Home

Will I be able to run JKII?

Terrin

My family recently got a new computor ( even though i had to give mine to my dad so he can use it, so for the most part me and my dad traded it.... i think i got a good deal:) .) I know its a good computor and everything but will i be able too run at the highest level of graphics, here are the system specs.

Pentium 4 at 2.0 ghz

512 RAM or SDRAM or whatever its called.

NVIDIA GeForce2 32 mb

Windows XP home edition

to you think it will be able to play over the internet on highest possible detail. I have a 56k now but will soon have Cable modem. Thanks for the help...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BoMbER

My family recently got a new computor ( even though i had to give mine to my dad so he can use it, so for the most part me and my dad traded it.... i think i got a good deal:) .) I know its a good computor and everything but will i be able too run at the highest level of graphics, here are the system specs.

Pentium 4 at 2.0 ghz

512 RAM or SDRAM or whatever its called.

NVIDIA GeForce2 32 mb

Windows XP home edition

to you think it will be able to play over the internet on highest possible detail. I have a 56k now but will soon have Cable modem. Thanks for the help...

Wow! :eek:

Nice configuration! FYI: I think your RAM is RDRAM OR DDR if it's northbridge and the new one

Again, I don't like XP. From what I read from PCWorld magazine, XP has about 15 large compatibility problems, softwares such as PartitionMagic, Norton Ghost, even AOL. XP SE is going to be released by MS in 2003...so that's....:confused:

To find out how much RAM you have in your system (if you are running Win95 or above), just do the following...

Click on the Start button.

Click on Settings

Click on Control Panel

In the window that pops up, look for System (should be down the bottom of the list) and click on it.

In the dialog box that pops up, click the Performance tab.

The amount of RAM in your PC should be the first thing listed under Memory.

:)

Of course, if you are using an OS other than Windows, please ignore the above.

Also, welcome to the forums (read my sig for your welcome gift) ;)

Originally posted by Obi Kwan

Is there a way to determine what TYPE or Ram one has in control panel? I want to upgrade from 128 mb or ram, but i dont know which to purchase. :confused:

Not as far as I'm aware... you can likely find out what speed your RAM is by looking in the BIOS, but if your not familiar with it then don't go changing anything in there until you have at least a fairly good idea as to what it might do... it could either be beneficial (for OC'ing purposes... ;)) or disastrous.

If you intend to upgrade your RAM yourself, then you may as well just open her up and take a look :) (always earth yourself to the case, and turn it off fist!!!)

If you know very little (or even nothing...) about the inside of your PC, then search the web for introductions to upgrading/starting from scratch. It's worth learning, and can save you quite a bit in installation fees, too :D

If you do open your PC up and have a look, the RAM might well have a helpful sticker on it with the specs, but if it doesn't, read the part # and put it into a search engine - you'll often find the specs that way :)

Try to get an identical module if you can, as it will work much better that way (you have to default to the lowest common denominator)

An alternative (the best one, IMO) is to upgrade your ram from scratch by ditching your old module and replacing it with a new one twice the size (or several new ones... ;)). That way you won't have any incompatibility problems.

If you have any more questions, post back here or PM me and I'll try to answer :)

PS - I recommend Micron RAM, sold online at - www.crucial.com - it comes with a lifetime warranty and performs very well (It's relatively cheap, too ;))

Is there a way to determine what TYPE or Ram one has in control panel? I want to upgrade from 128 mb or ram, but i dont know which to purchase. :confused:

Depends what kind of motherboard you have.

it = PC

If you bought it like 2 years ago, it's a SDRAM

If you bought it a year ago, and it's AMD, it MIGHT be DDR OR SDRAM (depends on the mobo)

If you bought it a year ago, and it's a P4, it's a RDRAM

I think you can always go back to System configuration or Device Manager to look for your memory....or at the start up screen it might show

Ok, I managed to talk my parents into getting a GeForce2, Pentium 4 1ghz, and 128mb ROM... to install these will my data on my computer be erased?? I wasn't sure because I thought the mother board holds the info from your computer than again, the Pentium might be the mother board ahh...! I dunno anything about computers :confused:

Originally posted by MuRaSaMuNe

Ok, I managed to talk my parents into getting a GeForce2, Pentium 4 1ghz, and 128mb ROM... to install these will my data on my computer be erased?? I wasn't sure because I thought the mother board holds the info from your computer than again, the Pentium might be the mother board ahh...! I dunno anything about computers :confused:

Ok, simplified explanation :)

Your hard drive stores EVERYTHING you got on your computer!

You will probably need to change your motherboard since it is a P4.

128MB ROM == 128MB RAM, RDRAM more specifically

GeForce 2 = Video card, gives you better graphic especially in games

I suggest you to get an AMD Athlon Thunderbird instead of P4 because:

1.) RDRAM is a waste of money

2.) P4 is more expensive than AMD

3.) At the same speed, 1.0Ghz, AMD runs faster

If you want a new computer, nothing will be erased AS LONG AS you remove your hard drive from your computer.

Anymore questions? I'll be answering :)

Originally posted by Bio Warrior

*sigh* if you definently need a pentium3 700 to run JK2 on medium then ill need a new comp i only got a celeron 566 with 256 mb or ram and a geforce 2 and not to sure if i can upgrade my processor chip atleast i can still run it on low at the least

If you have ANY money at all, (P3 is really cheap since P4 got to 2.2Ghz already), buy a 800Mhz (about $100). (You'd probably need to change a mobo also...depends).

I don't know how well it will run under minimum...I thought minimum just means that the game will run...

yea that should run it, but nowhere near its full graphical glory i'd imagine :|

i dunno if my system will be able to run the game with full options @ 1024x768 (my typical res.) and i runnin:

P4 1.6GHz

512mb SDRAM

Geforce 2 MX400 64mb (i plan 2 upgrade)

but u'll be able to run it, dun worry :)

Thanks for the help Waccy! now i know where to start on the road to more memory :)

Your welcome :)

I hope my post wasn't too confusing - I tend to get overly technical given half a chance :D

If you have any other Q's, just PM me and I'll answer them if I can, or if I can't I'll point you in the direction of someone who can :)

Posted by Zx2

i dunno if my system will be able to run the game with full options @ 1024x768 (my typical res.) and i runnin:

P4 1.6GHz

512mb SDRAM

Geforce 2 MX400 64mb (i plan 2 upgrade)

If you're upgrading to a GeForce3 or equiv. then you should be able to run everything on full at 1024 quite comfortably :)

Originally posted by 7

im pretty sure that my comp will run JKII, but the only problem i would have is that i only have a 16mb nVidia Vanta card and i know its junk but would it still run JKII?

:duel:

I wouldn't bet on a 16MB nVidia Vanta...cuz I think the minimum requirement is a Voodoo3, AT LEAST 32MB...

Archived