Home

Klorel's Mace Windu in progress

Klorel

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"this party's over" was going to be the taunt from the beginning. I mean, if my mace was gonna absolutely positively kill every motha-f$&%# in the room, "this party's over" is the taunt to use, except no substitute. Its from the trailer for TV, when all the background noise is absent, its crystal clear, and i even trimmed the front and back to optimize space, so all you hear is Mace saying "this party's over". should be good.

ANYWAYS, I am wondering if anyone knows how to bring the root.xsi into gmax... I'm having trouble with this, any suggestions? :mace:

have you got an xsi exporter for gmax?

You will need one. What formats are easily importable for gmax? I know theres a bunch of custom scripts for gmax - I would save a copy of the root.xsi for you if you find out what formats that you will be able to import. It has to be a format that will support the Max bone system - md3 is out of the question since it only saves the vert info. (That is why you can use any animation system you want to animate a model for quake 3)

Obviously jk2 is different and everything depends on you weighting your modelling to the skeletan.

ok, my .xsi EXPORTER for gmax won't load, i think it has something to do with the core.dll, not sure. I can IMPORT:

.3ds .prj .dxf .md3 .shp

.ai .ige .igs .iges .stl .wrz .wrl .wrz

but i'm guessing none of those will do. Is it possible to save the .xsi as a .gmax(cause i can open that)? I also have 3d Studio Max R3 if thats anyhelp.

by the way spacermonkey, i've used your tutorial so far, great job, its really helping - quick question on it though, where do i alter the LOD, is it in md3view? or do i have to do something in max. also when you apply the checkered texture, it appears in the edit uvw window on your screenshot, but not on my computer. thanks for all and any help

ok, well i have Max 3, that may be a problem with .xsi files and such. anyone have any suggestions? also, once i have done uv unwrap... what do i do to get my texture to a .tga or a .jpg? am i missing something here?

:confused:

assuming your talking about where the face meets the top of the head, it will look better in game, but thats why bald models aren't as common as hairy ones :wookiee: . it won't take away from the final coolness that is mace... 's'all good. :p

I *may* make him thicker, more worried about him fitting the skeleton properly at this point (if i ever get it imported :barf: ) also the uvw mapping part of the tutorial is a little confusing, so that will take some time too...any help is appreciated.

hey, wouldnt the line "waste the motha f%*($s" from rules of engagement be a good samuel L jackson quote... to bad he had to say the cool "party's over" line in ep. 2, that sure would have been a good taunt. i know i would be scared to fight him... :p

what my model should be: :deathstar: what my model is: :deathii:

what my model will be if no- one helps me figure out how to do this (my first model): :edeaths:

:holosid:~Help me obi-wan kenobi, your my only hope...

Ok, you UVW mappers out there. is it better to UVW map it in gmax or in 3D Studio Max, i have R3, and it seems there are more material options (a lot more) in Studio. also... when i save the UV unwrap its a .uvw file, is this supposed to be like this? will it change to a bunch of .tga's and .jpg's when i turn the model back into a .glm? ... which is another problem.... i can't export .xsi... or import for that matter. can anyone send me a .gmax and/or .max file with the .xsi skeleton in it? I guess i'd also need them to export the .gmax file when i'm done too so i can start skinning it. any help is appreciated.

:holosid: -help me obi-wan kenobi, your my only hope

i'm a perfectionist :rolleyes: so here is another modification... my last modification... to the model. His upper body is bigger and stronger, and his "shirt" poofs out more where it is tucked into his belt. I played with the jawline a bit, and fiddled with the lips. this is it, mace windu, now in pog form!!

macewindupreview10.txt

hope you like it :mace:

thanks. ok, here it goes...

It has come to my attention that JKII is designed to work with max R4.x.... and I have R 3.x SOOOOO..... i can't import or export .xsi files. therefore: i need help. If i email you the .md3, can someone (with experience) attach the skeleton and uvw map the model? then send it back to me with the .tga's and .jpgs for the skin so I can texture (skin) the model. I know this sounds easier than it really is, but unless I get some help here, my mace won't be slashing up any jango's anytime soon. Perhaps Absath or Bloodriot (not to bash on the jango, actually i think thats the best model i've seen, its up there with sithlord-II's vader (and the yoda and wookie when they are finished) could offer some help(not to volunteer you guys, just using you as an example because you put out quality work)? or maybe someone of similar experience.

also, mad props so far to spacermonkey, his tutorial is awesome and i think anyone with max R 4 should give it a good look. if it werent for my software limitations, that would be the only way i could ever attach the skeleton properly(i got as far as the hierarchy :( ) but couldn't load the skeleton)

the model has everything it needs, even the caps and segments, it should even fit the skeleton perfectly since i based it off of galak. so if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Well id be happy to load the skeleton for you and connect the bones. But I havent been able to get the weight working correctly yet. And im sure i wouldnt be able to uv map it well enough. But im pretty sure u can do all that in gmax. Only problem i can see is exporting the xsi. (cept maybe the uvmap which i havent really tried yet)

thanks for offering to help darthcobra. since i dont have max R 4.x, would it be possible for me to work on the .gmax once the bones have been imported by someone else?

maybe all i would need is for you to email me a .gmax file with the bones in it, i could then merge the scenes, and then i'd email you the end result to export once i've uvw mapped it and weighted the bones and such. my email is mirenner@vt.edu , and hopefully that will be enough to keep me going.

also, if my plan doesn't work as stated above, would someone please tell me of another way?

thanks for all and any help.

ok, heres the deal, the rest of the skeleton is inside the mesh.... except the hands. this is wierd because i didnt' modify the hands at all from the origional... so i dont see why this would happen. also the finger bones are bigger than the fingers anyway, so what do i do?

heres a pic: handproblem.txt

this skeleton deal is hard.... :rolleyes:

modeling and skinning are easy... its the in between stuff that makes it difficult(and by difficult i mean impossible)... i def. have a whole lotta respect for the guys who know how to do all this "skeleton" stuff...

:confused: -help me your name here , your my only hope

I would have to guess that you scaled it not exactly correct. Its kinda a pain. What i did was put the top of the head just below the neck before i scaled it. But it is very important to make sure all the bones are lined up to the mesh properly. So im guessing you imported a glm for alot of the model. Not that you would wanna restart but i wanted to note that the new glm importer keeps the uv maps so any unaltered mesh shouldnt need to be remaped.

I dont mean to be too harsh but as a 3d modeler (non game models so dont ask) and artist, I have to be highly critical.

1. Head is too big

2. Have you even LOOKED at the reference pictures???

3. The Vest and tabards are WAY too thin.

4. The vest should extend slightly past the shoulder, It is not a pair of suspenders pal. PAY ATTENTION to the reference pictures the other posters have provided!

5. Smooth things out some, especialy the sleeves.

and finally, 6. Taper the shoulder of the sleeves some more, The shoulder fits fairly close and THEN gradualy flares out as it estends to the wrist.

As for the general fact that I am being critical of a model I myself cant make, I am HIGHLY knowledgeable about Jedi "Uniforms" As I am into costuming.

Archived