Home

What is a bi directional video card?

Heavyarms

heavyarms, I was thinking last night, and now i think there *could* be a way....to shut off that one vid card....have you tried looking in CMOS yet? I think we have the same type of computer, so if you get help, I get help too. :D CMOS is F2 at startup i believe....don't mess with anything before writing down what you're going to change though. Don't want to see your computer get cooked.... :-/

I've done this before with a computer with a onboard video card, so listen closely:

First, install the new card, both physically and software wise

next, go into the control panel and go into "system"

goto video drivers and disable the old card in all profiles

Reboot

If there is still a problem, then go into the BIOS and disable it, but you shouldn't have to.

Heavyarms, what Operating System are you running? I need to know that first.

Afetr Installing the new card:

1. In the Control Panel, double click the "System" icon

2. then select the "Device Manager" tab.

3. Look down the list for "Display Adapters". There should at least be TWO different Adapters displayed there, the old On-baord video driver, and the new card you just installed. Select the old on-board video adapter and then click on the "properties" button.(You may have to right click on the Display adapter to bring up the menu to select "properties" from)

4. I'm at work right now, and I don't have Admin rights on my comp, so this next part is from memory, On one of the tabs at the top of the Display Adapter Properties window, either "General", "Driver" or "Resources" (I believe it's "General" though) There should be a check box that you can select, that says "Disable in all hardware Profiles" Check that box.

5. Hit "OK"

6. You should be prompted to reboot, if not reboot the computer anyways.

7. Your monitor and system should now be routed through the New Video card and drivers only. (You'll have to Move your Monitor cable to your new video card VGA out before rebooting)

8. If this doesn't work, then you will have to play around in your CMOS (BIOS), which will be alot more "Dangerous" to the stability of your computer, but can be done.

Hope that helps...

Originally posted by Rogue15

Havoc, do u mean the option that is checked that says

'exists in all hardware profiles'? is that the one he's supposed to 'uncheck'?

No, though I would uncheck that as well, but there is also an option to disable a display adapter, but Like I said I'm at work right now, so I don't have the admin rights to place exactly where that option is at.

Heavyarms, I will be around at three or so, chsk back around then, also, what Operating System are you using?

The Problem With the "remove" option is that you can't physically remove his old on-board video card so as soon as you reboot the computer Windows Will detect the "new" card and reinstall the drivers again for the On-board video, that will get you nowhere quick, that's why you have to keep the card drivers installed, but just disable it.

The more I think about it though, (this was over a year ago I did this, and it was a friends computer, not my own) that "enable in all Hardware profiles" checkbox might be it, but I swear there is a way to disable it so that it appears on the device manager list with a Ø over top of the display adapter's icon symbolizing it being disabled but still installed.

Okay, Got it! Had a chat With our Resident Tech here at work.

You must have multiple Display adapters installed before Windows will allow you to disable one, But as soon as you install the new Video card there will be another box above the "Enable in all Hardware Profiles" box that will say "Disable this device" That is what you check off (On your On-board card of course, not the new one) From there on Windows will use the new card and drivers exclusively for all programs etc. I knew I was right! ;)

Archived