Home

Specs of your machine.....

SunBurN

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can just install a second cheapy PCI video card (I had a 64MB GeForce2 on AGP and a 0.5MB S3 Virge in a PCI slot) and use that for a second monitor...

I would play games on my primary monitor (with the good video card) and have AIM/MSN/ICQ sitting up on the right screen... that way I could see if someone important enough to stop my game messaged me for whatever reason.

I also used to keep Photoshop open on it while using Dreamweaver on my primary monitor... there are many uses.

And it is a regular feature of all Windows after... ME, I believe. 2K and XP definitely support it, though. It just adds a new option in the Desktop Properties window.

Athlon 900 Overclocked to 972 on AOpen K73

640 MB PC133 RAM (upgrading to 1gb DDR ram in 3 months

21" Trinitron Monitor (dad just bought a 19 viewsonic)

3.8 Mb download, 1.7mb upload cable internet connection

SB LIVE X-Gamer, JVC RX5000v digital receiver

eAudio 5.1 surround sound speakers

24x10x40 CDRW

ATI Radeon 7200 *upgrading to newer video card soon as I have the dinero to buy one, which will be like in 3 months*

Windows XP Professional Edition

recently upgraded to 2 Western Digital 60 GB Hds, now to just get everything transferred

4 Coolmaster Fans (no comments please)

2nd rig is a WIP:

Althon XP 2200

512 MB 3500 DDR RAM (DONE)

SAMSUNG, SYNCMASTER LCD/TV 24" (DONE)

3.8mb Downstream, 1.7mb upstream internet connection(DONE)

Maxtor 160GB 5400 RPM(DONE)

Maxtor Firewire 60GB

Matrox Parhelia 128 MB DDR(DONE)

Sound blaster Live Platinum 5.1(DONE)

SS Surround Sound 5.1 system(DONE)

RX5000v receiver(DONE)

Logitech basic optical eye mouse(DONE)

Artec 48X12X48 CD-RW

Swiftech Complete Liquid Cooling Kit.

Like I said a WIP, as better stuff comes out, I will be adding it for stuff I am still waiting to buy, etc.

Andy867

JK2Net File Master

http://www.jediknightii.net

Just letting you all know that it doesn't work for everything, for instance, mapping and letting my gf watch tv on my other screen (got tv card) doesn't work, since the tv always wants to work on the primary monitor, and gtkradiant shows its menustuff always on the primary monitor as well => problem.

But indeed, I can follow irc and play games ;) Don't know how it works with two graphic cards, never tried that.

Originally posted by MuRaSaMuNe

Looks like I got the worse computer here

-P3 500mhz

-320mb RAM

-Voodoo 3 3000

Hooo yea!! I run on 800x600 on 16-bit with everything on high and 29-42 range fps.... not bad for this piece o' crap :cool:

how the **** you get that? i could barely get JK2 to work on my voodoo3 3000 pci card (it would work, but if i died, during reload it would freeze my system)

even now with a tnt2 32mb pic card, i cant get the fps to get that high; although the drivers probably arent optimized (geforce3ti drivers came with my tnt2 card :rolleyes: )

also, does pci video cards just suck compared to agp? (my comcrap doesnt have an agp slot :mad: when i get another computer, im gonna smash it with a 12lb sledge)

lol; as far as monitor/sound goes, i suck; stock compaq monitor (3rd one - gotta luv warranties :p, and a kds 17" i got on sale;

and ****, my speakers, hehehe - my newer rig i plug my sound card into a stereo thats as old as my SNES; and my comcrap uses old Packard Bell (remember them?) speakers

I cant friggin' wait for this hardpeice of beasty goodness to get to my door.

Conspiracy Blue- Area 51 Machine

Intel P4 2.53 GhZ

1024 MB RDRAM PC 800

Intel Mobo

80 GB HDD 8 MB Buffer (or something)

GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128 MB (Overclocked by Alienware :) )

probably put my Ti 4400 128 on board, too

Cooling system w/2 extra case fans

Plextor 40 X CD\RW

...and then my old soundcard, etc... read what i have now in my signature.

Originally posted by jaybiggspr

I cant friggin' wait for this hardpeice of beasty goodness to get to my door.

Conspiracy Blue- Area 51 Machine

Intel P4 2.53 GhZ

1024 MB RDRAM PC 800

Intel Mobo

80 GB HDD 8 MB Buffer (or something)

GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128 MB (Overclocked by Alienware :) )

probably put my Ti 4400 128 on board, too

Cooling system w/2 extra case fans

Plextor 40 X CD\RW

...and then my old soundcard, etc... read what i have now in my signature.

Alienware makes too expensive machines. I can build a better Athlon box than that for less than they sell their machines. (Which I have done)

Next project: I'm going to be building an IDE RAID 5 array box (yeah no SCSI, I'm a cheap bastard :p). Most likely = 6 drives because it's a 6 channel RAID card so like maybe 6 120GB drives w/ 8Mb cache set in RAID 5 so I only really lose 20% of that space. :D:p:D

Originally posted by Emon

RAID 5 sucks.

Coming from a speed freak like you Emon I'd expect that... but unfortunately it's not speed I want. It's reliability. And to say 5 sucks without ever using it in the environment it is meant to be used in (for servers, etc.) then you just don't know how much of a big difference it makes to have that reliability there and that fault tolerance. What's gonna happen to your Raid 0 array if one disk goes out? They all die and you're ****ed. If one of my raid 5 drives dies and i have a hot spare set up then my array rebuilds itself by itself and keeps going. Then I can replace the drive at my will. And believe me, with a 6 channel IDE raid card, I will have a hot spare. May lose me some disk space setting one aside for a spare, but sometimes, I can't afford to just lose data like some people can. Remember some people want reliability and not just stupid blazing speed.

I couldn't agree more with you volrathxp, I'm a network admin, and two of the servers I maintain have Raid 5 and believe me, it's saved my ass a few times! The only time I got screwed was when one of the drives went bad and when it did, it took along the one it was writing to, so I ended up having to replace them both and rebuild the server which really sucked. I now have two drives designated as hot spares and only 4 drives in actual use. But in the past when one went bad, the network still kept going (albiet a bit slower in access time) and worked fine til I was able to get the new one and let it rebuild again.

So, if you really know about Raid and it's uses, I'd say that raid 5 is the best and most fault tolerant, that is if you can afford it. For a workstation/gaming machine it's a bit overkill, but then again, if the data you have is important (your livelyhood) then Raid 5 is the way to go. That's just my 2 cents.

And of course Tape back up like DLT or Ultrium is a good back up plan, but again that's pricey and overkill for a gaming machine.

Originally posted by SunBurN

I couldn't agree more with you volrathxp, I'm a network admin, and two of the servers I maintain have Raid 5 and believe me, it's saved my ass a few times! The only time I got screwed was when one of the drives went bad and when it did, it took along the one it was writing to, so I ended up having to replace them both and rebuild the server which really sucked. I now have two drives designated as hot spares and only 4 drives in actual use. But in the past when one went bad, the network still kept going (albiet a bit slower in access time) and worked fine til I was able to get the new one and let it rebuild again.

So, if you really know about Raid and it's uses, I'd say that raid 5 is the best and most fault tolerant, that is if you can afford it. For a workstation/gaming machine it's a bit overkill, but then again, if the data you have is important (your livelyhood) then Raid 5 is the way to go. That's just my 2 cents.

And of course Tape back up like DLT or Ultrium is a good back up plan, but again that's pricey and overkill for a gaming machine.

I agree. But I did specify that I'm building an array box. It's gonna be like a mini server for me in case my pc's hdds should somehow die.

For clarification, Sunburn, I'm a pc help desk technician, who among other things, has to help maintain the servers and do some administration, mainly because we're so understaffed (3 people managing our whole company's internal help desk/support/servers/etc). I've been interested in having an array box for some time now. And to me, my data is important. I keep many many many many things, and I do not want to risk the evils of a hard drive death on my own machine and that data not be backed up or saved somehow.

I dunno about tape backups... maybe.... we're getting in two new tape units at work soon to replace the old ones we have. Btw, I must be either out of it, but Ultrium? Can you clarify what that is for me? It sounds like something I've heard of before.

Ultrium is the next generation of Tape backup from HP. The tapes are 100GB uncompressed to 200GB compressed which works out (if you have large files and file formats like .dwg, or .Tiff, to around 120 - 150GB possible). It's twice as fast as DLT especially if it's backing up from a 2000 server using backup software like Veritas Backup Exec.

I wasn't knocking your machine your planning on building, I was merely stating the benefits of having Raid 5 and for ppl like Emon who seem to be more in to speed for gaming, then Raid 5 might be a bit much. But fault tolerance and redundancy is never too much if your job depends on the data being safe, accessible and recoverable in a short amount of time.

Anyway, if you're in the market for new tape drives, I'd highly suggest Ultrim and backup exec for the backup/restore program.

Good luck!

Originally posted by SunBurN

Ultrium is the next generation of Tape backup from HP. The tapes are 100GB uncompressed to 200GB compressed which works out (if you have large files and file formats like .dwg, or .Tiff, to around 120 - 150GB possible). It's twice as fast as DLT especially if it's backing up from a 2000 server using backup software like Veritas Backup Exec.

I wasn't knocking your machine your planning on building, I was merely stating the benefits of having Raid 5 and for ppl like Emon who seem to be more in to speed for gaming, then Raid 5 might be a bit much. But fault tolerance and redundancy is never too much if your job depends on the data being safe, accessible and recoverable in a short amount of time.

Anyway, if you're in the market for new tape drives, I'd highly suggest Ultrim and backup exec for the backup/restore program.

Good luck!

oh... well i wasn't trying to knock you... sorry if it came out that way....

and actually, i think that's what we bought. Spectrologic Tape units that use Ultrium. Not sure so don't quote me, but I heard the tapes are 200 gb compressed... and we are getting Veritas. :p

we was using arcserverIT before. it sucks!

:eek:

edit: btw sunburn you gots aims/msn or something? i'd really like to talk to you some more.

My (existing) Dream Machine

(Untill Doom3 comes out...):

Athlon XP 1800+

(Papst Pal 8045)

ASUS 266E

786 DDR RAM

80 GB Seagate

Asus Geforce4 Ti 4400 (I love it!)

21" CRT Compaq (Sony Triniton Technology)

SB Live 5.1

DVD Drive (Panasonic, I think)

I run JO windowed in 1024x768, AAx2 AFx4 ideal for editing and screenshots ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Yo Miles, you could always drop the 768 DDR RAM for 1024 MB XtremeDDR RAM. (http://www.xtremeddr.com) from the sounds of that, I might pick some up.

(WIP Rig #1)

ASUS a7v266-c Motherboard(waiting to arrive)

AMD AthlonXP 1600(waiting to arrive)

512 MB DDR RAM

24X12x40 CDR/W

Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer

SSI 5.1 Surround Sound System

12x DVD-ROM

NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti4200 128 MB DDR

60 GB 7200RPM Seagate

40 GB 7200RPM Seagate

Additional considerations:

PlantinumXP PC Case w/ Bue-tinted Window

400W Power Supply