Home

SETI@Home Team

Huz

Got SETI@Home? Not in a team? Want to be in a team? Want to be in a super-duper MOJO team and have some friendly competition with the likes of the world-famous Huz and, er, well, that's about it.

Yes, I created a SETI@Home team on a whim, called it 'MOJO', and now I need some actual members. I could just compete with myself, but that doesn't quite sound exciting enough. So join here, or don't.

How's that for persuasion?

RIGHT YOU LOT, WHO EVER HAS GOT SETI WILL BE SIGNING UP TO THAT GROUP OR IM GONNA SET THE MOJO DOLL ON YOU, YOU JUST WATCH ME.

SO SIGN UP NOW OR YOUR ACCESS TO MOJO WILL BE LOST AND YOU WILL SUSTAIN HEAVY DAMAGE TO YOUR BRAIN AND OTHER VITAL ORGANS, YOU GET ME!

Let me tell you about SETI: its a waste of time. Now, I don't mean that the search for intelligent life is a pointless one, but I personally don't think that there is that much to be found - at least, not within our reach.

And only Guybrush needs to fear the doll.

Maybe it's pointless, but at least it looks cool on the screen!

Just imagine your long time 'just friend' Suzy comes to visit you and she sees the SETI stuff on your screen and she ask "what's that" and you say something like "you know, that's some piece of distributed computing software that connects millions of PCs worldwide to put some extraordinary complicated fast fourier transformations on an inbelievably huge amount of data collected by a radio antenna in Puerto Rico that ist over three hundred feet in diameter" and then she starts touching your face and looking deep into your eyes and then she says "oh you're SO interesting" and then she pulls you on your bed while SETI is still analyzing data and...

erm...

you know what I mean...

Das Jan

Do I really want to know such a female who would be turned on by a sky watching program on my PC? And furthermore, would she be attractive? I don't mean physically.

Oh, and its spyware, by the way.

Is it buggery spyware.

At your bequest mighty huzster I have installed seti, joined the mojo team and completed my first work unit. I dont give a monkeys if its a waste of time - its a waste of time that looks cool and gets my name next to some numbers on a page. How could anyone resist?

Spyware is a program that sends information about your computer to companies when you're running it. Examples include Imesh and Gator. Oh, and SETI@Home. They say its so that adverts you get (SPAM) will be suited to your taste, but none of us really want ANY SPAM, regardless of its content.

Yes, yes, I know what spyware is.

Do you know what distributed computing is?

It generally involves doing some work (the "computing") on a bunch of computers ("distributed"), then - horror of horrors - sending the results back to a central server.

Otherwise, you know, the whole "distributed computing" bit wouldn't really work. And that would truly make it a waste of time.

Yeah, well, some people just don't know what they're talking about. SETI@home does transmit information, but it's just the results of its analysis. That's the whole point of distributed computing. I'm not sniping at you, mind, but at the hysterical nancies who compiled that list you're going by.

• 1 month later...

*cough*

Just abusing the fact that old threads bob to the top like a putrid corpse when you post to them. Come on! Join or die!

A quick note to the team members - all five of you! (The joke never gets old! Too bad it isn't a joke in this case! Join or die!) For some reason the team page isn't being updated automatically, which sort of removes part of the point of being in the team. I'll update it manually from time to time, but in the meantime, don't get angry at me! Blame SETI@Home. Those skanks.

Well, sorry if I annoyed you, or anyone else. I just wanted to post a little 'reminder', since those that missed the original thread (almost two months ago now) don't really stand much chance of finding out about the team any other way.

I've found that saying "<Do x> or die!" is a very effective persuasive technique. ;)

Anyway, if anyone else found my resurrection of this thread annoying, let me know via private message and it'll never happen again. :)

Thats not mysterious, its distributed computing.

SETI has just distributed your documents to me thats all.

Whats this?

'My evil plot detailing how I stole and plagiarised bgbennyboy's sig.txt'

Oh dear, oh dear Scabb

Its always the supervillans who leave detailed records of their plans...

Archived