JackTheGaffer

Would you buy JK2 Action figures?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy JK2 Action figures?

• Yes, I would buy them.
    • No, dolls are for girls.

Originally posted by JackTheGaffer

So???

Bit childish in my opinion, but I don't expect I'd be adverse to a Kyle Katarn sitting on top of my monitor!!

I'd only buy Kyle though, otherwise it's just too Manga-ish like Metal Gear Solid (my opinion, not bait to start an argument with).

Actually, I've changed my mind, I don't think they should!!

To action figure collectors they are worth money....a lot of guys

i know buy not play them...they don't even open the package

...so i think its not childish to buy action figures no matter what age u are...it a hobby!!!!;)

Qel

Guest Krayt Tion

I might buy one or two of them. I would have loved to get my hands of some of the EU POTF 3.75 " figures, which included Kyle Katarn and best of all the Dark Trooper.

Now you can only find them for EBAY prices, and I'm not willing to pay those for an action figure. Before Obi-Wan was released I had a 3.75 " POTF epi I Obi-Wan on top of my monitor. After what happened you can bet Mr. Juan was lucky he didn't get the GI JOE destruction treatment popular amongst my 80s action figures. :evil2:

Yeah, I'd probably buy them...for my two sons. ;)

They both love Star Wars already (they're aged 2 and 4.5 years), and my older son has already played through half of Dark Forces (on Easy), and has some of the 12" TPM talking figures (though the younger one plays with them more :D ).

I probably wouldn't collect them, though, even if they were worth money down the line. I collect too much other stuff already. ;)

My two boys got me a 3.5" ObiWan for Christmas (they are 5.5 and just 4) ... so they might. They know about Kyle Katarn, and even pretend to be him every now and then ... they love the movies (we let them see Ep 1 and IV, V and VI are a bit much for them as yet) and stories (I have read them the first few Jedi Apprentice stories). They will likely see EpII in may ... but I'm not sure they'll ever see much of JK2 - my wife doesn't want me showing them the trailers :(

Qel:

To action figure collectors they are worth money....a lot of guys

i know buy not play them...they don't even open the package

...so i think its not childish to buy action figures no matter what age u are...it a hobby!!!!!

Ermm... how do I cut through this politely...

No it's not really a hobby. Unless you are a 30 year old man living with his mother and can't get a real job, while his only efforts to do at home is to collect toys in a hope that they actually would be worth something more in another 30 years away. Especially the excessive type of people who think that this will support them properly throughout their sad, sad, sad lives. It's time to be practical - you can get them for your kids (Storm ;) you must be one heck of a father) you can even get them just for the fact that some might be cool. But seriously NOT for some shenanigans such as actually bothering to 'collect' toy models on the pretense that they willl become a good source of income later on in life...

Now on the other hand, if you collect them for possible 'quick cash' and you have a normal and a good situation at home/with your work. Then by all means - go ahead, but please try to keep some distance between the fine line of normal and hopeless.

Cheerios ;)

Yeah, I would buy a couple. Definitely a Kyle. No, I wouldn't play with them. No, I wouldn't 'collect' them hoping that they'll be worth something some day. No, I wouldn't leave them in the box. Star Wars action figures just look really cool sitting on my desk at work!

Originally posted by AB_Legion

Qel:

No it's not really a hobby. Unless you are a 30 year old man living with his mother and can't get a real job, while his only efforts to do at home is to collect toys in a hope that they actually would be worth something more in another 30 years away. Especially the excessive type of people who think that this will support them properly throughout their sad, sad, sad lives. It's time to be practical - you can get them for your kids (Storm ;) you must be one heck of a father) you can even get them just for the fact that some might be cool. But seriously NOT for some shenanigans such as actually bothering to 'collect' toy models on the pretense that they willl become a good source of income later on in life...

Now on the other hand, if you collect them for possible 'quick cash' and you have a normal and a good situation at home/with your work. Then by all means - go ahead, but please try to keep some distance between the fine line of normal and hopeless.

Cheerios ;)

Well said!

Does anybody ever read thru the messages anymore......I said

it was a HOBBY...not a livelihood.

You know HOBBY like collecting stamps, coins, comic books,

blah blaah...:p

Well then again, I've had people who say playing computer games is childish and a waste of time....:D

Qel

Guest Krayt Tion

I'm surprised age really has to be an issue in this. I look at it like many other things- if someone finds joy in it and it they aren't seriously harming anyone else by doing it, why bash them for it? Waste of my energy.

Those older "collectors" who push kids into the pavement to be the first to in line to grab the Half-Circle Boba Fett, however- they just make me kind of sad.

Originally posted by Krayt Tion

Those older "collectors" who push kids into the pavement to be the first to in line to grab the Half-Circle Boba Fett, however- they just make me kind of sad.

Well i think thats extreme too!!!!;)

Qel

Originally posted by AB_Legion

Qel:

Cheerios ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just say something allong the lines of "Nobody but losers collects them, but if you aren't a loser you can collect them"?

Serriously, a hobby can be whatever you want it to be. I've almost made a hobby of collecting odd factoids about ants. Heck, any factoids. (Ohhh!! I sense a new sig comming on.) So if someone wants to collect action figures and hope that they're worth something someday, I say "fine!". Now if they were seriously doing only that to support themselves, it probably wouldn't last long, and if it did, more power to them. But I don't think that was the implication. Only that they may someday be worth something, and collecting them is fun anyway.

StarScrap:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just say something allong the lines of "Nobody but losers collects them, but if you aren't a loser you can collect them"?

Serriously, a hobby can be whatever you want it to be. I've almost made a hobby of collecting odd factoids about ants. Heck, any factoids. (Ohhh!! I sense a new sig comming on.) So if someone wants to collect action figures and hope that they're worth something someday, I say "fine!". Now if they were seriously doing only that to support themselves, it probably wouldn't last long, and if it did, more power to them. But I don't think that was the implication. Only that they may someday be worth something, and collecting them is fun anyway.

Okay, lets adress the first question shall we?

"Nobody but losers collects them, but if you aren't a loser you can collect them"?

There is nothing wrong with collecting things, in this situation it's toys and to be more specific - JK2 Action Figures.

The main point is in what way you are collecting these toys for. Pending upon your present position in regards to, funds, status, time and interests there is the possibility that you are in a decent enough environment for the HOBBY as you call it, to be pursuited. To explain further, if you have the intention of raising a good ammount of money with the collection of toys you can, but not to the extent of making it your livings worth.

Your other 'pushing my buttons' type of question intrigued me.

Serriously, a hobby can be whatever you want it to be.

When did I say a hobby cannot be inspired by anything? Sure you could nearly make everything a hobby, but where would the point be? This is just another factor of being practical, there are stop points for people where different hobbies can be draining on ones cash resources and result in being a decrease of that very persons hope. (and whatever remains of sanity was left)

Now the last issue to be dealt with.

Only that they may someday be worth something, and collecting them is fun anyway.

Fun wasn't included part of the factor, but since you 'felt like' making an addition to the subject I will answer it for you.

Fun - yes there are many degrees of fun. Yet when a person reaches a certain age group (or mental platform.. whichever first) that registers as a time to stop. A 5 year old can collect many things, actually most children do. Yet when someone at a matured age (or at least should be) that person realizes there are other things to get that brain of his more engaged and to bring him to the level of proper understanding. It's not a very esteemed or proper to have Darth Maul's sitting around on top of your Tv, lurking on the kitchen counter, etc... Little children have that certain right to have that manner of "fun", not when comparing that behavior to a person who doesn't require aid from his parents in the bathroom anymore.

Remember there is always a limit of action and time/circumstance for all things. Some people understand that and others havn't realized that yet and continue to keep pace with the same child in them untill thier last days...

Cheers ;)

I would get Kyle if they made one better than this with a lightsaber. Now me, I may be 24, but I'd still get an action figure the same way people buy statues; something to look at that stays in one place. I have the episode 1 Obi-Wan, Darth Maul, and Qui-Gon figures, but don't play with them. I am thinking about getting this version of Qui-Gon since he looks a lot cooler than the standard Jedi outfit. I hope Raven makes a similar skin/model for multiplayer.

Seriously though, I wish that the idea of getting a few action figures at any age wasn't seem as something silly.:rolleyes:

Archived