Home

Saber duel in 1.03 compared to 1.02

Alexandrus

What version did it for you ?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What version did it for you ?

• 1.02 was better for saber
    • 1.03 is better in all aspects

I only play saber duel w/o forces, except maybe Jump and in version 1.02 I liked most of the moves.

But when I upgraded to 1.03 a while back seems like everything is messed up. There's NO WAY to kill someone unless using one of those unblockable moves, like back-stab, death-from-above, upward swing and back circle. All other moves are blocked, and even if I can manage to hit the target once a game it is not nearly enough.

Now this is kinda annoying, because the game lost from the beauty it once had, when the better player alwasy won, since now I can't see another way of winning but using the moves I mentioned. I know the moves were present before, but at least before that was not the only way to victory, control over the saber, knowing exactly where and when to hit mattered most.

I have my usual duel buddy, which was decent before the patch but I was victorious most of the times. After the patch, not only he beats the living **** out of me, but he most players on the net. And this is because he only knows the four unblockable moves:

- back stab(fast stance, back+fire)

- back circle(medium stance, back+fire)

- death from above(medium stance, jump+forward+fire)

- upwards slash(fast stance, down+forward+fire)

These are the ONLY moves he uses and so far he never lost a match(10 duels).

I admit, the patch has a lot of good sides, but this change in the saber fighting I do not like.

I just want to know if my opinion (that the 1.03 patch ruined the saber duel gameplay) is shared by anyone or I alone.

Give 1.03a+ or 1.04u a go (these seem to be almost the same)... There should be several servers (including Aerys' post on this forum)...

I haven't tried them extensively, and opinions are quite one dimensional from my word since I don't play on the net, but from what i've seen so far, at least things like knockdown (by pull/push and kick) are now far less reliable, and the damage of those 1-hit kill moves have been reduced...

A couple of things still should be fixed in the new patch (although these have been put together with changes by Raven only)... I think one important one has been mentioned here, i.e. almost all the moves seem to be useless if the enemy is standing still and facing you... Even moving and facing you... Even sometimes when they're not facing you... It's WAY too easy to block moves, so duels will go on FOREVER!!! (i made an indirect reference to this in a previous post) This is especially so with the patch because of the knockdown element being so restricted... This increases the importance of further ranging powers like lightning... Saber throw is now far less useful, though I agree with the changes here...

On the bright side tho, saber locks will become somewhat a feature of the game (i know this will favour those with good mice) and it seems that not only is it harder to knock down opponents, but it's easier to get up (am i noticing things that weren't really changed???)

To make things more exciting, the manual block idea has been proposed (and now seems a VERY GOOD option IMO), and things will be much better!!! :) Still, what's been done is a step up from the depths of 1.03, and other moves like the red top-down slash make it into the worthwhile things-to-do-in-a-duel list... Just hope that we can add other moves like the yellow and blue combos to this list as well :)

Cheers

OK, agree with you that the blocks are too easy, this is why the ONLY way to win is by back-stab and stuff. But why in the world did you vote for the 1.03 ?

I didn't try 1.03a or 1.04u, so I am not talking about those.

Anyway, maybe we should try and do something so Raven will give us a patch WE like, not them.

Originally posted by Alexandrus

OK, agree with you that the blocks are too easy, this is why the ONLY way to win is by back-stab and stuff. But why in the world did you vote for the 1.03 ?

I didn't try 1.03a or 1.04u, so I am not talking about those.

Anyway, maybe we should try and do something so Raven will give us a patch WE like, not them.

Hehe :) I didn't vote... What made you think i did??? Didn't have enough 1.02 experience to make a good comparison, and it's cos 1.03 is what i have to use on the network... 1.02 sounds a hell of a lot better!!! But not having played it enough, i couldn't really put in a vote...

Originally posted by Twins of Doom

wanna bet?

i often kill somebody using any thing BUT these moves

I would like to play with you and show you how wrong you are. This weekend I will post the server address here and you're invited, but you are not allowed to use backstab, back circle(same as stab only made from red and yellow stances) and forward lounge. OK ? You'll play againt me(I am pittyfull) and my friend who is the master of laers(he backstabs all the way).

I'll let you know since you want to prove me wrong. I say you CAN't compente with backstab, no matter how good you are.

hey us aussies got some good players... :)

and it is totally possible to beat sum1 wifout using unblockable moves, is just that u cant compare wif 1.02 where saber fights are about timing and good aim, 1.03 makes the players use saberthrows, jumps, kicks and rolls and other manovers to win games, aka hit and run I know its not much of a jedi to whack sum1 in da head and make a run 4 it b4 he backstab, but it's still possible to win a witout unblockables

Ken, you don't seem to get it.

"saberthrows, jumps, kicks and rolls and other manovers" are possible in full force games or in games where force is allowed, but wht will you do in a duel w/o force ? Let's say you hit the opponent once or twice with a medium stance move, he's down to 50 or so and all he has to ho is backstab you and you're dead.

While you are skilled to try and sneak a hit through his blocks(and boy now that saber blocks), he is a lamer and backstabs you or lounges ahead once or twice and you're DEAD. Is that a fun/skill game ?

I am not saying in 1.02 the backstab and lounge ahead weren't present, but the lounge couldn't be done in air or whenever like now and the saber didn't automaticaly block all the normal hits like it does now, so skill was more important than anything else, even luck.

Archived