Home

Destructible Structures

SaberPro

I was wondering, can you destroy ALL the buildings you see? I mean from destroying a small pole, or cutting through a steel door (like in Episode I) to an AT-AT or a TIE Fighter....? Will the structure malfunction/move out of place or fall and will it affect the gameplay and the storyline? Can you destroy structures with your lightsaber throw?! Any ideas?

im hoping it would be like that..come across a door but u need a key and u cant find it any where cut ur way through. that would make the game a whole lot betta if it is gonna be like that. espescally if some1 is hiding in a mp game in and room and isnt coming out just cut ur way in...:drool:

A mapper can make certain things destructable (like how Kyle cuts into a wall in the UK trailer), but over all the answer is NO. Quake 3 engine maps are not made of destructable brushes. So you won't be able to tear up the environment. You may be able to scorch it up a bit though.

Cyclone

Originally posted by Pogwaffle

Destructable doors (and things like that) will probably be in mp. But I dont think is will in sp, it would make it too easy and sorta stuffs the purpose of puzzles.

Exactly. If there was a maze then you could just cut your own path......but in multiplayer it might be possible :D

Guest X-Vector

There is no GeoMod engine in JO, (semi-)random destruction won't be possible and locked doors will still be nuclear blast resistant locked doors if Kyle doesn't carry the appropriate key/keycard/fake fingerprint tissue/whatever.

I wouldn't go and expect JO to be all that much interactive in general, you might get disappointed since environmental interactivity doesn't seem to have been high up on Raven's priority agenda and there's only so much you can focus on in roughly 14 months of development.

I'm pretty sure the time and attention has been spent elsewhere (lightsaber combat, level design, storyline).

You suck up :D

i have a good idea for the saber cutting, you're on the other side of a cliff and trying to get over to the other side, they copuld make you low on force mana or put it near the beginning of the game, you could chop off an approaching AT-ST's leg and he topples over and then you get to walk over and kill them :D

Oh yeh and there's a possibility that the AT-ST jsut falls right down into the sea and blos pup. then they would give yo usome mana for force jump :)

I read in one of the previews that you should be able to cut through some doors and walls...but not all of them. It actually shows Kyle cutting through a wall section with the saber in the PC Gamer UK video, so it will definitely be in there. As X-Vector said...there's no GeoMod in this game. You should be able to interact with some things like cutting poles, etc., but I doubt that you can slice and dice every box or piece of furniture in a level.

Not being able to cut through some doors would actually make sense if they are magnetically shielded - like the door to the Trash Compactor in ANH. In a similar vein, some walls would be so thick that it would be impractical to cut through them anyway. If they can have the same number of destructible elements as RTCW, I'll be happy with that.

But I think proper real-time saber-slicing in the GeoMod style may have to wait for JKIII...and a different or very radically modified game engine. *hint* *hint* :)

Lol, but that would mean that the extra lazy/unadventurous playrers would spends half an hour cutting through a thick wall that's next to a thick magnetically shielded door that needs a key to open. (altough I'm pretty sure that a small army of stormtroopers will be waiting on the other side than since that it will probably show that their end of the wall is starting to glow red and that a humming saber noise can be heard)

I don't get why they just don't put in the geo mod from red faction? It would make this game so much more fun. I mean, who wants to see a thin metal door infront of them, but the only way to open it is a key hidden in some security room? I mean, this is star wars, you'd think Raven would add a saber cutting feature.

Rather simple, it would make everything alot less adventurous.. you'd basically slice every door out of the wall or slash your way through a wall and not even bother to go exploring/adventuring to go find the key needed to open it. Wouldn't make the game much of a challenge now it? So basicaly "Oh look, a locked door, ah what the heck I'll slice my way through it" instead of"hmm.. a locked door.. I'd better go on a challenging quest to go find the key. " (and also.. the really cowardly bakas would just tunnel their way through everything just to avoid getting into any conflicts with stormtroopers and such)

Welcome, GCrusher23. Enjoy your stay. :)

*hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion*

Actually...have you played Red Faction? If you have...you should notice that most of the doors are actually indestructable. It is only the walls you can turn into Swiss Cheese...and then only when they let you. :(

The GeoMod, while a good idea, was not used nearly enough in that game.

I believe there would also be issues about using that tech...considering they had their own game engine, and the direct implementation of GeoMod would require licensing, etc.

That is why I suggested a radical modification...or a different engine entirely...to be able to undertake the level of environmental interaction we would all be hoping for. ;)

They can't. It's not like you can just put a function into a game. I am a programmer and a modeler for games, and the thing is, games are LIMITED by their engines. If the engine doesn't support geo-mod, then you can't use it. you can't just put it in there. only thing to do is to HEAVILY modify the quake 3 engine, but it'd be simpler just to make your own engine because of all the changes you'd have to make in the code.

Thanks

MrRelish...yeah, I'm not making clear posts tonight. That was what I meant about them using their own engine... I didn't think it was possible using Q3A or it's variants...without serious modification to the engine... ;)

Welcome to the forums, BTW... Here...

*hands over a Jedi Medallion Cookie*

I heard you don't like chocolate. ;)

Archived