**UPDATE**

Official Server up!

Artifex's Official ProMod 1.0 Beta Server

IP: 63.99.213.122:28070

**UPDATE**

ProMod 1.0 is now up on fileshack.com. Here is the link to download:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=837

**UPDATE**

ProMod 1.0 Beta has been delivered to jediknightii.net's file upload address. It should be available in their file section as soon as their admins can get around to posting it.

The mod is based off of the issues I had in my article "What needs to happen in 1.04" (http://www.oculis.org/asc/features_104.html), which some of you may already be familiar with. Its aim is to replace the official version of the game in competitions and pro tournaments.

Two major things have been done in the mod:

1.) Saber Combat bugs have been fixed. The infamous, "hit-from-behind-from-in-front" bug is gone, among others. The mechanics have been altered to more accurately reflect true sword combat. See the promod_readme.html file in the distribution file for more info.

2.) Random factors have all been removed. All combat logic is now based upon player skill and input rather than random number generator calls. Again, see the promod_readme.html for more details.

I will be putting up an official game server sometime today hopefully. What was originally the *ASC* challenge server will become the official ProMod dedicated server. Any server admins who would like to get their server up and running with ProMod before jkii.net gets the files posted can contact me at arsartifex@msn.com and I'll see about sending the files directly to you. You can also contact me through that address if you'd like to mirror the file or with feedback on the mod.

I'll update this post throughout the day as questions arise.

*update*

A short feature list:

1. Combat Strength Crosshair (CSC) -- This is a secondary crosshair that will appear outside the radius of the normal crosshair. It shrinks and grows depending on how accurately you are aiming at your opponent.

2. New Combat Engine -- All blocks, parries, deflections, knockaways and defense breakers are linked to the CSC of both players. Two sabers coming into contact with one another will result in an opposed check on both players' CSC's. The player with the higher value (better aim) will end up inflicting some kind of effect on the losing player. The greater the differences in CSC values, the more drastic the effects to the losing player. This means that there are no unblockable swings in ProMod, but neither are there any swings which are 100% blockable.

3. Lightsaber Style Personalities -- Each of the different saber styles gives bonuses and penalties to certain types of combat. For instance, Light style gets bonuses to blocking, but lacks the finesse to Deflect and Knockaway well. Medium style is excellent for Deflections and Knockaways, but has poor Defense Breaking capabilities. Strong is weak on Blocking, but Defense Breaks much more often. This underscores the need to switch between styles as the situation demands.

4. CSC Bonus System -- How many Levels you buy in certain Force Powers can affect your ability to perform different physical and force powered combat maneuvers. Force Jump (which now allows kicking at even Level 1) will change the strength and ease with which you can kick other players and wall jump. Saber Offense and Defense greatly affect your CSC values.

Check out the full readme file: http://www.oculis.org/promod

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I'm back with a little present for all the old-schoolers like yourself who got tired of the consistently bad patches. I'm looking forward to seeing how the mod is received.

There's a ton of under-the-hood work that won't be readily apparent until people have played for a while. Just try ducking before someone tries a Pull/Kick/Saber Throw combo on you. *evil grin*

Originally posted by Dark Begger

ArtifeX is back? Thought he quit in the early days of 1.03, of course..I quit in the mid 1.03 days, and maybe didn't see his comeback on here. anyways, mod looks nice, welcome back.

lol, I was hoping you could bring some more 1.02 back into the game, but maybe 1.04 did and I just don't know it (barely played it so far). But I have come back to play, see how things have changed. I will try the mod when it has lifted off, and more players are conforming to it, as I don't want to learn two different ways to play, especially when competition counts on one of them (yes I'm still on twl..lol). if ProMod is widely accepted, I'll conform. :D

Let me know what competitions you're involved in, and i'll contact the admins about switching over to ProMod. That is, after all, what it's intended and ideally suited for.

lol, I was hoping you could bring some more 1.02 back into the game, but maybe 1.04 did and I just don't know it (barely played it so far). But I have come back to play, see how things have changed. I will try the mod when it has lifted off, and more players are conforming to it, as I don't want to learn two different ways to play, especially when competition counts on one of them (yes I'm still on twl..lol). if ProMod is widely accepted, I'll conform. :D

Saber damages are as follows:

Light style : ~30 points

Medium style : ~60 points

Strong style : ~90 points

Indeed, every shot does count. All styles now definitely "feel" right.

This is a big deal to people who loved Saber-only CTF. You can now do enough damage to stop a flag carrier, even using Light and Medium style.

How's the saber damage changed in the mod? I'm sick of all the hack and slash in 1.03 and 1.04, I liked it back in 1.02, where every shot counted, could be life or death.

Got a URL for that league?

twl, 1v1 nf ladder.

twl, CTF, but hey, don't see many 'guns' changes so this one isn't important..but if ya change one, It'd be better if both were changed right? lol

That sounds good, how about swinging the saber, will the ending of a swing from medium hit 1 hp while the middle hits 60? I found that this also partly made the game take a long time...I used to side swing heavy and each blow would be pretty lethal, and I would use every part of the swing to try to hit my opponent...this variation in damage hindered me quite a bit.

weren't you ever on twl? http://www.teamwarfare.net

The damage done is still based upon the stage of the swing, but with the added damage, this factor will be less noticeable. Also, the Strong Swings are so large that only the very beginning and the very end of the swing will do significantly less damage. If you hit anything in the front-facing 180-degrees, you'll get close to full damage.

Another thing to consider is that with the CSC involved, you most likely wont hit someone unless you're aiming at them well anyway, so hitting someone way off to one side will most likely get deflected back in your face.

That sounds good, how about swinging the saber, will the ending of a swing from medium hit 1 hp while the middle hits 60? I found that this also partly made the game take a long time...I used to side swing heavy and each blow would be pretty lethal, and I would use every part of the swing to try to hit my opponent...this variation in damage hindered me quite a bit.

weren't you ever on twl? http://www.teamwarfare.net

first of all i'd like to say that i like 1.04. those of you who say its all random and doesnt require skill are totally wrong. there maybe a couple random factors, but i hardly noticed them. theres only 2 or 3 really really good people i know of.

anyway, i played this mod, (with Jah-Worrier accually heh) and i have to say i like it.

these are the things i liked about it.

-kicking is more resonable

-the hitting seems to be more accurate, i can hit people from behind!

-the damage seems better

the only thing i didn't really like is you can seem to break people defence at all. with a heavy swing you can't get through medium defences when there a direct hit against them. they don't even move, it just doesn't go through unless you hit from the side. same thing with specials, like the fast lunge. it does no damage unless the other person is swinging or you get them from the side.

oh and one more thing, you can't do a kick dfa for some reason, you just bounce kindof after a kick. also i haven't tried kick on levels 2 or 3. kick on level 3 sounds like it would do to much damage, but i don't know

all in all i like the mod probably more then the normal game (not positive yet) but if you included some defence breaking capabilities it would be alot better i think. i only played about 4 games to 10 (nf duel), so i'm not sure yet, but thats what i think.

at any rate keep up the good work

ryudom:

Defense breaking only happens when the attacker has a pretty big CSC score over the defender. This is because the Defense break is one of the most severe effects that can occur in a saber exchange. It renders you completely defenseless to the attacker's incoming swing. Long story short: if this happens to you, you get hit. If this were too common, it would overbalance the Strong style, which has a bonus to this type of attack.

With lowered defence, the game would resemble a lot of 1.02, I don't know if you were around during 1.02, but there were low defences, and kicks were fine. It looks like Artifex tried to bring 1.04 a little closer to 1.02, which is great, and added some extra features that just add to the gameplay.

In many ways, ProMod is more like 1.02, but as I've said, the whole combat engine was flawed from the beginning because it relied on random factors and cruise-control blocking rather than player input.

I think the greatest thing about it is that you can pick an effect you want in your mind, then alter your tactics to bring it about. The only thing that stands in your way is your own skill and that of your opponent.

With lowered defence, the game would resemble a lot of 1.02, I don't know if you were around during 1.02, but there were low defences, and kicks were fine. It looks like Artifex tried to bring 1.04 a little closer to 1.02, which is great, and added some extra features that just add to the gameplay.

Defense breaking only happens when the attacker has a pretty big CSC score over the defender. This is because the Defense break is one of the most severe effects that can occur in a saber exchange. It renders you completely defenseless to the attacker's incoming swing. Long story short: if this happens to you, you get hit. If this were too common, it would overbalance the Strong style, which has a bonus to this type of attack.

the only thing is it sounds like this could be exploided alot, like runing away from someone backwards, or asses who will make games go on forever. specials at least should break defenses i think. or maybe heavy could break defences but not inflict much damage

The end result I was after was that a player should be able to stand directly in front of an incoming attack, and if he was skilled enough, he could block any attack in the game. The ability to "take the hit" is absolutely essential when trying to emulate sword combat. If there were some type of attack that could always break a defense, then blocking itself would become pointless, as players would become masters of using these defense breaking attacks to the exclusion of all the others.

Also, try switching to the other styles as you close the distance to your opponent. When playing against another human, you can feint to one direction to open up the player's opposite side to attack, then suddenly change direction, gaining the extra CSC difference needed for a defense breaker.

It becomes very difficult to anticipate your opponent's position with your aim as they get closer to you.

Originally posted by ryudom

the only thing is it sounds like this could be exploided alot, like runing away from someone backwards, or asses who will make games go on forever. specials at least should break defenses i think. or maybe heavy could break defences but not inflict much damage

Archived