Home

speed hop?

crystals

First, I'm sure this is in the forum somewhere but I can't find it. I'm fairly well versed in the game and cannot figure this out for the life of me and only see a couple people doing it.

Basically...the person sorta bunny hops around. The weird thing is they can cross the WHOLE board in like 3 hops. They aren't jumping high at all..barely using force (watched in spectate) and not using speed or rage. Yet, they can zoom across the board at an unreal speed.

I'm sure this isn't a cheat (pretty sure) but man can they wrack up the score on a CTF server. I was hoping someone could give me an explaination into this. I would love to know how to do it...more than anything just because it looked like so much fun when watchin in spectate. Flyin across the streets maps and stuff would be great fun! Thanks in advance!

Yeah it's called strafe-jumping. Basically, you run forward and to the left or right and keep jumping. You will fall into a rythm once you get the hang of it. The end result is really fast movement. There are a lot of people who can do this with a LOT of skill, but it still remains a bug exploit and it irritates the crap outta me.

slacker

Originally posted by MediocreSlacker

Yeah it's called strafe-jumping. Basically, you run forward and to the left or right and keep jumping. You will fall into a rythm once you get the hang of it. The end result is really fast movement. There are a lot of people who can do this with a LOT of skill, but it still remains a bug exploit and it irritates the crap outta me.

slacker

cool, i'm gunna have to try this some time

I never got into quake..so I don't even know what half of that is hehe. I tried the hop thing today...it's gonna take some work =/

I'd just start gettin up some speed and BAM right into a wall hehe.

Thanks again for the info tho...can't wait to get it down so I can fly around the streets...that looked like so much fun.

Originally posted by AsbestosTeddy

I'm barely able to believe most of you haven't experimented with this, Quake engine exploits apply, e.g : crate jumping, bunny hopping, stair jumping, circle jumping. . it's all there - if only you just look.

well, i never really played quake much

I thought there was one you could do after you forward roll? I've seen people do this, they forward roll then just keep sliding across the floor on their feet, and they are able to change direction. I've done it a couple of times by accident but I would love to know how to do it all the time ;)

Originally posted by lexx

I thought there was one you could do after you forward roll? I've seen people do this, they forward roll then just keep sliding across the floor on their feet, and they are able to change direction. I've done it a couple of times by accident but I would love to know how to do it all the time ;)

I've tested this out with a couple people on a server. It seems that when i do normal forward rolls, holding down the crouch button to do it continously, they sometimes see me as sliding, though my animation shows the normal roll. They would then try it with the same results. I would see them sliding across the floor, but they would see themselves doing normal rolls.

That's my guess:D

Kind of off the subject, but have you had the probs with being stuck after being kicked down to the ground? My char will just sit ther for a bout 2 seconds sometimes, unable to move. This never happened to me until a couple of weeks ago, but now happens frequently.

Rocket jumping also works in jk2, only real problem is surviving the blast. Not like you need it with force jumps in game, but it can still be amusing.

Get two of those det packs (the ones with the remote control), and drop two at the exact same spot.. triggers an immediate detonation.

I've flown all the way across that ffa_yavin map doing this with godmode on. ;)

Okay, considering 'some' of you are not as familiar with Quake as I am, try this method out. . it should work. Please note the emphasis on should.

Circle Jumping :

I'm hoping you all know how to circle strafe ( not that it is as useful a tactic as some other titles, but rest assured the physics/timing remain similar ) basically all you do is run perpendicular to a ledge, then arcing around by slowing turning the mouse in the direction of your intended jump, then jumping when you're facing just a little before the target. Then, turning is sped up a but and forward is held down. The most important aspect is that you must be turning throughout the entire jump. This method goes way further than any known strafe-jump method.

NOTE : This isn't really that useful unless you can execute it consistently, believe me - when you get to this level it has a myriad of applications.

I'd test it myself ( instead of posting ) but I really should be studying up for my med exams. .

Cheers all.

Originally posted by Xzzy

Rocket jumping also works in jk2, only real problem is surviving the blast. Not like you need it with force jumps in game, but it can still be amusing.

Get two of those det packs (the ones with the remote control), and drop two at the exact same spot.. triggers an immediate detonation.

I've flown all the way across that ffa_yavin map doing this with godmode on. ;)

i've done that (similar) to a guy on the star destroyer map (i was a merc)

drop THREE det packs, right beside each other.......he chaces after me.....right on them...........BOOM, and he goes flying:D

it was quite funny

Strafe jumping was a big thing in CS when people learned how to do it. Easiest method is to bind mousewheel down to jump. Then you practice by circle jumping, the tighter you can get the circle to faster you will go. Then practice the other direction. After you get the hang of it you can try going straight. You should hear a single step sound when you hit the ground if you do it right. And you CAN change direction, it's just takes practice. If you want further details i suggest looking for a faq on strafe jumping under CS sites.

I don't think it's a big deal in this game, unless speed is needed. But you can always pull/push/grip/blast a player when they do it.

Archived