Home

George? Hello?

Lime-Light

What. The. Hell. Maybe Mr. Lucas is just infinately intelligent and all his stuff just flies over my head now, but was there any acting in this movie? Really? I seriously didnt care if any of the characters died. I wasnt on the edge of my seat at any point. There were too many pathetic attempts at sattire, too many scientific impossibilities. It was a mess. There was probably fours of movie shot, and it got cut up so bad some areas vaguely made sense, while other parts had the same idea pounded into your head every second scene (the relationship between anakin and obi-wan, we got it after the elevator ride, nothing else was needed!). I'm a huge SW fan, but I seriously think all things Star Wars should be handed over to Timothy Zahn. George is no longer telling a story, hes pathcing it up, adding something to talk about here and there, and making money. Nothing more.

Comments?

I totally disagree. I enjoyed Chris Lee's acting, Ewan's acting, Sam Jackson's acting, and whoever the heck plyed Yoda's voice. Christenson's acting sucked in the first half of the movie, but got much better after the Tuskan-murder scene. Most of the main characters were pretty well done, IMHO.

Natalie Portman plainly sucked, with little emotion brought into her character. The coldness of her character worked in Episode I, but definatly not in Episode II.

The Plot was straight forward and enjoyable (it wsn't great, but it was good enough for me), except for the romance (Everyone was expecting that to be bad). Besides, when watching Star Wars its' best to look at all the films together, instead of one by one. Remember, the story isn't truly complete until Episode III.

I wasn't disapointed. The problem with most people though, is that they expect too much and end up disapointing themselves.

People just dont get it. This is george's Movie,story,universe. He can tell the story as he pleases.

For those of you hoping that other people take over like other directors or the guys who write the EU storys, it just wont happen.

Maybe we should build a time machine, so Timothy Zahn can go back and f*** up the original trilogy like you want him to f*** up any new movies.

I love Timothy Zahn, he's a great author and I read his other books as well as his Star Wars books (The Conqueror's Trilogy is awesome, and the Icarus Hunt...too cool), but he does not have the same vision as George Lucas, and the movies he would make would not be the Star Wars I know and love.

If you want Tim Zahn, he has plenty of books out there, go read them. IF you want Star Wars, go to Lucas's movies. Maybe you don't want to care about the characters because you want to assert that you've grown beyond it. Check in with your local therapist :p

Originally posted by Lime-Light

What. The. Hell. Maybe Mr. Lucas is just infinately intelligent and all his stuff just flies over my head now, but was there any acting in this movie? Really? I seriously didnt care if any of the characters died. I wasnt on the edge of my seat at any point. There were too many pathetic attempts at sattire, too many scientific impossibilities. It was a mess. There was probably fours of movie shot, and it got cut up so bad some areas vaguely made sense, while other parts had the same idea pounded into your head every second scene (the relationship between anakin and obi-wan, we got it after the elevator ride, nothing else was needed!). I'm a huge SW fan, but I seriously think all things Star Wars should be handed over to Timothy Zahn. George is no longer telling a story, hes pathcing it up, adding something to talk about here and there, and making money. Nothing more.

Comments?

WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!

That is the sound of a dead horse being beaten. You want Academy Award winning acting? Then you are seeing the wrong film. I go to see Star Wars because it is a fun movie, not for the exceptional acting, not for the witty dialogue, but for the telling of a story, with memorable scenery(yes, I know the locations are not real, so please do not waste your time pointing that out to me) and great action sequences. Exceptions to your remarks would be:

Ewan MacGGregor

Christopher Lee

Samuel L. Jackson

Frank Oz

Anthony Daniels

I will agree with you regarding:

Natalie Portman(mediocre)

Hayden Christiansen(mediocre)

However, they played their part.

I respect everyone's opinion, however, I think that many people who complain about the quality of Lucas's films have the wrong expectations when they go to the theater. Just my $0.02!:D

Originally posted by Vestril

Maybe we should build a time machine, so Timothy Zahn can go back and f*** up the original trilogy like you want him to f*** up any new movies.

I love Timothy Zahn, he's a great author and I read his other books as well as his Star Wars books (The Conqueror's Trilogy is awesome, and the Icarus Hunt...too cool), but he does not have the same vision as George Lucas, and the movies he would make would not be the Star Wars I know and love.

If you want Tim Zahn, he has plenty of books out there, go read them. IF you want Star Wars, go to Lucas's movies. Maybe you don't want to care about the characters because you want to assert that you've grown beyond it. Check in with your local therapist :p

Well said Vestril, very well said!

Anyone who's read Zahn has got to admit he's one of science fiction's greatest authors. Most of the other SW books pale in comparison. In fact, I would argue that Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future are two of the best sci-fi books I've read in a long while.

On the other hand, Vestril is right. Lucas has a vision and a vision is a different thing.

Hmm this is likely incoherent since its 1:30 in the morning and I'm smashed.

I have never read anything about Star Wars except seeing the movies. And I do agree that there are a lot of people that can write very good stories, but you have to remember that Star Wars wouldn't even exist if it were not for the mind and imagination of George Lucas.

I think your statements really applied to Episode 1, not 2. I actually enjoyed Episode 2 and had a much better time understanding it (as a casual viewer, not a star wars freak) than I did with episode 1.

The plot just moved too quickly, and the scenes which were supposed to tell out the plot were too short and hard to understand, and all the time they could have used to further develop the characters\plot where replaced with another corny gag about Jar Jar getting his dick stuck in a lightsaber...

Although, now after seeing episode 2, I went back and watched the first one, and it makes ALOT more sense now (I hadn't seen it since the theatres back in 99) and I actually enjoyed it alot more.

Originally posted by Irishman26

what ppl r 4getting is that the OT had bad acting on some characters parts and most of them were nobodys. the prequels have ppl who r made and won't be affected by the outcome of doing SW.

Actually the OT had parts filled with people who had it made, they just weren't the stars. Alec Guiness is a prime example. The new ones have more mainstream parts, but I think that that's because there are a bunch of big stars begging to get into the movies (Samuel Jackson being a good example).

Comments?

I think you are totally wrong on every comment exept about the part when anakin killed one tusken Raider and then it just changed seens out of the blue. That's the only problem.

And besides, do you think you can make a movie better? No, didn't think so, so stop dissing on Lucas...

I agree- the acting was dodgy in a few parts, but so was the OT, and the dodgy acting is what makes it so good. Besides, IMO, Ewan McGreogor has the biggest role to live up to- he's playing a young Obi Wan, which we all know the old Obi Wan was played by Alec Guiness, and what a huge actor he is, and in so many ways, Ewan has to try and turn his acting so it's similar to the way Alec Guiness played Obi Wan all those years ago. That's JMO though. The same can be said for Hayden, we all know he turns into Darth Vader, and you can sense that in him by the way he looks, and even the way he walks, I thought a great example was at the Jedi temple after they were discussing the bounty hunter and Anakin has just been assigned to take Padmé back to Naboo.

I think if you really want to talk about the most pathetic acting out of all 5movies so far, nothing can go past Mark Hammil in eposode:4 when he's complaining he wants to apply for the acadamy- basically that whole scene with Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru. Makes me shudder- what a cry baby, he really does take after his father :rolleyes::p

George Lucas=Star Wars

Star Wars is GL's idea, take him out of the equation and you have no Star Wars, you have no EU. Stop harping on the man who has given you and millions of SW fans great movies and great memories.

I personally loved Episode 2.

My humble opinion.

I hate Tim Zahn's books... blatantly... I hate them. I used to love them until the Prequels started coming out... but now I see them as the books that ruined Star Wars literature. He started them off on the wrong foot, and that error has been compounded by the scores of other books written then to now. If they had gotten a fantasy writer to begin the SW book franchise, things might have gone better--Because while Star Wars has sci-fi elements, it is at its heart fantasy. It is an epic myth in the tradition that has extended from Homer to Tolkien. But Zahn didn't see that, Zahn completely missed that and he turned it over to sci-fi.

That is why the books are so hollow, that is why they don't have the Star Wars feel. And Zahn STARTED it.

The only thing for sure is that GL is the creator of SW and he sticks to his vision of it. H ewill make EP3, the masses will go to see it, some will love it, others will hate it, but it will make lots of money. GL knows what he is doing, or SW would not be this big and debates about certain topics would not be going on all over the net on forums like this.

I liked the part where Lime Lite talked about too many scientific impossibilities.....because as we all know, lightsabers are a practical thing, as is the force....those are both scientifically possible...oh wait.....no....and they were in the OT..DANGIT...okay then..........and i personally LOVE EVERY SINGLE Star Wars movie...i liked ep 1, and 2, and 4, and 5, and 6! They are all awesome.

I thought the acting in ep 2 was quite good in fact...I mean, Hayden Christensen had a REALLY hard roll to portray, he had to retain the youthfull innocence and kindness of Jake Lloyd in ep 1, but also had to have the dark evil undertones that will make him Darth Vader..and i think he pulled it off as good as anyone that age can. When he was in the tusken raider tent with his mother, I thought he was very convincing, like when he said "I'm here mom, everything..." and then he inhaled deeply, and just kind of trailed off, very sad he was. And then telling Padme about killing the tusken raiders....he was VERY evil, and good. Natalie portman wasn't that good....but she was very good looking, and so i will overlook her acting errors.

I just expected more. I had respect for geogre lucas and his vision, but now that everyone is used to the concepts he introduced in the OT, I need more. It doesnt feel the same as the OT, it just has the same main themes, not the same charm. It doesnt seem like a saga to me anymore. He's been playing catchup for two movies. The characters have changed a great deal between 1 and 2, and they dont even seem to be the same people (with the exception of padme). I would like to see more of the republic falling, more of what the effects the main characters are having on the universe. The last bit where the clone army was gathering wasnt enough, it was an afterthought. The actual development of the story was paper thin, it was all flash and CGI. It was exciting, sure, but I wasnt holding my breath in the geneva arena, or the chase. The only part that had any actual feeling was when anakin went berserk, and they didnt even show the tusken scene. It needed more; I wanted to see the rage in his eyes, the tears, as he sliced through the helpless beasts, the cold determination on his face as he loaded his mother onto speeder and raced away. I didnt get to, because it was a kids movie, and it hindered it. Then there was the love story part, which just oozed cheeze, and was one huge cliche'. Then there's jar jar, who's still alive, curiously. And every line C3po uttered made me wince. It was the same voice, but that wasnt C3po. The whole head switching thing ruined the battle for me. Why on earth would you want comic relief at time like that, and such a sad attempt at it? And R2 can fly now. That literally made me laugh. How is he going to explain that one?

This may well be Geogre Lucas' vision, but I think he owes the fans enough to not write it while in a drug induced haze.

I just expected more.

The only way he could have gave me more is if he made it last 3-4 hours:cool:

I would like to see more of the republic falling, more of what the effects the main characters are having on the universe. The last bit where the clone army was gathering wasnt enough, it was an afterthought.

*Cough* Episode 3* Cough:rolleyes:

And every line C3po uttered made me wince. It was the same voice, but that wasnt C3po.

Didnt seem different to me.

The whole head switching thing ruined the battle for me. Why on earth would you want comic relief at time like that, and such a sad attempt at it?

Have you even seen the OT? You mean there wasnt any comedy in the battle of Endor? You never noticed how in every battle Han Solo would make wise cracks? If you think about it: ALMOST every battle in every SW movie has had some humor in it.

And R2 can fly now. That literally made me laugh. How is he going to explain that one?

So every charecter that lucas introduced in the OT is limited to the abilities that were shown in those 3 movies??? You mean obi wan was always a slow old man?

Why would lucas need to explain that one? Its his story, he can make r2 have jet boosters if he wants to. Whats the big deal?

Lucas would have included alot more in the OT if it wasnt for the technological limitations of the 70's and 80's.

This may well be Geogre Lucas' vision, but I think he owes the fans enough to not write it while in a drug induced haze.

Maybe he was on drugs when he came up with the Star Wars epic. Who knows. But its still entertaining. Good Job Lucas keep smoking that Herb:rhett:

R2 never used those jet thingys in the OT, it just seemed strange to me that he never bothered to use them agian, oh wiat, he didnt have them.

To me, C3po was very different. I cant really explain it, but the crap like, "Im beside myself" (resting by his body) was laughable. I realize there was comedy in action scenes in the OT, but that wasnt funny, just annoying, and you didnt see any comedy in any of the saber duels of the OT, why would a mass saber fight be any different?

And I would certainly tolerate sitting in the theater for 4 hours if the movie had me interested! I fell asleep the last time I saw it (granted, I was going on 5 hours of sleep, but still, its SW)!

I dont hate E2, I've seen it several times, and will buy the DVD, really, its more than I expected (coming from E1) but I held out hope it would be truly brilliant. I dont doubt 3 will be better, but by how much remians to be seen. I'm crossing my fingers.

and you didnt see any comedy in any of the saber duels of the OT, why would a mass saber fight be any different?

Ummm.....every saber duel in the OT was one on one, and both people had sabers....this was a large scale battle and only one side had lightsabers. They didn't throw any humor into the actual duel at the end between the jedis.

R2 never used those jet thingys in the OT, it just seemed strange to me that he never bothered to use them agian, oh wiat, he didnt have them.

By that logic... The telescope in ESB... we hadn't seen that in ANH... why? Oh wait, he didn't have them! The buzz-saw he used in RotJ to escape from the Ewok net... hadn't seen that before... why? Oh wait, he didn't have them!

Wake up and watch the OT--Lucas shows R2 using a new gadget in every episode!

Archived