Home

Confessions of a 'Pull Whore'

[HoD]Rochambeau

Confessions of a 'Pull Whore'

// rant

OK, I know this topic is beaten to death, I know I will get torn a new one down below, but I gotta vent at length and I really don't feel like stopping mid-game to give my rant when I could be killing some whiny little so & so.

I used to play NF Duel mostly but switched to FFA because with the 1.03 patch, block makes the wait too long. When I play Force FFA, I use the pull/sweep combo extensively. I usually end up with twice the kills of the nearest competitor. It is NOT that I don't know other moves. It's NOT that I don't have other skills.

The object of FFA is to kill fast, kill many. You do this by dispatching each opponent quickly and moving on to the next victim. Of course people whine, of course people moan, but they rarely have 1/2 the kills I do in a particular match.

Tell me this, WHY oh WHY should I choose not to kill you quickly? Why should I forego the instant kill just so we can bang sabers at each other? I can do the other moves, all of them, anytime I want. Don't say the combo does not take skill, it does. It requires precise position and timing to pull people down consistently. It takes even more precise positioning to use the sweep.

Would you think more of me if I stood at a distance and hit you with lightning? Would you think more of me if I stood at a distance and threw my saber in order to knock you down 30 points at a time?

With so many people employing tactics similar to mine, why don't THEY own ME? Cause I counter! That's why! I use Absorb or I stay the hell out of range of the move, till I am ready to go in for the kill myself. So many people are inept at Pull, I frequently don't even HAVE to Absorb to keep from going down.

When someone pulls me down, why don't *I* die? Because I counter! I kick them before they hit me or I use Protect. I wish the scoreboard showed a player's deaths too, because when I am owning a server, I die once, maybe twice. But then again, they would just accuse me of cheating I am sure.

So when I am dominating a server, it is precisely because I DO have skills. I am countering your moves, you simply aren't countering mine.

So when playing FFA, I try to get as many kills as possible, as quickly as I can. That is the object of the game, see who can either hit the kill limit first or have the most victims when time runs out. THAT IS THE OBJECT OF THE GAME! I didn't write the game, I didn't write the patch. I have just figured out the most effective way to accomblish the OBJECT OF THE GAME and I do just that. Disable Pull and I will then kick you down. Not because I can't fight someone standing up, just that kills come quicker that way. Disable kick and will use a myriad of other moves to inflict maximum damage as quickly as possible. Want me to hack away and take 10 hits to kill you? Fine, we'll do that in a NF Duel server if you wish. I have even set up a bind inviting whiners to do just that. So far, none of them have taken me up on that offer.

But I will not start using less effective techniques just cause some whiner can't hang. It's funny, the same whiners who complain are the same ones who make liberal use of lightning, throw, drain, etc., the only 'weapons' they can do damage with because the skill level needed for those are much less than actually killing someone with saber in hand.

So, if you're not having fun because you are getting owned, adapt to the game, develop your skills and come back tomorrow. If you are not willing to work at getting better, shut up and change games. I owned before this patch and I have REALLY owned since. I want to see them change the game with the next patch, make the saber more deadly by reducing blocking ability, make every kick that someone does coming off the ground cause the attacker to fall down. When they change the game, I will adapt and continue to own. The whiners will continue to try just the low-skill moves they like and will continue to get owned, so they will then bitch about the people like me that make the best use of ALL of the tools available.

What it really comes down to is that people want only the FPs and moves that they use to be the most effective ones, all others are 'whoring'. People don't like to be owned... *I* don't like to be owned either. Difference between me and the whiners is that I adapt and rule, they whine and suck. Period.

I know this makes me sound like an arrogant, conceited arse, but I am not. I am a chivalrous warrior who is very respectful to all respectful opponents. But I have no patience for whiny little children who use words to describe me that they would not use in front of the mommy and daddy who bought the computer they use to spread their obscene little comments.

*Whew* That felt good.

// end rant

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I use many moves, but why waste time on moves that don't work. The game *IS* more fun when you win you know.

Point being, I have never seen a complainer win a match. It's just an immature response to getting owned, time and again.

When they invent a more effective approach, I'll change.

I know this makes me sound like an arrogant, conceited arse

You're right. It does because you are. The point of a GAME is to have FUN. And when you ruin it for everyone else its not. And you are the most arrogant, self centered, depraved, loathsome, son of a ***** I've ever seen. What would YOUR parents think if they saw what you wrote? Oh wait. They're probably the stuck up pricks who raised you the way you are.

Eh...

Good points and bad points

Sure, a game is to have fun...

But it's also to win... the trick is finding the balance...

Besides, like I've said in other posts... Watch...Learn...Adapt

The fun part is putting your foot up the assfighters...ass...because you know EXACTLY what he's trying to do EVERY time. The winning part is now even more sweet, because you got to have fun putting your foot up his predictable ass, because you knew exactly where it was...

There is no need to flame Rochambeau... He has his own strategy

And for that...there is always a counter-strategy

If you had any REAL skills, you would still get to the top without being a pull whore.

But don't worry. I'm not the whiney victim you speak of who gets owned and types out all his frustrations to you.

"I wish the scoreboard showed a player's deaths too, because when I am owning a server, I die once, maybe twice"

You would never "die just once or twice" with ME in the server.

I'm the one that doesn't type a word.

I'm the one that counters all your moves and makes you wonder "how"?

I'm the one that puts an end to your show.

I'm the one that will chase you down and beat you down faster than you're pull/backstab spam will ever be.

I'm the one that makes you quit out in pure frustration.

I'm the one that makes you hope I'm not in the server when you come back.

I'm the one you fear.

The Lightside is just too overpowered (primarily because of absorb). As a result, I refuse to use it. So of course this means that against an EXPERIENCED pull/sweep user, I have no counter whatsoever. Any move that REQUIRES you to use a certain overpowered skillset in order to counter it is, itself, overpowered.

Absorb needs to be fixed.

Sweep Needs to fixed.

Pull and Push need to be fixed. If they blocked like they were supposed to, pull/sweep wouldn't be half the problem that it is, but since they don't. . .

I think he has a good point in that you should try to win however you can. I mean, it's not his fault the other players get completely owned right?

They could very easily go into their Player sub menu and fiddle with their force powers a bit. Get some Push to counter-act that Pull why don't they?

I think it's their fault anyway.

But, I think the way he presented himself was pretty poor. I'm new around here and I'm still getting some first impressions. Pretty bad one right there.

But I agree with him, less whine more kills.

As several people on this thread said before. The point of the game (of ANY game) is to have fun. If you think the point is getting kills then I wonder how you may not get bored fairly easily

By your wordering if circumstances let you:

You ONLY play FFA

You ONLY play with force

You ONLY use pull/asorb/protect

You ONLY play with saber

and you ONLY play using the pull/backsweep

Do you boot up every game of JKO and think to yourself (hmm I think I'll join a FFA and switch to blue and hit pull alot ahh good way to spend 2 hours of my time).

Let me ask you this, Is it more skillful to win with the most powerful combination of moves in the game or to win with the weakest?

Lets put this into an analogy incase people miss it. lets use counterstrike. Who do you think has more skills, the person who camps with an awp (1-hit kill weapon sniper rifle) and picks off 10 people or the person who kills ten people with a knife?

I can't imagine how much appeal this game holds for you. Artifex the self proclamed master of this game apparently got so good at the game by doing pull/BS and left because there wasn't anything left for him to do.

People who are that nearsighted (yourself included) play like that and win get eventually pissed off and complain at raven to make the game fun. When the game is pretty fun already its your gaming habits that make it seem that its not.

I am not sure how much fun you get pulling your 1000th person and backstabbing him but I get alot of fun facing a person who does BS moves even if I die a few times against him, when I DO win I get a lovely thrill because I killed someone supposedly using the end-all-be-all moves while using my apparently worthless (to them) normal moves. Hell if I get 10/0 in a server I leave and go to a place where people can actually beat me because I want a challenge. With your logic why don't you simply right "YOU WIN" on your monitor with a magic marker isn't that the most quickest way of winning? look you didn't even have to play the game!

I'll be flamed for this, but I actually found merit in what he said.

He noted that it took skill to be an effective pull/bser.

Let me set one thing straight first. When I duel, I do not use bs at all except in special circumstances (a la the circumstances for which bs was intended) or to kill some lamer.

When I play saberonly ctf, if you don't bs, you're dead. While I was playing tonight, I noticed two major things. One, I wasn't getting knocked down much despite many attempts, even with absorb off. Two, when I fell, 9 out of 10 times I'd get back up alive. Frankly it does take a little skill to properly execute a pull/bs. It takes a little more to properly evade such attempts.

I don't condone assfighting or bs spamming in duels, but in ctf it's do or die.

Puts on an asbestos suit, ooh itchy.

Rochambeau has his way of playing as do we all. But flaming him here or trashing him on the server isn't going to change the way he plays or the way you do. As it has been said "For every move there is a counter". If you don't know what it is then figure it out and take him down. Otherwise all your posturing and name calling is for nothing. Do I agree with his tactics? No. Will I flame him for it? No. He plays the game because he enjoys playing it as do we all. If getting pulled and backstabbed all the time is pissing you off then maybe it's time to go play another game.

yeah, i was in a server...there was this one guy in particular who EVERY time he did it to me and everybody else...we all just left and he had like two people to play with...oh well...lol

edit: although when i do play in force servers...i am a lightning whore...

play CTF without force then...at least that's fun and backswing isn't the only thing to let you win

Push and Pull i dunno if should be fixed...i used to think there are ok...and anyway they are the basic force moves...they aer neutral and they can't be used alone for spamming as much as lightning, grip and whatever. But then i was wondering about it yesterday. I was in NS_Streets map and at one of the corners...i think where either the sentry/repeater/rocket is supposed to spawn but we had no weapon in game. So 2 guys (in team FFA) came from the same side and stood there and i waited to fight them. One guy runs to me, grips me and i push him down...whheeee. The other guy runs near me...looks at me, and runs to me for a normal attack but i just pushed him down...wheee....then i thought.. :confused: so easy !! Then a 3rd guy came, saw me, and jumped towards me, i pushed him down...wheee....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe they should let us conuter pushing even when running.

The way I see it (call me a pessimist) the whining will never end. Why? Because there will always be people in the JK2 community that either:

1) Wish to "role play" instead of play competatively (it's useless to try to tell them that JK2 is an FPS and not an RPG).

2) Are sore losers, who will give any excuse as to why they lost other than they just got schooled by somebody with more skills than they have/had.

3) Both.

Sad, but true. Oh well...

SOME of the whining is due simply to ignorance. People don't know the game, and so they don't know the counters or alternative strategies to various moves/weapons and so they just assume everything is unbeatable and try to forbid its use or they complain. Teaching these people the in's and out's of the game should put a stop to at least that portion of the whining community (thus I encourage people to visit the various excellent strategy sites linked off of JK2.net for example). Knowledge is power!

Wow, another one of these threads?

Anyway, the pull/backstab is pretty lame. I'm not saying that we should nerf sabres down to nothing, but there shouldnt be an attack of that caliber.

Still, if one doesnt like it, they can always go to the No BS servers (like KnightHawks). I go there to get my real duel skills up, and have some satisfying fights. If I feel like just racking up kills and mindlessly killing things, I go to fragged.net DM-Bespin server.

I dont care anymore. I've concluded that much of this would be avoided if people saw face to face. People turn into real jerks when they dont have to face down the person they're dicking over.

ShockV1.89

Oh how I wish I could find NF CTF Saber only servers. But they don't seem to exist in my area.

And you'd be surprised how much BS has infiltrated even NF. In NF you can't pull people down, but you can't push them away, kick them or saber throw them either. Those three are probably the three best counters to BS besides straight avoidance, also more difficult without force.

Anyways, I do use other attacks besides BS in CTF. It's great to be in the middle of a strong swing and have some moron pull you and your saber into his chest And nothing beats pushing the flag carrier to his doom.

Good point kurgan on the fps vs rpg issue.

if you're not on the ground, it's pretty easy to avoid the BS because after a while, it's just instinctive when they are gonna attempt it...in NF servers, the ones i try to play in unless i'm just in for a no-thinking smashing around game, it's pretty hard to fall. Rolling can get you out of harm's way a lot provided you roll out in time and not straight into the BSer.

But the NF servers in my area have saber throw, which i feel is excellent for whacking those BS spammers. Can practically kill them with throws themselves cause they don't even bother to block it.

Most of the time, i'm spamming DFA. But nobody complains when it comes to this one. :D

.....with the original poster :)

He's said it all. He's good at pull/BS, yet he can play any way he wants. Kind of like myself. In a FFA, I will do this same (but only when I run out of ammo for my weapons ;)).

Folk complain? I challenge them to a duel where pull/push cannot be used. 99% of the time, I will still whip their @ss.

The only folk that dont complain are the good players. They know to avoid you, or how to counter you effectively.

Its true absorb is too powerful though, but when in a game where points win, why hack away at 10hp per time when you can do it in a oner?

One other thing. Somebody mentioned something about how people get abusive over the NET. Nothing annoys me more than some guy getting abusive towards me just because I walk the games/continually kill them. If they met me in RL, im sure they'd think twice. Im 6'6", 17 stone, and quite simply, I wouldnt put up with it ;)

You can rest assured that if you abuse me during a game, I'll make a bee-line for you the whole match, and will make your game hell......

Archived