Home

Heeeeeeelp Meeeeee!

Darth_Rommel

Which is these graphics cards is the overall best? COnsider quality, price, availablity, etc...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I need something that'll let me run JO/B&W:

Graphics Card:16 MB OpenGL compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator required.

These are the cards that JO "supports":

3D Accelerator Card Required

A 100% OpenGL compatible 3D Accelerator is required. Supported chipsets at time of release.

ATI Radeon

ATI Radeon 7500/8500

ATI Rage 128

ATI Rage 128 Pro

Matrox G400

Matrox G450

Matrox G550

NVIDIA GeForce 256 family

NVIDIA GeForce 2 family

NVIDIA GeForce 3 family

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 family

PowerVR Kyro

PowerVR Kyro II

So, which one? :confused:

Originally posted by darthfergie

GeForce3 family or ATI Radeon 8500...

Fergie, I need more information. Are these the cheapest? The most high quality? Please state WHY you selected those two. Remember, I'm not made of money... I need something fairly cheap.

Okay if your looking for something cheap then get a GeForce3 Ti200. Their price has dropped a bit and are good cards.

You know I'm mad though. When I got my comp I thought I got a GeForce2...seems as though I've got a ATI card with 16 mb on it. SUCKS!!! I can barely do anything on JO!!! (adds Graphics card to list of upgrades needed)

Originally posted by Rogue15

What would be a good PCI video card to invest in? (any price is acceptable cuz I plan to upgrade after i move and get a job)

You'd be wanting one of the very early GeForce 2 MX PCI's (£50/$65) or a 16MB ATI Xpert@Play (£30/$40) sir. GeForce is better obviously.

:)

Originally posted by Darth_Rommel

Which is these graphics cards is the overall best? COnsider quality, price, availablity, etc...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I need something that'll let me run JO/B&W:

Graphics Card:16 MB OpenGL compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator required.

These are the cards that JO "supports":

3D Accelerator Card Required

A 100% OpenGL compatible 3D Accelerator is required. Supported chipsets at time of release.

ATI Radeon

ATI Radeon 7500/8500

ATI Rage 128

ATI Rage 128 Pro

Matrox G400

Matrox G450

Matrox G550

NVIDIA GeForce 256 family

NVIDIA GeForce 2 family

NVIDIA GeForce 3 family

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 family

PowerVR Kyro

PowerVR Kyro II

So, which one? :confused:

Don't touch Matrox, they do not make game orientated cards but do have excellent 2D clarity (good for desktop work etc). ATi's lower range card, the xperts and 128's are really the default OEM cards that manufacturers throw in low-end PC's, don't use them if you even consider playing games. Some of them wont also run D3D and OpenGL.

The Kyro's run on a tile rendering process which isn't natively supported by D3D and the technology (although alright) is 2 years old now and really not your best bet unless your on tight budget (and have a slow CPU sub-800MHz).

If you are on a budget the ATi Radeon 7500 is an exceptional card that will set you back around £150/$150-200 and offers better performance then the older GeForce2's for both OpenGL and D3D apps. The 2nd 'budget' card would be the GeForce 3 Ti200 which has marginal performance gains over the other budget cards but costs more.

Hi-end cards, just the 2. Radeon 8500 or GF3 Ti500, both cards knock over the £200/$250-300 mark and are the current peformance champions, theres not much in them. ATi have previously had dodgy drivers but they are getting better and performance gains are going up with each revision, nVidia pumps out drivers everyother week (or atleast it feels that way!) which also show gains (mostly) with their high-end kit. Out of these two, if you want sheer brute force and ignorance go for the GF3, if you want the extras go for the ATi, both will overclock well to.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Eets'chula

What would my "16MB Nvidia RIVA TNT" graphics card do for JO?

Erh, seriously? You might get away will low detail 640x480 16bit... but it wont be quick. Lets use a benchmark shall we. :)

This is a ROUGH guide ppl on a 1GHz, 256MB system.

GeForceMX 32MB Q3 1024x768 16bit max detail - 94 FPS

nVidia TNT2ULTRA 32MB Q3 1024x768 16bit max detail - 38 FPS

nVidia TNTm64 32MB Q3 1024x768 16bit max detail - 19 FPS

nVidia TNT 16MB Q3 1024x768 16bit max detail - FAIL

The JO engine is more advanced than the Q3 and therefore needs more processing power (CPU and AGP/Graphics) so you will struggle like hell with you card which is very out of date now.

Originally posted by Eets'chula

What would my "16MB Nvidia RIVA TNT" graphics card do for JO?

That is the exact card i have Eets, and i have JO.

I run it on low to medium settings and it runs very smoothly most of the time and still looks pretty good. Of course, it is still really fun.

I suggest you buy JO if you haven't already.

.. Or you can do what I did which is invest in a new computer alltogether.. Except I had the peice of mind to do this a few months before JO came out and now I have a spiffy new comp which can run JO on high detail pretty damned smoothly

Rommel your 768 MHZ comp is more than enough to run JO.. You'll probably need a 64 mb Graphics card though just to be on the safe side.

hey rommel, send me 40 bucks and I will send you a ati xpert rage 128! it is worth 50 bucks, BTW. I can't use it because it isn't bi directional. Are any of those bi-directional?

edit: won't be till the summer I actually get JO or a new video card, unless my parents get nice :(

Archived