Home

CD in Drive to play MP?????

Saient

Let me just check here - you want to have 2 players playing on your home network, but only buy one copy? 2 users on 1 license? How is that different than me letting a friend install it and me still using it?

Perhaps I've not been adequately enlightened by the Napster era, but I find there to be some difference in the 'fair use' interpretation of me recording CD's for use in my iPod or to keep as CD-R backups for when (not if) my kids scrub the originals, versus recording a new CD I bought onto a CD-R to send to a friend to enjoy, versus recording a CD to post on my system for sharing. Similarly, I used the JK 'no CD' trick, and a MotS 'no CD crack', as I was playing them on a Toshiba Portege - no CD drive! That is different than using it to work around buying a copy.

Sorry ... off the soapbox ... as someone who does light development at my company and music as a hobby, I appreciate the effort to write code / make music, and as a scientist I also appreciate the value of intellectual property protection. While as someone who cycles computers frequently I'm opposed to the strong-arm tactics of tying software to machines, I also believe that a sensible '1 copy per concurrent user' mentality is fair.

So ... if you plan to use 2 copies at once - buy 2 copies.

txa1265: I appreciate the time and effort it takes to write code etc, but I'm not about to go out and buy 2 copies of the same game for the same family. I, too, have a home lan and hope to play JK2 on it (not bloody likely... the other comps a p200mmx :( ) and am not about to spend $200 just so I can play over lan with someone living in the same house as me.

The same deal goes with LAN parties. I believe in full sharing of games at lan parties, because, although it is illegal, most of these are games that you wouldn't consider buying in the first place - and only install to play with your friends. Now, if theres a game at this lan that you actually DO want, but haven't got around to buying, piracy in this form IS wrong. I only believe it is safe to pirate games you wouldn't buy in the first place, so they wouldn't get your money either way, and you still have a good time with your freinds.

Peace.

Originally posted by txa1265

Let me just check here - you want to have 2 players playing on your home network, but only buy one copy? 2 users on 1 license? How is that different than me letting a friend install it and me still using it?

Perhaps I've not been adequately enlightened by the Napster era, but I find there to be some difference in the 'fair use' interpretation of me recording CD's for use in my iPod or to keep as CD-R backups for when (not if) my kids scrub the originals, versus recording a new CD I bought onto a CD-R to send to a friend to enjoy, versus recording a CD to post on my system for sharing. Similarly, I used the JK 'no CD' trick, and a MotS 'no CD crack', as I was playing them on a Toshiba Portege - no CD drive! That is different than using it to work around buying a copy.

Sorry ... off the soapbox ... as someone who does light development at my company and music as a hobby, I appreciate the effort to write code / make music, and as a scientist I also appreciate the value of intellectual property protection. While as someone who cycles computers frequently I'm opposed to the strong-arm tactics of tying software to machines, I also believe that a sensible '1 copy per concurrent user' mentality is fair.

So ... if you plan to use 2 copies at once - buy 2 copies.

Hate to tell you but your misinformed on this subject.

When you buy a game, you buy a liscense to that game. Unless stated, you can use it as many times as you want in your household. It is illegal if it is used by anyone besides you outside of your home. You have unlimited copies to distribute throughout your house as you wish but it is not allowed to take your copies of the game out of your house so someone else can use.

How do you think businesses save money with software? They buy one copy, usually a business edition, and distribute it throughout their network.

Its perfectly legal to distribute the game among your LAN. And if LucasArts had said that you couldn't distribute the software among your LAN, you can be assured there was some news about it.

Need for Speed 3 (and others ?) had the system where you could install server version on one machine, then client only versions on other machines on LAN, so i guess they accepted it as legal.. and i distinctly remember sending e-mail about hmm.. might have been Unreal Tournament to support e-mail and they said that if i only use the game on computers in my own home, i shouldnt need to buy another copy to use it on all of my ciomputers (2).. i guess they were just being fair (im not sure its totally legal), but if i was software developer, i would probably feel i was being robbed.. oh well

Desslock,

You're mostly right but not totally. The license agreement for any piece of software depends on the software, the company and the situation. Some software can be used by one person on as many machines as they like but other software can only be used by one person on one machine.

Companies often buy multi-user licenses, but this also depends on the nature of the software and the company they are buying it from (e.g. IBM and Microsoft have radically different license agreements.) Even this isn't set - the same bit of software from the same company can have multiple licenses depending on the target audience for the software and it's expected use. (e.g. Lotus Domino servers)

When Lucasarts released JK and XvT, you could use the game as long as there was a CD in the machine. For a personal LAN, that meant you could use it on two machines (because there were two discs, natch.) If you wanted to add any more then you needed to have more copies.

So far, Q3 engine games (like EF and, I believe, RTCW), you need to enter a code to unlock the engine. I think the same will happen for JO. I don't know whether you'll need the CD for MP though - only time will tell.

The reason for all this license confusion? IMO - to keep the lawyers busy! ;)

Dragon - currently trying to sort out licensing issues for a company web server!

Originally posted by Broode

txa1265: I appreciate the time and effort it takes to write code etc, but I'm not about to go out and buy 2 copies of the same game for the same family. I, too, have a home lan and hope to play JK2 on it (not bloody likely... the other comps a p200mmx :( ) and am not about to spend $200 just so I can play over lan with someone living in the same house as me.

The same deal goes with LAN parties. I believe in full sharing of games at lan parties, because, although it is illegal, most of these are games that you wouldn't consider buying in the first place - and only install to play with your friends. Now, if theres a game at this lan that you actually DO want, but haven't got around to buying, piracy in this form IS wrong. I only believe it is safe to pirate games you wouldn't buy in the first place, so they wouldn't get your money either way, and you still have a good time with your freinds.

Peace.

Isn't that like saying stealing food you don't really like is OK ... or stealing a car you wouldn't buy is OK ... but steal something you DO like and it is wrong?

I fully support installing software on multiple machines with the intent of a *single user at any time*. I also support sharing games with friends - that was how I got my first taste of Half-Life and Elite Force, and my friend got a look at Thief and UT. But that is like sharing CD's - when they use it you do not.

Mike

Exactly. Playing with a crack or copying the game for LAN play will be no tougher for JK2 than any other Q3 engine based game, as far as we know.

Copying software isn't the same as stealing a car, because when you steal a car, the car is GONE, whereas copying the software means you have an exact copy in your possession, and that one on the shelf or in your friend's possession still exists. Companies are against copying because in theory, if you can just copy a game or program or CD for free, you won't buy it in the store. With these types of games, it's still illegal to copy, but you have the added incentive of getting true internet play when you purchase (rather than just single player and LAN play).

:eek:

Man! Can't believe you're encouraging that sort of behaviour in this forum. Especially this forum that's frequented by the guys at Raven who I'm *sure* will have very, very different takes on copying/cracking etc. their game.

And no, I'm not going to get involved in any discussions about the morality of it all.

Dragon - bowing out on this one!

unless your poor you really should buy this game, I haven't bought a game in 2 years, I have downloaded over 30 pirated games, so I myself have ripped off the companies a lot but then again I never really played those games, for games that you KNOW you will play for a while, few months or so, you really really should go ahead and buy it, just to support the company, plus raven has been dishing out so many good fps's they deserve tha dolla's

Originally posted by jedialphaknight

unless your poor you really should buy this game, I haven't bought a game in 2 years, I have downloaded over 30 pirated games, so I myself have ripped off the companies a lot but then again I never really played those games, for games that you KNOW you will play for a while, few months or so, you really really should go ahead and buy it, just to support the company, plus raven has been dishing out so many good fps's they deserve tha dolla's

THAT is why I like demos that are worth something. Unlike RtCW which I knew I HAD to play, I had heard good things about MoH:AA but am not really a WWII game person. However, the demo was REALLY cool, so I bought the game, and enjoyed it immensely.

When you can get older games for $20, havign a demo isn't quite as important as it is already established what the game is like. But for new games, at $50 each, as yet unproven, a demo can make a difference for all but the drooling lunatic fanatics (like me) at places like this ... ;)

Originally posted by Kurgan

Exactly. Playing with a crack or copying the game for LAN play will be no tougher for JK2 than any other Q3 engine based game, as far as we know.

Copying software isn't the same as stealing a car, because when you steal a car, the car is GONE, whereas copying the software means you have an exact copy in your possession, and that one on the shelf or in your friend's possession still exists. Companies are against copying because in theory, if you can just copy a game or program or CD for free, you won't buy it in the store. With these types of games, it's still illegal to copy, but you have the added incentive of getting true internet play when you purchase (rather than just single player and LAN play).

... the last thing we need is a discussion of 'real' property vs. 'virtual' property and the applicable rights of owners to protect such property types ...

I just always encourage people to take the most conservative view possible of someone else's property, physical or virtual. Like so many other things, these 'little' details can bite you later in life. I was unable to hire a really great college grad some years ago because his views on the harm of an occasional joint failed to meet up with our policy on hiring people who failed our drug screening ... Likewise our IT group works hard to keep the licenses reconciled while doing LAN distribution of software ...

Archived