6 members have voted

1. 1. What was the First Assault Rifle?

• USA-M16
    • Soviet Union-AK-47
    • Germany-MP40
    • USA-M1 Garand
    • Izrael-Uzi
    • Great Britain-L85 A1

the thompson and mp40(came out early WWII) are 9 mm submachine guns..........both are newer than the M1-Garand, which was used jnust before WWII, the first model was developed in 1929(I think). it started in service in 1936. The AK-47 was obviously designed in 1947(adopted to use in 1949), the M-16 was first issued even later than that just before Vietnam in the early 1960's. The Uzi is an Uzi, another 9mm Submachine gun, and was developed in the 70's I believe. The L85 was not brought into service until the mid 80's, but was designed in the early 70's for the new NATO 5.56 ammo.

:D

I love the history channel :)

Originally posted by Zargon

the thompson and mp40(came out early WWII) are 9 mm submachine guns..........both are newer than the M1-Garand, which was used jnust before WWII, the first model was developed in 1929(I think). it started in service in 1936. The AK-47 was obviously designed in 1947(adopted to use in 1949), the M-16 was first issued even later than that just before Vietnam in the early 1960's. The Uzi is an Uzi, another 9mm Submachine gun, and was developed in the 70's I believe. The L85 was not brought into service until the mid 80's, but was designed in the early 70's for the new NATO 5.56 ammo.

:D

I love the history channel :)

You are wrong about the M1 Garand.

It wasn't in full use until 1942, after the declaring of war.

We had more Springfields(?) at Pearl Harbor than M1s when the Japanese attacked.(Thats why you see some with M1s and others with Bolt-Action Rifles)

I'm still fuzzy on when it was first adopted. You might be right about that since we were making refridgerators instead of tanks right before WWII broke out.

Oh, and we were still using M1 Carbines and Garands when Nam broke out. A couple of years later we switched to the awkward and clumsy M14. Then later to the M16A1-The Crap model. Thank god for Colt Firearms(M16A2)! The M16 was originally designed by Eugene Stoner.

The M1 was adopted into general use before hand, they just didn't cyphine them out, especially to the navy...who is generally the last in line for firearms anyways.

The M-16 was adopted as the new rifle in 63, but it didnt get manufactured +distributed until much later

OICW owns you all, I can laser the wall you are behind add 1m to it, and fire a round over hte wall watch it exploded and sharnel all of your asses, it also has a built in nightvision, and fires 5.56 rounds exrremely accurate, 9mm are for panzies.......

Out of the 5(6 counting me) that voted No one got it right. You all ignored the AK-47 Automat Kalashinkov. Brought in in 1947 it was the first assault rifle ever made.

The MP40 is a SMG

The M1 Garand is a rifle but not an assault rifle.

The L85A1 is the latest weapon in the choices.

One point for paranoid Stalin.:D

Originally posted by K_Kinnison

Crazy germans should have jsut surrendered then instead of coming up with these weird ideas

Ever hear of a tank called the Panzermaus?

I think only two were ever produced and they were slow as hell. Apparantly the Germans got desperate toward the end of the war and used everything that came off the drawing board.

Main Entry: assault rifle

Function: noun

Date: 1975

: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles designed for military use with large capacity magazines

WOW, it looks like the AK-47 wasn't the first assault rifle, because there were plenty of guns that meet the definition that predate the AK-47.

Also, look when the word assault rifle became an actual word...

I know the REAL first assault rifle. It's at teh end of the post.

Since assault rifle is a fancy word for machine gun, then we must look up machine gun:

Main Entry: machine gun

Function: noun

Date: 1870

: a gun for sustained rapid fire that uses bullets; broadly : an automatic weapon

Now, where did machine gun come from? Gatling's gun!

Gatling's gun (later shortened to Gatling gun and eventually not even capitalized) was the first machine gun!

Therefore the Gatling gun was the first assault rifle. It would be even more delicious if the Gatling gun was actually rifled.

Archived