Home

Naming Bombshell - As Posted on News

Gaelin Masek

This has may have been discussed already but I need to know, is this for real?

If you do not know what I mean check out the news entitles "Whoa.." at http://www.swgalaxies.net/

So now everybody has to have a unique first name? is that what they are saying? This is ridiculous. I mean just the idea of everybody in a universe of THOUSANDS of players having all totally unique first names baffles me.

What about those popular ones that people will want as well? Ace, Emon, Kyle, Bob (well maybe). All that.

And there is excuse is that it is too much to type out? Why can't we just put the person in our friends list and instead of typing their bloody name out every time, just click on it and type our message.

I know I have little to know understanding of coding, MUD etc. But surely will all the money and people there must be something they can do.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Juztyn.

I agree, this seems pretty stupid...one would think that the amount of intelligent-sounding names is much lower than the number of people expected to play this game (never mind intelligent science fiction-type names).

I'm not too worried, though. The developers have listened to the community on just about every other issue, right?

yeah, well no one take my name, I been thinking it up for two weeks now.

Bob

I think its truly unique to the Star Wars Universe and someone got my first choice allready...

Ghedrefakl ' Da ' Bevcplifixus

Not as unique I know, but i liked the way it rolled off the tounge.

The bad thing is remembering these damn names. I remember once... I had met someone called Tergyothilumos or something stupid like that. And then, one month later, I had to find that player again, for a friend. As you might guess, I never found that person. Ever!

"/tell Tergymithlonus hello?

/tell Troglodytimaximus hello??

/tell Thermoswithhelium hellooo???"

*is staggered by Dev incompetence*

Ok I can parse names better than them and I design games, not program them!

Why not just give every player a unique number? Then if you befriend someone, you store the name and number in your 'black book'. The player number functions as a phone number for communications!

Suddenly I'm very worried about the quality of the game...

Yeah, Royalguard, some kind of database could work. Hey, it works for ICQ, where everyone have unique UINs. Everyone can have the same names. You see the names in your ICQ client, but it really sends the messages according to the UINs behind the name.

I mean, my pet online project has a better system for that than what the devs revealed, and hey, I know almost nothing about database design! I sure hope this is just a temporal brain lapse from the devs.

GAWD! Dont you ppl EVER go to the Official Forums were the Devs post DAILY!?! People have suggested that they may introduce 1. a Nick-Name System (ex. alias Billy Bob Joe = Setsuko) or 2. have a Friends list, that once you talk to people you have the option to add them to a nifty pop up menu.

yeah right...these arent the official forums????

Hah...good one Jek...lol

next thing you know youll be trying to convince me that these people arent the Dev's....

hehe that would be funny, over 200 post and all for nothing,,,,,LOL

"Not the official forums"..hahaha...love it......thats a good one....

We're just getting dilusional now kids :p

Alright Jek perhaps they have said that but, they still had the incompetance to release this information. Surely they knew this would not please Gamers.

Why say your going to use a crap system and then state later you'll use a better one... one not just wow everybody with your amazing system and not worry us with the idea of everybody in the ENTIRE galaxy having a unique name.

You think Luke Skywalker was the only Luke?....

The strange thing is that I can see why they did it.

Go through all the EU,games and films and find me 2 people with the first name.

Its scary but true, I can't find any, so therefore the Devs are only sticking the norm in the star wars universe.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, they did this in order to make it easier to send messages to people, you only have to type in the persons first name instead of the entire name.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I had to type "Matt Shoemaker" for instance to reach him.

The way it will be nao I got to be extremly early to get the name 'Jan' in my full name, IF they even allow it... :mad:

Archived