Home

Kudos to JO Community compared to Other MP Communities

Nobodi Kenobi

Preface: This is not to bash anyone in particular in other online MP communities, other MP communities themselves or even people in the JO community. However, I will mention other MP communities by name for comparsion.

I was hesitant to post this, but if I get flamed for it, so be it.

I also hope that if you actually take the time to read what I am saying, hopefully you will see that what I am saying is what I believe to be the truth. In a good way :)

With that said and done...

I have been playing MP games online for a couple of years now and just recently started playing JO when it was released back in Dec. and from my perspective, I find the JO community to be much more mature in a lot of respects than other MP Communities in general.

Now, of course, we (JO) have "ass-fighters" and others who simply care about being number one on the frag board and don't care how they got there -- Using a blatant exploit that is frowned upon by the community -- And of course, there is the occassional "troll" or immature player who doesn't know how to behave themselves online (due to age and lack of experience or because they are an "ass") which ALL communities have...

But in general, most of the time, I find the people playing JO to be a lot more interested in actual skill and being courteous toward one another than trying to start flame wars and other non-sense when playing online against each other.

Before you say, "d00d! Have you played on this server and seen how so and so acts?"...

Like I said, you are always going to have a few individuals who want to ruin others fun in no matter what game it is.

However, the point I'm trying to make is that even though JO is divided right now about the "ass-fighting" exploits and game imbalances, in general, it is far more mature than say the CS (Counter-Strike) community where most of the people playing are either immature 13 year olds (or less) or take the game way to seriously for NON-COMPETITIVE public server play (no matter how old they are) and DO start flame wars with messages laced with nothing but profanity -- Often times just to get a reaction out of someone and for no real "legitamate" reason than that.

I am a NF Duelist and am fairly good and I have found those I duel with -- Who never seem to be regulars on the server I go to; I face different people each time I log on for some reason -- To be some of the most polite and RESPECTFUL people I have ever played online with before.

And I am not just talking about bowing before the duel or backing off if they see the Adjustment Icon above your head.

As a perfect example, I was dueling someone the other day and the phone rang. I said, "hold on. Phone", the other guy extinguished his saber and practiced doing jumps and things until I came back. I said, "sorry" and he then replied, "NP (No Problem" and we went about dueling.

Now, granted, maybe it is just luck of the draw everytime I log on? Maybe duelists tend to be more interested in skill and therefore, respect skill in others as well? Maybe because the people playing JO are older (20s-30s) because they grew up with the OT and the new films? I don't know.

What is interesting is that I found this respect (of skills AND players) to also be present in the Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Return to Castle Wolfenstien crowd as well across the various types of gameplay (DM, CTF, Team DM, Objective Round-based games).

When someone would make the lasting kill shot to end the round or match, the opposing team would congradulate them and they would then resume play. The same goes for my dueling experiences as well. I always commend someone for "taking my head off" (literally) if it was skillful and not using an exploit.

This kind of respect happens very little in CS and when it does, it is always drowned out by "STFU Noob. You suck" or whatever.

In addition, I find that racism, sexsim and other negative aspects are not only promoted in CS, but also by some of the major CS sites both openly and subversively (I won't name names, but I think any mature, rational adult can spot them if you browse the message boards of these sites and see the comments posted by the site owners).

Also, I know this probably exists in JO as well, but I personally have not seen it yet (thankfully).

Perhaps because JO is based on the SW universe which promotes the Jedi way of life that these real-life, negative values are frowned upon by the majority of players since these are not things Jedis aspire to be? Sounds corny, but if it works...

Of course, I think the big difference that may be promoting actual respect is that there is very little cheating - if at all - In JO versus CS since the pure server and engine mechanics of JO can't be hacked to pieces by lame hackers and cheaters like they have in CS and other Half-Life based games.

In fact, I think THAT -- Cheating -- Is what ruined CS in terms of respecting skill more than anything else no matter what anybody else says (like there is not as many cheaters as people think there are and that your skills just "suck" anyway).

Anyway, I know this is a long post and I probably repeated myself here and no doubt someone else has said these things before somewhere else...

But if you read what I am saying, it is really to praise to the JO community - All aspects from MP players to Moders, Mappers, Skinners, and those who post on this board (the whole group) - In that I find this a much more relaxing environment both online and here at the forums to come than CS and other communities.

Kudos to the JO Community!

Now watch, the very next response to all this will be "Get a life" - Just Kidding ;)

I have to say I agree--folks on the servers tend to be well behaved and respectful, although there are the few who really try and disrupt the good feelings on a server.

I just wish that this board would stop complaining about 1.03/push-backstab/chocolate-in-my-peanutbutter and focus more on playing the game is all ;)

Well said, Nobodi Kenobi. You are correct - for the most part, the Jedi X (X for Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, and Jedi Outcast) community is much more mature than your typical first-person-shooter crowd. Welcome to the gang :cool:

This confirms one of my suspicions that the forum community doesn't represent the gaming community at large very well.

Take for example the almost incessant whining since the game first came out (well, going back to when the game was first announced even) and that intensified after the release of the first patch.

I'd say we have a real maturity problem with some people, who have to hate everyone who doesn't play the way they like to play and rub it in everyone's face. That's what I can't stand... oh well.

Freedom of speech and all that, but we don't have to like it.

The folks who just play the dang game and treat each other like human beings are fine by me, we can always use more folks like that. ; p

Archived