Home

DoubleFine Mail Reply

Oystein

I thought Mario64 was a piss-poor game. Nothing compared to the originals. I owned a N64 but just never bought any games...they were all so bad, it was unbelievable.

Anyway,I think hating Microsoft is easily justified. It sucked out ingenuity and completely laid waste to a once competitive computer market. MacOSX is like a Grim Fandango of operating systems, brilliant but no one wants to touch it because it isn't the norm, which = bad sales. Microsoft is the devil. I hate Microsoft. I hate all things that come from Microsoft.

Double Fine can kiss my ass too.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LucasTones

Why do people pledge alleigence to a particular console or machine? I have a Gamecube. Does this mean I should hate X-Box's and PS2's? No, of course not. Though people do. Why?? I don't have an X-Box, but I still think Halo is a fantastic game. Playstation fans are the worst. They actually pretend that games on other consoles are crap instead of admitting they are jealous. Example: Mario 64 comes out, and everyone with a Playstation says "Its crap." Everyone else says "WOW!!! WHAT A GAME!!" Then the Playstation people say "It isn't as good as Spyro..."

Honestly.

I loathe the console industry because they have infested the gaming industry with bad games. It's not about quality anymore it's about quantity. PC-game developers has also, unfortunately, understood this. That's why we haven't seen a good game the last two years or so.

I'm not kidding. I'm very critical when it comes to games. I don't like the way the industry is heading. Fortunately, it looks like Europe has understood what quality gaming is. There are many great and promising European developers out there. Illusion Softworks for example, with their upcoming gangster-game Mafia which surely will be great and innovative.

What are you talking about? If anything, its the other way round. PC's are more-or-less an open forum; anyone with a PC and some software can make a load-of-****e game and distribute it all around the world. Nintendo are the only software developers I know who actually screened the games at any stage in time - when it was SNES vs. Megadrive (thats Genesis, yanks) the Megadrive had loads more games than the SNES. This is because anyone who wanted to make a game for the Megadrive could do, so long as they had the equipment. Nintendo only let "good" games be made. Of course, not all the games were actually good. But they tried! Also, the number of good games in every 10 games was much higher. I dunno if they did it on N64 and Gamecube, but they still use that Nintendo seal of quality thing. I mean, go to DOTT.com and read about the trouble LEC had getting Maniac Mansion onto the NES. I agree that in this case Nintendo came across a bit... well, silly, but at least it shows that they look at every game in depth before they allow it to be sold.

Originally posted by LucasTones

What are you talking about? If anything, its the other way round. PC's are more-or-less an open forum; anyone with a PC and some software can make a load-of-****e game and distribute it all around the world.

Yeah, but remember who started this overdevelopment of crappy games. It was the console industry. And over the last few years, PC-developers has started doing the same.

Remember the PC Shareware decade?

There's as many bad games now as there ever were, and putting the blame on consoles is very, very ignorant. I'd love to hear an explaination of your theory.

Even with the bad games, so what? There's plenty of great ones. I could easily name off 40 or more worthwhile titles from last year. No one is making you buy the bad ones.

I'm not putting all the blame on the consoles, I'm just saying that they are one of the many reasons why we have so many bad games on the market. And for my taste there was very few good games last year. Now I'm just ranting about how much I hate capitalism and milking the money-cow. You don't have to take me seriously, but please do.

The problem with B&W was that all the features you heard about before the release, and which you thought would be very cool, turned out to be boring stuff when you had done them a couple of times. B&W wasn't fun enough to keep you playing for hours.

As for Max Payne, I liked it because it had good storytelling and the story itself wasn't so bad. The graphic novel was great and I also enjoyed Bullet-Time because it was a good feature which fitted well into the gameplay. The bad thing about it: Too short!

Only about 10 hours of gameplay.

Yes I agree with Oystein. Max Payne had a unique story telling device and bullet time is probably one of the most fun concepts put in an action game. I thought the game was great.

Maybe you should play it again scabb...the game really picked up once you got the Mach 10s....

I also agree with Oystein on why B&W was bad. The concepts were unique...but they were also, unfortunately, boring. Usually I don't like God games and B&W is no exception.

Originally posted by itsgood2slide

2001 gave us GTA3, Pro Evolution Soccer, Silent Hill 2, Virtua Tennis 2, Shenmue 2, Sky Odyssey, Freak Out, Devil May Cry.....

Of course 1997 is still the best year of gaming ever ;)

I don't remember when games come out. I just remember which games I like and which games I don't.

I agree about Black and White. Still, it's commendable that they tried to do something new and original, even if they didn't quite pull it off.

And while Max Payne was fairly short, it was one of the most fun-intensive games I've ever played, because it adapted itself to the player's skill level. It may not in fact have been any shorter than other comparable games, it's just that 0% of time spent playing it was spent being stuck and frustrated. It was always challenging, but progress was always being made. It was definitely the game of 2001 for me, because it actually took steps to advance the art of gaming, and increase the level of fun for the player, rather than just replicating an old game and adding a new plot and new weapons.

That's what interests me. Games which do new and interesting things, and actually add something of value to the industry as a whole.

Yeah, I agree with you, Wossname. I'm so sick and tired of all these FPS games which don't give you anything new, and still they receive great press and get good sales. Why does unoriginal games like MOHAA and RtCW receive praise from reviewers and on the other hand innovative and original games like Mafia and Hitman don't get the press coverage they deserve?

And to you itsgood2slide: Stuff it! Yeah, I bet those games were great! Lousy, cow-milking sequels!

If you're sick of FPS games (and RTS games, for that matter), buy a console.

I think the difference between us is that I enjoy games that are fun yet rewarding and satisfying. Stretch Panic was "Innovative and new", but by no means did that make it a good game. I'd much rather see sequels that improve upon the original and are fun to play (see Warcraft, Zelda, Mario, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, Smash Brothers, etc) than innovation, because frankly, the only innovations left are gimmicky.

Archived