, at like 60+ FPS.

Toa Tahu:

WHY do you have Win XP? It's inferior to Windows 2000 in EVERY way, I dunno why you'd put that on there!

1. No, I was not those other names.

2. Win XP Professional better than 2000 for a server??!?! LOL OMG!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! You really don't know what your talking about, do you? Windows 2000 Advanced Server is the best server OS Microsft has ever come out with. It's better than any version of Win NT. Infact, it's the best thing for a server other than Linux, FreeBSD, Unix or something based on Unix.

3. SWS, I see your point. But when we run Windows, we can use all the software that comes out. You Mac heads are stuck in slow-ass emulation mode. ;-)

Oh dear, XP is most certainly not better than 2k for anything. Let us analyze just what XP is. It retains the basics of the 2k kernel, save minor modifications. On top of it, is the base for the win2k interface, except it is bloated, and rather than having the interface hard coded, it is image-based, therefore resulting in a decrease in speed. It's far less secure, any added bloat (of which win2k has very little, but xp has far too much) adds to both instability and insecurity, making xp bad for servers. Its compatibility is no better than 2k, no matter what MS will tell you, its win98 compatibility is no more than a sad attempt at incorporating the 9x and 2k kernels, something any security expert will tell you is a very ugly thing. Basically, XP is 2k, but slower, more bloated, less stable, less secure, and with worse compatibility.

Originally posted by Emon1

1. The requirments will be much higher than Elite Force. Just because Raven made it, it doesn't mean it'll be the same.

The MINIMUM to get JK2 to run on low-res, all detail on low, will probably be:

-Pentium 3 500 MHz

-16MB 3-D Card

-128MB RAM

To run it smoothly, in low or medium detail, you'll probably need at least:

-Pentium 3 850 MHz

-32MB 3-D Card

-128MB RAM

To run it smoothly on high detail, high-res, you'll want something like this:

-Athlon 1.4 GHz or higher

-64MB 3-D Card such as a GeForce 2 Ultra or greater

-256MB RAM

When I say smooth, I mean at least 40-50 FPS. 24 FPS does not count as smooth. The average human can perceive up to 85 FPS, NOT 24 or 30.

Uhmm, it's not cuz Raven made it but b(c it is based on same engine !! Elite force used Carcass, JK II takes Ghoul II which is made of Carcass+Ghoul I (SoF).

Requirements shouldn't be higher than with RtCW ..

Archived