Home

Wife said we need new video card...sweet, now which one

GUNNER

We are looking to get a video card so we can hook up our cam corder to the PC. We talked to the place where we got the camera, it's a JVC, and he said you can hook up the camera to a video card that has firewire or a DVI. So I automaticly though... Geforce 3 Ti200. :)

Then she called circut city and he told her get a Radeon All-in-wonder 7500.. :( I thought, no way, not in my PC..

Any way, can the Geforce do what we want or do we need a Readeon?

I see geforce cards with VGA, TV/S-video and DVI Isn't that what we need?

I'm not so familiar with the GeForce 3s, but if it has a DVI connector, that doesn't necessarily mean that it has a DVI input - just an output for a flat-panel display...

I'm certain of the All-In-Wonder cards' support for camcorders, and expect that nVidia have a similar thing, but I know nothing of it :(

Go here to see the 7500 AIW product page, and here to see the 8500DV (All In Wonder) prod. page.

The 8500DV page has a link to a comparison between itself and the nVidia Personal Cinema (whatever that may be...) which may or may not be of use.

ATi have a help page for getting your camcorder connected to the 7500 AIW here, and one for the 8500DV here.

The choice is yours, but I would recommend going with an All-in-Wonder card... but do some research, and check some reviews (I'll find some links if you like) to see what's best for you...

Sorry I can't help further - video hardware inter-connectivity is not my forté :D

Originally posted by GUNNER

So an AIW is what we need?

I couldn't say - there are other options, but of them I know nothing :)

If we have to get an AIW then it goes in her machine. :)

:lol:

You really don't like ATi, do you?

[...] are these cards good for gaming...

Good, yes, but not the best.

The 8500DV is essentially a slightly slower clocked 8500 (250MHz versus 275MHz) with lots of bells and whistles :) (There may also be a difference in the type of RAM used, but I'm not at all sure about that)

No Wacky, I'm not partial to any hardware. I just don't know enough about it. not like I know anything about the GF either though.:D

If I saw an 8500 for a good price I would buy it. but I don't want a AIW in my machine if it's no better then my Geforce 2 GTS. my GTS may be older but it still gets me 100FPS in CS and that's good enough for me..

I just thought if I could get a GF3 to do the same thing as an AIW then that would be a great deal....

I did read at anandtech where, like you said, an AIW 8500 is the same as a 8500LE just with a slower clock speed. but the 8500 is like $299 where as the 7500 is $199. I also figured a Ti200 was only 140-150 but it looks like only the Ti500 hasall the outputs on it.

Personally I will avoid all radeons in the future. I have had only bad experiences from them.

Back in the day I had one of those ATI Rage Fury pro or whatevers, you know one of those 8mb cards. Well anyway, it sucked fat @$$. Then recently I bought a new computer and the Radeon 32mb DDR came with it, and it was horrible, and thats being kind. A few years ago I also had an NVidia Riva TNT 16mb card, and it was top notch when I had it. I had VERY FEW problems with it when I used it. I recently purchased a Geforce3 ti200 and I have NO problems with anything it does. It runs all the games that I have fast, stable and without glitches.

What this means?

I will never purchase an ATI product again unless I start hearing VERY VERY good things about them. It seems to me that NVidia just puts out superior products in general, and the trend hasnt changed in the past few years.

Have you checked into what the new Geforce4 cards will have in terms of what you need. I havent looked at them too closely, but maybe there's something there that will suit your needs better than the Radeon. For your sake, I certainly hope so.

I have never had a Radeon so I guess I shouldn't speak. I did notice though that my new SB audigy gamer sound card has this.

*Sound Blaster Audigy solutions are fully-integrated with SB1394. SB1394 embraces the IEEE® 1394 standard for connection to popular devices (such as digital video camcorders and other high-speed external devices) and for superior, low-latency, peer-to-peer, PC networking with as many as 63 different PCs. With its transfer rate of up to 400Mbps, SB1394 functions as much as 30 times faster than USB, making it perfect for easy transfer of large files.*

the salesmen mentioned firewire and my SC has it, I wonder if that will work....

Maybe she wil so amazed that I saved us 200 bills she will let me get the Ti200 anyway.

:rolleyes:

Umm...

AFAIK, no soundcard in existence can process video data and encode it into an editable form... but like I said, I know very little about camcorder connectivity etc., so don't take that as gospel - I'm just applying what little I do know to the situation :D

ATi certainly used to have crap drivers, but they've come a very long way since then - especially with the 8500 series :)

Originally posted by GUNNER

We are looking to get a video card so we can hook up our cam corder to the PC. We talked to the place where we got the camera, it's a JVC, and he said you can hook up the camera to a video card that has firewire or a DVI. So I automaticly though... Geforce 3 Ti200. :)

Then she called circut city and he told her get a Radeon All-in-wonder 7500.. :( I thought, no way, not in my PC..

Any way, can the Geforce do what we want or do we need a Readeon?

I see geforce cards with VGA, TV/S-video and DVI Isn't that what we need?

Gunner, the ATI Radeon 8500 is the best card for the price but you can get a GF card with the same features as ATI has. If you go to Pricewatch.com, they have the best prices listed to buy computer hardware anywhere (IMHO anyway). If you can afford the top of the line GeForce 4 card (provided you can find one) they are the fastest vid card available. The fastest GF4 Ti is up to 50% faster than the GF3 Ti500! I think the top 3 GF4 cards that I've read about is the GF4 Ti4200, the Ti 4600 and one more that I can't remember. Those are just the top of the line GF4 cards. Stay away from the GF4 MX because it has less power than a GF3. A very good review can be found a Anandtech and lists most of the GF4 Ti line and is specific about it's features and performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1583

Get a GeForce 3 Ti500 and a FireWire PCI card... and you're set!

Use the Force Gunner!

Ps. FireWire is like USB, it's just a connection. From that connection it sends the digital signal to your video card. So a FireWire port on your soundcard just sends the video info to your video card. Doesn't have anything to do with the soundcard.

Archived