Home

Got A Wierd Issue... anybody got a clue?

Danyael

Hey there.. I am brand spankin' new to this forum. To start off, let me say HI! :)

Here's my wierd issue...does not happen all the time, but happens often. whenever I die (which i do a lot of since i only got the game 2 days ago) , i get a repeat.. my computers almost locks, and the sounds play over and over, etc.. this only happens for about 2 seconds, but very annoying.

Brand New Computer

2.0 P4

1gb Ram

120gb hdd,

64 MX-400 Nvidia

SBLive Value

10/100 NIC - Cable connection

WIN XP HOME

I have the latest NVIDIA detonation Drivers

I have the lastest SBLIVE drivers

According to windows, I have 798mb RAM free most of the time.

you sure it's not the game loading models?

If a new player connects and their model isn't in video cache, q3 will use a default skin until you either die or look at the scoreboard.

if that's not it try toning down the preferences.. go to the fastest setting and play for a bit, see if the problem stops.

i can't imagine that that system would have speed problems but there may be some video setting turned on that's giving your machine a fit.

I get this all the time, too. My specs are waaaay below yours. It's kinda annoying, especially when it was a humiliating kill that gets me upset, and then this sound keeps mocking at me :evil5::D

Reading your specs I don't think that it is about not having enough RAM or whatever. Maybe it's about the soundcard drivers? Or even Server lag? I dunno... :confused:

My guess its a lag issue, could be someone connecting at the same time your die or a lag spike that freezes you up, Thats the only logical answer I can come up with as all my specs are almost Identical to yours except my memory and CPU 1.7ghz P4. my video card is the same and so is my sound card. I also rarely get this but id does happen on laggy servers. what type of internet connection do you use?

Your computer is simply loading the models as the previous person stated. The reason it is variable because the update rate is different for every server. The lower the update rate, the more of a stutter you will feel, especially if many players have joined since your last death. You will see a bunch of people wearing your skin for awhile, the stutter, then their skins load and no more.

You can also press the show scores button (TAB by default) to force the game to load the uncached models/skins, which were mentioned by Xzzy and Messy_Dwarf. You will have the looping/pause for a few seconds while everything loads properly and then you should be fine. If another person joins the server using another model/skin than what's already cached then when you die again, or press the scores button, the game will then load the correct model/skin. I hope this helps!

Archived