Home

Klorel's Mace Windu in progress

Klorel

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the general fact that I am being critical of a model I myself cant make, I am HIGHLY knowledgeable about Jedi "Uniforms" As I am into costuming

he’s also a hair stylist, a therapist, a chiropractor, a biologist………

as for my Opinion:

i see nothing wrong with The Jedi Badass... but i cant FULLY tell untill you skin it

When you finally texture the model, one good idea would be to make a "Shaft" skin as a tribute to Samuel Jackson. It wouldnt be hard, just make a leather jacket and black underclothes. Another good idea would to make his taunt as "feel the force mutha *@$%@$":atat: remember, its just an idea.

ok. well... this first part will address DigitalVapors "suggestions"

1. Its already modeled, in the can, sealed... finito.

2. I do appreciate criticism...CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. and NO i didn't look at the reference pics, why would i go do something dumb like that!? :confused: . If theres anyone's figure i know off the top of my head better than my own its samuel l. jackson's.

3. Of course i looked at the reference pictures... I would be stupid not to. and when i finish modeling this and someone sabers you to death with him in a duel, the last thing you see will be samuel L. Jackson in jedi badass garb staring down at you uttering "this parties over". I think its pretty accurate.--he has a pretty big head in real life by the way, but what can i say, the ladies love him.

4. I can't obviously please everybody... I personally like the model. if you don't like it, feel free to make a mace model yourself more "tailored" to your grievences.

5. :mace:

to everone else -- sorry about this post, just addressing some issues.

ONWARD!

thanks for the support YoDa2k2 and everyone else. and vogtrob, good idea. But I think i'll leave the other Samuel L. Jackson characters to the rest of the community-- to add thier own flavor to my model. Can't wait to see what people do with the skins when he's done. And i'm pretty sure someone could clip together such a taunt using the many S.L.Jackson movie quotes from over the years. of course they would most likely all be inappropriate, but thats the fun and intimidation that is samuel l. jackson.

have a nice day :)

If you guys would look at the other posts on this thread from Klorel...he needs help UVW mapping, while spacermonkey's tutorial is really good it is Klorels first time UVW mapping and could use some help. While i dont know jack about UVW mapping i know many of you modelers out there do. other wise if no one speaks up, you wont be seeing a skinned Jedi Bad Ass :mad: any time soon. :(

:mace:

Model looks awsome... cant wait to saber people with him

Duct tape is like the force, it has a lightside and a darkside, and it holds the universe together.

Originally posted by Klorel

ok, heres the deal, the rest of the skeleton is inside the mesh.... except the hands. this is wierd because i didnt' modify the hands at all from the origional... so i dont see why this would happen. also the finger bones are bigger than the fingers anyway, so what do i do?

heres a pic: handproblem.txt ...

Just keeping this question alive in this tread because I kinda have the same problem and want to know the answer too.

I'm wondering also if you need all the bones in the hand. This since the hands are already in the position to hold a weapon which they'll be doing all the time.

Originally posted by DarthCobra

I would have to guess that you scaled it not exactly correct. Its kinda a pain. What i did was put the top of the head just below the neck before i scaled it. But it is very important to make sure all the bones are lined up to the mesh properly. So im guessing you imported a glm for alot of the model. Not that you would wanna restart but i wanted to note that the new glm importer keeps the uv maps so any unaltered mesh shouldnt need to be remaped.

If u dont have the hands and bones scaled and lined up properly you will have lots of deformation. And this is really the least of your problems .. wait till u get to the weighting...

AGAIN!! A PLEAD FOR HELP ON WEIGHTING!!!

So i guess i'll have to modify the vertices of each finger so the finger overlaps each respective finger bone then huh..... sounds fun. And this isn't even the hard part, i can't wait to see what wieghting and uvw mapping have to bring :rolleyes:

ok.... well still tinkering with the bone attachments and such. no picture updates.... dont think anyone cares about seeing a weighted grey head mesh. The tutorial said everything, even the tags have to be wieghted to a bone, is there more specifics on which tags to which bones? and should i uvw it before or after i weigh the skin? any help is appreciated.

ok, well the hand issue is solved, just selected each finger joing in my model one by one and moved them over the skeleton (not as fun as it sounds). I modified my model one last time, and then imported that into max. i'm gonna use the skeleton DarthCobra sent me for the model and perhaps he can export it for me when i'm done. I'm new at all this model>> game stuff, so any advice/thoughts on what i have so far is appreciated. I'm working on the uvw mapping right now, cause thats what spacermonkey's tutorial said to do first... so i am. heres a pic: macewindupreview11.txt anyways, any "professionals" wanna give thier input on it (i.e. distortion issues, will this be fine to skin and such)?

Well, as you have imagined, i too have a real life outside of the game, and dont get to spend as much time working on my projects as many of the people on these forums, so i'll work as fast as i can, but want to do a good job so i only have to do it once :p . wish me luck, personally i think the face is gonna prove to be easier than anything else to unwrap. and just wait till i get to weighting the bones.

2 issues though:

1- i shortened his neck: lowering the head, how will this effect the skeleton fitting properly within him? was this a bad thing? is there a way i can have him have a short neck without screwing up the skeleton locations..... just trying to be as accurate to sammy l. j. as possible.

2- the legs and hips are semetrical, i know there is a way I can just uv unwrap one half and have it semetrically texture the other half, anyone know exactly what that method is?

cool thanks, i'll give that a try. I'm assuming i can leave all the tags where they were right?, that way i wont have to rename anything. also, theres still the short samuel l. jackson neck issue... will this screw up the head tags? hope not. thanks for all and any help. :)

It's not the tags you have to worry about if you make your model a different proportion than the skeleton. You have to worry about how it will deform if it's different. You may just plain have to conform to the skeleton. But modeling isn't so much about being accurate. It's more about tricking the eye to THINK it's accurate. And most probably won't notice a slight difference in the shape of the neck, so don't get too attached to the idea.

I realize that you are already in the skinning phase but I just have to say that his head is huge! Take a look at some of the reference shots posted on this thread and you'll see what I mean. Aside from that, though, it's looking great!

Archived