Home

freespace 2

Zargon

I know some of you have/had it and played it....

What exactly is it called? Its not listed on volitions site as freespace 2. Is it called Freespace: Silent Threat? i thikn thats themissoin pack for #1? I want a copy of 2 but have no real way of getting one......any suggestions?

The Freespace series is a offshoot of the Decent series, so sometimes you get more results looking for it that way.

Here, I found a bookmark that might help: Freespace 2

I've seen it both in Best Buy and Wal-Mart recently, as jewel-case specials. It might be out of print right now.

It's a GREAT game! Highly reccomended. I hope you find it.

Good luck, pilot!

Originally posted by Poor Bastard

Yes, freespace 2 is a great game. If you're living in 1999, that is.

A great game is always a great game.

The classics are timeless.

It's still better than most of the games that have been released since.

Classic games like that don't matter about graphics.

For anybody who hasn't played the 1986 game Space Quest 1: The Sarien Encounter by Sierra, it has a text interface. It was the first game with graphics! And it's fine!

Besides, XWA was 1999 and we're on an XWA site!

Originally posted by Jem

I wonder how many Newtons was the impact force on that kid's face...

Let's try this with some elementary mechanics...

poorkid.bmp

The guy makes 4 turns in approximately 3 seconds. That would make his angular velocity 4 (turns) * 2pi (radians per turn) / 3 (seconds) = 8.38 rad/s

The velocity of his foot then becomes (see picture): angular velocity * length of the leg = 8.38 (rad/s) * ±0.75 (m) = ± 6.28 m/s.

Let's say the kid has a velocity of 1 m/s, so the relative velocity v becomes (when the velocity vectors are on the same line on the moment of impact) 6.28 + 1 = 7.28

Newton's second law states F = d/dt (m * v), or in the more familiar version, F = m * a (when m = constant). Having a finite time difference, we can use Newton's second to formulate:

m * v = F * dt

The product m * v is known as the momentum and F * dt as the impulse. Suppose now that the impact mass of the foot + part of the leg is equal to 10 kg, the impuls becomes 10 * 7.28 = 72.8 kg*m/s

The duration of the impact is hard to estimate. Let's just take 0.3 seconds. The impact force becomes:

F = (m * v)/dt = 62.8/0.3 = 243 N

This is just a quick estimate, which differs a great deal from the real impact force. In reality, the impact mass and time will be different. Moreover, the angular velocity and thus the impact force will vary over time, because of the nature of the impact and the dancer feeling he's hitting something/someone.

And yes, I know I can be put away for these sort of things. :D

Hey, that's funny!! hheehehehe

I saw something like that in real life, this little kid was outside our car door, my dad was talking to someone about a house we were supposed to find, and his brother comes speeding down with his bike, and slams the kid in the hiead with the HANDLEBAR!!!!!! I was trying VERY hard not to laugh me head off.

I had a similar thing happen to me while playing basketball. Someone didn't see me, and slammed the basketball right at my face, it hit my nose, and i made some blood puddles all over the court. :D

Archived