Home

Best Saber Duels

Darth Seph

Best Saber Duel  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Best Saber Duel

• Yoda Vs Count Dooku (AOTC)
    • Luke Vs Darth Vader (ROTJ)
    • Obi-Wan & Qui-Con Jinn Vs Darth Maul (TPM)
    • Darth Vader Vs Obi-Wan (ANH)

My favorite isn't on the list, and I'm suprised. The duel in Empire gets my vote. Luke goes in thinking he's all big and tough because he trained with Yoda for a week and gets his ass handed to him in a major way. Not only does Vader physically defeats, but mentally puts him in a state of disarray.

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

Obi and Qui Gon vs Maul hands down. The actor that played Maul is a Master of Kendo in real life and it showed.

Yoda was cool, but looked like a chihuahua on a bad acid trip. LOL!

Really? Earlier there were some Kendo master who argued that Darth Maul would have gotten wrecked in real life, and that the fight was poorly done. I could somewhat see what they meant, but I thought it could be taken into account because they were Jedi.

Was the fight actually well done? Are you a proficient swordsman?

Well, if anyone is to blame for making him look bad it would be the director (lucas?). Also, my fav fight is in empire also. (Plus it has all the best quotes from vader!!! "All too easy." "Impressive, most impressive. "Don't make me destory you." and who could forget "Luke, I am the your father!)

That is too tough to choose. I will pick the duel between Obi and Darth Vader in ANH. That's the best duel simply do to the distinguishing factor that evil triumphs and the whole story behind it. Also, the whole strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine thing. It's just the best duel. I mean, what distinguishes the duel between Yoda in AOTC and Maul in Episode one? They are just pleasant to look at, nothing to distinguish them really. Sure seeing Yoda fight and seeing the dual saber in action are unique, but there has to be more to it than that. This is just my opinion. Please don't flame me for having one. :D

Originally posted by Vestril

Really? Earlier there were some Kendo master who argued that Darth Maul would have gotten wrecked in real life, and that the fight was poorly done. I could somewhat see what they meant, but I thought it could be taken into account because they were Jedi.

Was the fight actually well done? Are you a proficient swordsman?

It's obvious the fight wasn't realistic , but the fact Park is a martial artist showed in the way he moved and swang the sword around, that is i think what Darth Kan meant.

And before you start bitching about the movie not being realistic consider that Kendo isn't real either.

Playing with real swords is a totally different thing, and it's defenatly not entartaining to whatch.

Originally posted by Amused_to_Death

It's obvious the fight wasn't realistic , but the fact Park is a martial artist showed in the way he moved and swang the sword around, that is i think what Darth Kan meant.

And before you start bitching about the movie not being realistic consider that Kendo isn't real either.

Playing with real swords is a totally different thing, and it's defenatly not entartaining to whatch.

I wasn't bitching...I was asking if any people who were proficient with swords had a counter opinion to the ones I'd heard expressed before. I enjoyed those scenes...

sure the fighting in episode 1 was very flashy, but this isn't real life, this is star wars. i always thought kendo was with one sword, not a staff.. someone wanna enlighten me? Yoda's fight was cool to watch but it was sort of meaningless. he fights dooku, but dooku runs away.. the first time i watched it it was so fast i couln't see what kind of moves yoda was pulling.. the entertainment factor was extreme, but there was not as much meaning as ROTJ or ESB. just an opinion, no flaming plz :D

Vestril,

Yes I am a blackbelt in Kendo (1st degree). He (Maul) is a very accomplished Kendo Master in real life.

Associating Mauls technique in the movie with a sword is way off base though.

You see, he weilded the duel saber like a staff not a sword, for most of the fight. The side, hook and back kicks he used were very well performed and showed his balance, footwork and timing was excellent

But yeah, the fight sequence was choreographed (why Obi won and Qui Gon did not look totally foolish) to be flashy and exciting, which it was.

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

Vestril,

Yes I am a blackbelt in Kendo (1st degree). He (Maul) is a very accomplished Kendo Master in real life.

Associating Mauls technique in the movie with a sword is way off base though.

You see, he weilded the duel saber like a staff not a sword, for most of the fight. The side, hook and back kicks he used were very well performed and showed his balance, footwork and timing was excellent

But yeah, the fight sequence was choreographed (why Obi won and Qui Gon did not look totally foolish) to be flashy and exciting, which it was.

Ok, thanks, that seems to be the general consensus. Though someone did suggest that a sword was superior to a staff in terms of fighting, and I always had the impression that it was the other way around, that a person with a staff could generally defeat a person with a sword with little trouble. Mind you I'm not talking about star wars anymore, just real combat...

Once again I'd like to point out that I did enjoy that fight, I was just curious as to the realism of it.

my brother and I made dueling lightsabers out of PVC pipe and I use a double bladed and he uses a single blade. needless to say I kick his butt all the time. so now he has a friend come ove and they both try to take me on at the same time. I win again. so they start complaining so I go get my two single bladed lightsabers. they thought I wouldn't be able to handle two sabers with any control but they were of course wrong. had they been real sabers my brother and his friend would have no legs and arms right now :D . but to the original point of this thread... I voted for Yoda vs. Dooku because Yoda is just so cool. I was also surprised not to see Luke and Vader's ESB duel which is one of my favorites.:ewok::fett::jawa

Archived